Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 30-05-2019, 12:06 PM
Master
How important are the Gnostic gospels to Christianity?

Since the re-discovery of the Gnostic gospels in 1945 there has been a resurgence of interest in Gnosticism. I guess the reply to my question depends upon whether you are a Gnostic or not.

I am not a Gnostic and therefore I feel that the Gnostic gospels are probably not the words of Christ. They were written much later on when Jesus had been dead for a couple of centuries.

My personal experience of Christ's spirit is that it is much cleaner and stronger than my own spirit. I feel the Gnostic gospels are probably wishful thinking on behalf of certain people who wished they were God too.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 30-05-2019, 05:50 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
Since the re-discovery of the Gnostic gospels in 1945 there has been a resurgence of interest in Gnosticism. I guess the reply to my question depends upon whether you are a Gnostic or not.

I am not a Gnostic and therefore I feel that the Gnostic gospels are probably not the words of Christ. They were written much later on when Jesus had been dead for a couple of centuries.

My personal experience of Christ's spirit is that it is much cleaner and stronger than my own spirit. I feel the Gnostic gospels are probably wishful thinking on behalf of certain people who wished they were God too.

i think they are useful and some are more important than others
the gnostics were many different groups of christians they said they were
own spirit self worship would not be right if any did that i dont think the truer ones did.
Old 31-05-2019, 03:11 AM
Master
Christianity basically relies on Jesus as the sole spiritual entity to bring people to 'God's Kingdom' within.

Philosophies like gnosticism and non-duality and Buddhism, and all the New Age authors, rely on a person discovering a higher state of state of consciousness within themselves, and the spiritual entity Jesus is not required to accomplish this.

I think their position is entirely logical and reasonable, but spirituality isn't logical and reasonable, I have found that the light that enters via Jesus is the Fire of the Holy Spirit from above, and this doesn't come to the gnostics and the non-dualists and the Buddhists and the New Agers.

Gaining the Holy Spirit is everything to a Christian seeker, and worth any personal suffering or public ridicule.
Old 31-05-2019, 03:15 AM
janielee

lol ......

@ Honza - it's a pity if you feel you are separate from God. All is God and Jesus's message is pristinely true - the Kingdom of heaven is within you, and those that seek with sincerity and humility shall find that which is sought.

With very best wishes

JL
Old 31-05-2019, 05:56 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza

To each their own
Old 31-05-2019, 05:58 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
lol ......

@ Honza - it's a pity if you feel you are separate from God. All is God and Jesus's message is pristinely true - the Kingdom of heaven is within you, and those that seek with sincerity and humility shall find that which is sought.

With very best wishes

JL

Old 31-05-2019, 06:10 AM
Master
Quote:
My personal experience of Christ's spirit is that it is much cleaner and stronger than my own spirit.

My interpretation of what you wrote there is that your higher self feels purer then your ego shadow self. I know, I know, the ego again. But that's my thoughts on the matter.
Old 31-05-2019, 06:12 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by django
Christianity basically relies on Jesus as the sole spiritual entity to bring people to 'God's Kingdom' within.

Philosophies like gnosticism and non-duality and Buddhism, and all the New Age authors, rely on a person discovering a higher state of state of consciousness within themselves, and the spiritual entity Jesus is not required to accomplish this.

I think their position is entirely logical and reasonable, but spirituality isn't logical and reasonable, I have found that the light that enters via Jesus is the Fire of the Holy Spirit from above, and this doesn't come to the gnostics and the non-dualists and the Buddhists and the New Agers.

Gaining the Holy Spirit is everything to a Christian seeker, and worth any personal suffering or public ridicule.

Not all Christians believe in the holy spirit, so obviously it is not everything to all.... The belief in Trinities/Triads predate Christianity,

St. Jerome testifies ‘All the ancient nations believed in the Trinity’ .

" The word trinity was introduced by Tertullian (160-225 AD) who was a pagan turned Catholic theologian
and one of the early Church fathers who wrote in the early third century to define the teaching concerning
the Godhead. His conclusion was that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit were one substance, but not one in
person. He also did not see the Son as being co-eternal with the Father "
Old 31-05-2019, 06:54 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Not all Christians believe in the holy spirit, so obviously it is not everything to all.... The belief in Trinities/Triads predate Christianity,

St. Jerome testifies ‘All the ancient nations believed in the Trinity’ .

" The word trinity was introduced by Tertullian (160-225 AD) who was a pagan turned Catholic theologian
and one of the early Church fathers who wrote in the early third century to define the teaching concerning
the Godhead. His conclusion was that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit were one substance, but not one in
person. He also did not see the Son as being co-eternal with the Father "

I'm referring to a personal association with the Holy Spirit, that in Christianity is only mediated by Jesus. I have personally experienced that Jesus is the door keeper in the heart and if we knock at His door which is in the deepest abyss in the heart, He will open it and the Holy Spirit will then enter into us.

I prefer to read about the Holy Spirit directly in the bible, not in theology, nor in history books.

When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”
Luke 3:21-22

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever.
John 14:16

The Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
John 14:26

You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.
Acts 1:8
Old 31-05-2019, 07:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by django
I'm referring to a personal association with the Holy Spirit, that in Christianity is only mediated by Jesus. I have personally experienced that Jesus is the door keeper in the heart and if we knock at His door which is in the deepest abyss in the heart, He will open it and the Holy Spirit will then enter into us.

I prefer to read about the Holy Spirit directly in the bible, not in theology, nor in history books.

When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”
Luke 3:21-22

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever.
John 14:16

The Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
John 14:26

You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.
Acts 1:8

You have had a ' personal experience ' and others also have had a ' personal experience ' which maybe didn't involve or need a holy spirit....

Everyone is different and as I pointed out, not all Christians believe in a holy spirit.