Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 23-10-2019, 07:25 PM
Newbie ;)
Master
Color .Space( Time *) i (* Time )Space.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
' Now, he feels that having a toilet to clean at all is a reason for joy"....'I agree with him.

Me, too as a child we had an outhouse till I was 7 years old. I was I was afraid of the spiders so would go behind the outhouse sometimes. Our next door neighbors --couple with no children-- did not mind me coming over to use their toilet but mostly I was just amazed by the flushing action.

Then we moved the big city and we got our first toilet. Way cool!

Then some years later I moved away from home back to country ---back to nature--- and lived with outhouse again for 14 years. Yikes!

Then we got a composting toliet made in Sweden. That lasted maybe 5 years then wife had issues with it.

So we got a flush toilet and havent gone back since. :--)

When will they have smart toilets that self-clean?
Can those with self-cleaning toilets become enlightened?

"My education has been of my biggest impediments to my learning"...A. Einstein

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."...R Feynman
Old 23-10-2019, 11:34 PM
Deactivated Account
my thoughts

i think you folks need to reexamine some of your ideas built up as being true. perhaps somebody somewhere came upon bliss and or silence without wanting it. perhaps the person never thought of it. he or she just hadn't heard of it.

many have wanted it, and because they desired it they thought about it and put efforts to acquiring it.

anybody who says they don't want to feel good or have a mind dwelling in silence rather than chatter is either fooling themselves or an odd circumstance.

there are times in the process that wanting something can be a brief block. but just like any other obstruction will go away. then if one desired it or not doesn't make any difference.

having or not having emotions is just another obstruction. perhaps for somebody having them obstructs the experince of bliss and or silence. but when that obstruction is gone it should not matter. for many that may not ever be an obstruction. but in having them as they are releases other obstructions that WERE the block.

the easiest way i know of identifying and clearing them is through three means. meditation. being still naturally expands the energy body which then pushes against ones energetic limit. forcing an expansion beyond previous limit. thus hitting what we call obstructions. pranayama literaly pushes things open energetically. shaktipat also opens someone up through the help of a guru. these three ways may not be a way for someone else. these are just examples of things i have found effective as practices.

in my view there may be a time and place for whatever it is that may be helpful. i just think that its important to put the reason for doing the practice over the practice. as the practice is only a tool for the reason. which can change like the wind and be different from person to person. IN OTHER WORDS. KNOW AND WANT WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR! LOL

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4
Old 24-10-2019, 01:12 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by running
my thoughts

i think you folks need to reexamine some of your ideas built up as being true. perhaps somebody somewhere came upon bliss and or silence without wanting it. perhaps the person never thought of it. he or she just hadn't heard of it.

many have wanted it, and because they desired it they thought about it and put efforts to acquiring it.

anybody who says they don't want to feel good or have a mind dwelling in silence rather than chatter is either fooling themselves or an odd circumstance.

there are times in the process that wanting something can be a brief block. but just like any other obstruction will go away. then if one desired it or not doesn't make any difference.

having or not having emotions is just another obstruction. perhaps for somebody having them obstructs the experince of bliss and or silence. but when that obstruction is gone it should not matter. for many that may not ever be an obstruction. but in having them as they are releases other obstructions that WERE the block.

the easiest way i know of identifying and clearing them is through three means. meditation. being still naturally expands the energy body which then pushes against ones energetic limit. forcing an expansion beyond previous limit. thus hitting what we call obstructions. pranayama literaly pushes things open energetically. shaktipat also opens someone up through the help of a guru. these three ways may not be a way for someone else. these are just examples of things i have found effective as practices.

in my view there may be a time and place for whatever it is that may be helpful. i just think that its important to put the reason for doing the practice over the practice. as the practice is only a tool for the reason. which can change like the wind and be different from person to person. IN OTHER WORDS. KNOW AND WANT WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR! LOL

Wise words and thank you.
Old 24-10-2019, 03:14 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
So you are thinking about chicken. How some fried chicken with some mashed potatoes sounds good. Not Kentucky Fried chicken but maybe some Popeye's spicy chicken.

That's "what is" going through the mind. So to you any act of will to focus on the breath or to change thinking about some fried chicken is wrong?

Just saying be aware of what the mind is doing - just 'knowing' what's going on with yourself.

Quote:
What is has many levels, one cannot say they are doing "what is" when they are still trapped in thoughts.

People can be aware of what is in the way they experience it. I'm not saying what 'what is' is.

Quote:
Sounds good but has nothing to do with energy work. As the Dalai Lama pointed out a simple breathing exercise can help calm the mind.

I'm sure he could say much more, but he's not elaborating on it.

Quote:
I'm, glad you have read the 4 Noble Truths but if you are not detached from obstructions how can you say you are even close to "what is". Basicly you are saying I am aware at the moment if I am hungry, sad, cold, angry or of a loud noise from the neighbors as it is.

