Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 08-05-2019, 02:20 AM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain95
For me, it would be none of those things, as all of that is thought.
Thought cannot find the thoughtless.
This thread starts out with the idea it cannot be taught.

This is what the piece actually says:

The first line says that mahamudra cannot be taught. This is for two reasons. First, mahamudra is something that needs to practiced and not learned. You cannot learn to meditate from someone else, you need to practice it yourself and learn from that.

The second reason mahamudra cannot be taught requires explaining some Buddhist philosophy. According to this philosophy, the first moment of perception is free of thoughts. In subsequent moments, the perception of the object is replaced with a generalized concept about the object. For example, in the first moment you see the car as it actually is, but after that the perception becomes one instance of the more generalized idea of a car. You classify it, categorize it, and judge it. The practice of mahamudra is to remain in that original moment of thought as much as possible. Because this moment precedes thoughts and concepts, it cannot be taught
Old 08-05-2019, 02:21 AM
janielee

All Buddhist Masters emphasize practice:

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...=128978&page=6
Old 08-05-2019, 10:12 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
Empty out and open up. Yes. As much as is attainable at the time.

Become vulnerable or surrender myself. Absolutely and again as much as I am able to at the time.

7 directions. It's ritualistic so I do not always attend to the ritual aspect.
It is apart of me. And I of the 7 directions.

But Buddhism is hard for me to grasp the language of.

“I of the 7 directions” ……… a great practice!

running,
Any chakra music to recommend on the youtube?

Old 09-05-2019, 10:26 AM
Master

rain - that was beautiful

but you said:

Quote:
Be here now free, innocent, without any conditioning,
brand new, empty, re born empty and new in each moment

of course you know that is just another kind of conditioning we foist upon ourselves?
Old 10-05-2019, 02:09 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
Rain
what do you deem to be a good or the best practice?

I think the best practice would make one free from inner and outer conflict and make one humble, non-judgemental, not egotistical. Patient, kind, self-less, giving, putting others before self. Any practice that led to these things would be the best one in my opinion.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:46 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
of course you know that is just another kind of conditioning we foist upon ourselves?

Trying to express things verbally may be impossible!

But I press on.... at times...

If one wants to pursue selflessness, one must give up the self. Insects can't help themselves, they gather around lights at night. If one path leads to conflict and suffering, and another leads to peace, eventually all will choose the path that leads to peace. It's how we are made. So at the very core of our being and as a part of consciousness itself, is built in conditioning. Our unselfish nature, below ego and all this selfish stuff, will eventually be chosen. We are conditioned to do so.

There in only one path, and it is narrow, and few find it...

Matthew 7:13-14 King James Version (KJV)
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Buddha's narrow path and "conditioning"....

THE NOBLE EIGHTFOLD PATH
Right understanding (Samma ditthi)
Right thought (Samma sankappa)
Right speech (Samma vaca)
Right action (Samma kammanta)
Right livelihood (Samma ajiva)
Right effort (Samma vayama)
Right mindfulness (Samma sati)
Right concentration (Samma samadhi)

We always will choose higher intelligence and awareness, we are conditioned or programmed to do so. There is a type of "pleasure" associated with insight into the self.

Why would someone choose ego? Well because it is pleasurable. It's fun to be the "boss," to get power over others, to be respected, worshiped, put on a pedestal. To be right and prove others wrong. But it is a very low form of "pleasure."

Imagine somebody who is extremely selfish and self-centered. They get lonely and want a partner. So they eventually find someone and they live together and the fights or conflicts start. Why? Well because both people want things only their way. Eventually, after many failed relationships, one learns to get what they want, a partner, they have to not always get their way. They have to compromise and think of the feelings and desires of their partner as well as their own. Children are another reality that can make one give up being selfish.

The point is one starts out wanting the lower forms of pleasure, ego, drugs, alcohol, sex, power, greed, money, and after many incarnations, one eventually becomes more refined, more into the subtle forms of pleasure which come from more understanding and awareness. One learns to be selfless, giving, putting others first, because the pleasure one gets from this is superior to the lower forms.

Most base lower pleasures have a down side. But the higher pleasures don't. We are conditioned to learn and grow and move from the lower pleasures to the higher ones, the highest one of all possible to a human I would say is connecting to the source of consciousness itself.

But in this growth, is self discipline. It is not forced though. One freely chooses to give up things, become one likes the states of consciousness this leads to.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:02 AM
Deactivated Account
[QUOTE

running,

*[/quote]

just used this one for the first time. was pretty profound hitting channels in my crown. testing it again tomorrow morning.

https://youtu.be/046ezMfvZs8

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4
Old 10-05-2019, 04:57 AM
ImthatIm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
“I of the 7 directions” ……… a great practice!

running,

A 14:27min. video on shamanism as a spiritual path
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnDmKRcxBsI
Old 10-05-2019, 05:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
A 14:27min. video on shamanism as a spiritual path
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnDmKRcxBsI
Did you relate to it?

Did you hear ImthatIm ……(((did you hear)))……… the flute with those deep, dark tones on the background and the occasional drum beat like a thunder-echo?

(Ours is a mixture of indigenous European and Siberian Shamanism):
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/11...3323473877.jpg
Old 10-05-2019, 06:18 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by running
just used this one for the first time. was pretty profound hitting channels in my crown. testing it again tomorrow morning.

https://youtu.be/046ezMfvZs8.
Thanks running.

Once upon a time I did this meditation and somehow it did accelerate or expand my sensitivity:
http://www.gnostic.org/meditations/m...tation3how.htm

Might try that again with all the chakras music.

Now where would we be without youtube