Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 16-02-2012, 05:50 AM
sesheta

Sounds yummy, thanks :)
I am lucky enough to still live in a rural area, and have access to good food - lots of farms around, and a weekly farmer's market, so I can get good fresh veggies, fruit, etc at least in summer! (Stuff gets a bit scarce here in Canada in the winter...) But even then, I usually stock up on things like berries and corn, etc. and freeze a bunch for the winter. My favorite is a family that grows all organic fruits & veggies, along with free-range, no-antibiotic chickens (and they are indeed free range - when you drive by you see them wandering all over the yard, and even on the road sometimes, lol!) Those eggs are the best eggs ever :) The yolks are almost orange, and so yummy!! It's funny, too....they charge only $3 a dozen for the eggs....yet in the local grocery store, the cost for a dozen eggs that are labelled as being from 'free-range, no-antibiotic chickens" is....almost $6!!
And I can get local honey, too....sigh.....now I want Spring to arrive so I can go shopping, lol!!
I remember reading something quite a while ago that someone had written about talking to kids in big-city schools (New York, etc.) They brought some of the kids to a farm, I think...and most of the kids hadn't realized that carrots grow in the ground! Growing up in the city, most of them didn't know anything about gardening, or farming, and had no idea where most of the food they saw in the grocery store came from! That made me sad.....
Old 16-02-2012, 03:45 PM
StephenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesheta
I remember reading something quite a while ago that someone had written about talking to kids in big-city schools (New York, etc.) They brought some of the kids to a farm, I think...and most of the kids hadn't realized that carrots grow in the ground! Growing up in the city, most of them didn't know anything about gardening, or farming, and had no idea where most of the food they saw in the grocery store came from! That made me sad.....

That's my story in a nutshell.... I remember when I was around 10 years old and driving alongside a pasture full of cows, and realizing for the first time that
That's! where hamburger comes from! I used to think that beans, carrots, veggies and stuff came from a factory, not from the ground.... My wife and I
homeschooled our children, I was the stay-at-home dad for a long time, and she and I made darn sure that our kids were raised with a far-greater
awareness than we were! We gardened, and raised pigs, chickens and goats (had up to 25 goats at one point)... our youngens have grown into
energetic young adults, and we've since moved and are no longer deep into the process... but the knowing is now in place for each of us.... (my wife
and I miss the gardening part and will likely buy land again to remake this available!)

It's so nice that you're surrounded with such richness! Fresh, healthy, full-bodied foods (and the knowledge to grow and to raise them) are
becoming more and more rare... we are part of a repetitive cycle of earth-centric nutrition and health via the land, as we disconnect from this cycle
we do so at great risk... we're then in a position to assume that "fake" foods are the same as the real thing... and if all a person has is fake foods
then there's no way of noting the difference....

There's a website that I found that you may truly enjoy... It's headed by the woman who wrote the book "Nourishing Traditions"... It's serious
old-school stuff deeply integrated with the modern-most science! Sally Fallon raised her kids on the observations of Weston A Price (a dentist,
back in the 1930's, who toured the world looking for the healthiest populations, studied them, then returned with the insight into what they
were doing) and she was so pleased with the results for her own children that she teamed up with a doctor and is starting a movement... All organic
but embracing a more animal-product centric diet... It's based on the value of what our great grand parents were doing... before modern corporations
started filling us with junk... I've been bouncing back and forth between the Gaps approach and The Weston Price awareness, and am intrigued in a
most holistic way! I suspect that my vegetarian days are over for good... I'm finally on track with what I truly enjoy... this honors the farm and the
rich heritage of healthy being... surprises the heck out of me, but I Love it! :^)

http://www.westonaprice.org/
Old 16-02-2012, 06:27 PM
sesheta

I took a brief look and it seems fascinating - I'll have to read through it more thoroughly this weekend when I'm not working! Thank you :)
I guess I am lucky that I've grown up here in southwestern Ontario, Canada - my grandparents on both sides of my family were farmers, too (originally from Belgium), so I've always felt very connected to the land - must be in my genes, lol!
Can't wait till Spring - even though I only have a tiny, postage-stamp size yard right now, I am still going to grow what I can :)
Old 16-02-2012, 08:24 PM
StephenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesheta
I took a brief look and it seems fascinating - I'll have to read through it more thoroughly this weekend when I'm not working! Thank you :)

When you have time here's a two hour lecture that she recently released... I haven't had the time to watch it yet but I have listened to at least 30
hours worth of interviews with Sally Fallon and have a pretty good idea of what she'll be covering....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvKdYUCUca8

It seems that just about everything we've been "told" to do is exactly the opposite of what we actually should be doing... Low and No fat is deadly...
every study that "objectively" looks into this issue concludes this is so... the stuff that works is what's always worked in the past... eggs, unpasteurized milk,
and plenty of animal based fats and organ meats... old-school stuff that predates all these heart problems, cancer, diabetes...you name it... vegetable oils are
wholly unnatural... it's back to the use of real butter..... :^)

Clearly what we're doing today, dietary-wise, isn't working... the hospitals are quickly filling with these results... it's time we went back to the lessons
of the farm and raise kids that are no longer prone to the modern aliments like autism...!