Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 29-10-2019, 12:22 PM
Master
Being saved.

I am wondering why does it seem so important to feel like someone will save you? Being god, or some religious figure. I also wonder why some people seem to wait for or depend on someone to swoop in there lives and save them when everything you need comes from within.
Old 29-10-2019, 12:38 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
I am wondering why does it seem so important to feel like someone will save you? Being god, or some religious figure. I also wonder why some people seem to wait for or depend on someone to swoop in there lives and save them when everything you need comes from within.

That's at the root of the problem, isn't it? Not only spiritually speaking but also in everyday life.

You alluded to the answer, at least as I see it, in your statement "everything you need comes from within". I'll phrase it differently and that it's a problem of identification or more accurately misidentification. That is we identify with the "Who" and not the "What" of our being.
Old 29-10-2019, 12:44 PM
Deactivated Account
When someone has no chance (like being terminally ill or disabled) and is totally desperate, it's only natural that they turn their attention towards something higher. Not that any deity would help them in the first place, but powerlessness is unfortunately a real thing.
Old 29-10-2019, 12:48 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerOfLight
When someone has no chance (like being terminally ill or disabled) and is totally desperate, it's only natural that they turn their attention towards something higher. Not that any deity would help them in the first place, but powerlessness is unfortunately a real thing.

The idea behind liberation (from suffering) is a knowing one is not the body-mind. Of course there can still be physical suffering but not emotional suffering over loss or non-functioning of something that is not you.
Old 29-10-2019, 01:00 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
The idea behind liberation (from suffering) is a knowing one is not the body-mind. Of course there can still be physical suffering but not emotional suffering over loss or non-functioning of something that is not you.

I don't really understand this part.
Old 29-10-2019, 01:08 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
I don't really understand this part.

A simple yet effective test is close your eyes and silently say 'I'. If you identify 'I' with any aspect of body-mind you're susceptible to emotional suffering. On the other hand if you identify with pure awareness that's a huge defense against emotional suffering.

Call it No Self, call it Atman. Same thing in my way of looking at it.
Old 29-10-2019, 01:17 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
A simple yet effective test is close your eyes and silently say 'I'. If you identify 'I' with any aspect of body-mind you're susceptible to emotional suffering. On the other hand if you identify with pure awareness that's a huge defense against emotional suffering.

Call it No Self, call it Atman. Same thing in my way of looking at it.

Well when I try that, I actually identify ''I'' as my own awareness and personality unique to myself only, so where would you place that? I don't have a feeling that I'm ''nobody''.
Old 29-10-2019, 01:23 PM
Greenslade

Quote:
In a religious context it comes from the control mechanism of Christianity where believers were told that God would deliver them from evil, sinners all for having been born in the first place and only God could provide salvation. For others the lack of self esteem that comes from their self-perceptions means that they look externally for answers or a 'deliverance from their 'bondage'.

I wonder how many people think Spirituality can save them, and from what.

One of the reasons people don't look within is their own self-perceptions, often it's not easy to have healthy perceptions of yourself when your personal history has been a long way from perfection. When people feel broken they can see themselves as the last person that's going to help them. Often when people express this kind of sentiment there are some pretty deep-rooted issues that can start in childhood and carry on through adult life, and it's not a very nice place to be. For me, this is the Spirituality beyond the ideologies and the theologies.
Old 29-10-2019, 01:25 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Well when I try that, I actually identify ''I'' as my own awareness and personality unique to myself only, so where would you place that? I don't have a feeling that I'm ''nobody''.

Personality is an aspect of mind so that's body-mind identification. My experience is the real power of meditation is the experience of a definite separation between awareness and body-mind. Two distinct entities. One (body-mind) is a unique entity and the product of genetics and a lifetime of experience and some would even say attributes from past lives. The other (awareness) is the all-pervasive field of awareness that is the fundamental and foundational nature of existence and is accessible to body-mind.

Identification with awareness in its purest form and without an iota of doubt is identification with everyone and everything, even cross time. Unity. Oneness.
Old 29-10-2019, 09:48 PM
Master
Quote:

In my opinion no one is going to save me from me but me. It is reconciling the duality that is within us,
between the lower self and the higher self, our angels and our demons, etc. Blending our higher self with
our lower self can transform our demons into angels, and literally make us into a new being.

The journey is a struggle for most and so they look outside of themselves for help. It comes from us
needing something larger than ourselves, something greater than our own ego to humble our ego.
In my opinion that something is not on the outside of us rather it is within us. A divine spark at our
core that can grow and expand and save us from ourselves in ways unimaginable.