That's nice but the practice and the realization of "what is" is a little deeper than that.

You have to pay attention and look closely so you can see more deeply, So it is phrased 'ardent' awareness is some places. The phrase 'mere' awareness is also used, but that refers to awareness sans aversion, desire, other reactivity and fabrication of the mind.

Quote:
It is one of the many factors. It was a way of pointing out that is all you are focusing on and missing everything else

But I'm saying be aware of yourself, and it is easy to overlook things.

Quote:
Not just Buddhist..

Thoughts as imaginary is not a Buddhist concept. Buddhism works towards the clarity of thoughts.

The Buddha gave many teachings and often talked about the jnanas and how they relate to the practices he laid out. It's like you read one book and then say to yourself you know it all.

I actually said I don't know much about Jhanas, so I can't reasonably say.

Quote:
Also, your teaching of Anapanna is very different than any Buddhist teaching on the subject.

If there's any point in particular that seems contradictory to you, I'm more than happy to explain that point in more depth. However, that doesn't matter much. What matters is that you know what's going on with yourself - just conscious awareness of the truth, as it actually is, in the way you experience it.
Old 24-10-2019, 03:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
You can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink.
If you want to learn Buddhism read the Suttas/Sutras, or if possible attend a Buddhist Monastery/Teaching Centre/Sangha, not an Hindu Ashram, there are differences as seen on here.
We have seen the misconceptions regarding Desires, there are numerous Buddhists Teachings available from reputable sources, such as Ajahn Chah, Accesstoinsight and many more explaining Skillful Desires.

'The second point that's often missed is that the noble truths give two roles to desire, depending on whether it's skillful or not. Unskillful desire is the cause of suffering; skillful desire forms part of the path to its cessation. Skillful desire undercuts unskillful desire, not by repressing it, but by producing greater and greater levels of satisfaction and well-being so that unskillful desire has no place to stand. This strategy of skillful desire is explicit in the path factor of right effort:'

When you refer to me a horse I'm not sure that's kind or ill intended, but there arises contradictions when one begins in a patronising tone and goes on to mention right effort, and all I'm saying is people have be aware of what they are doing, because that is neccessary for right effort to be applied.
Old 24-10-2019, 04:33 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by running
my thoughts

When I talk about what's true I mean the conscious awareness of the experience as it is, to know what you are doing, the intent you generate, what compels you - all you do.

You know how limitations are reached, so you must understand how that limit is degree to which you able to keep equanimity. If you could keep equanimity, you could remain still with such an extreme and the purification would proceed to a deeper level. This is why the practice is conscious awareness with equanimity of the mind.

Lets look at this issue of obstruction. You will have a fairly free flow and there will be a dense feeling inhibiting that flow. Then yo become compelled to do something about it, get rid of it, but I ask, is that not aversion toward the denser sensation and desire for a freer flow? Honestly, what is it that gives rise to the idea "I have to do something to make it the way I want it to be?"

I also ask mif it is possible to just let it be as it is? Or is the mind's reaction compelling the 'call to action'? I don't know the answer, as I only know what's true for me. I can leave everything alone because I practiced that, an only that, for a while, but that ability is also what enables the purification to proceed - and that's what I advocate.

People say this brathing method and that visualation technique speeds things up. I don't say that. I say just watch and leave nature to do its thing. If the feeling is a flow it is a flow, if it is a density it is a density - just the trutyh of what is as it is experiences by you. Then you'll see how stories about noble things like skillful desire etc are fabrications of the mind in contrast to the pure observation of 'this' as it is.
Old 24-10-2019, 07:42 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Very nice :)

So what cool stuff can you do?

By cool stuff you mean?

Maybe if you tell me your cool stuff I will see what you mean.
Old 24-10-2019, 07:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
When I talk about what's true I mean the conscious awareness of the experience as it is, to know what you are doing, the intent you generate, what compels you - all you do.

You know how limitations are reached, so you must understand how that limit is degree to which you able to keep equanimity. If you could keep equanimity, you could remain still with such an extreme and the purification would proceed to a deeper level. This is why the practice is conscious awareness with equanimity of the mind.

Lets look at this issue of obstruction. You will have a fairly free flow and there will be a dense feeling inhibiting that flow. Then yo become compelled to do something about it, get rid of it, but I ask, is that not aversion toward the denser sensation and desire for a freer flow? Honestly, what is it that gives rise to the idea "I have to do something to make it the way I want it to be?"

I also ask mif it is possible to just let it be as it is? Or is the mind's reaction compelling the 'call to action'? I don't know the answer, as I only know what's true for me. I can leave everything alone because I practiced that, an only that, for a while, but that ability is also what enables the purification to proceed - and that's what I advocate.

People say this brathing method and that visualation technique speeds things up. I don't say that. I say just watch and leave nature to do its thing. If the feeling is a flow it is a flow, if it is a density it is a density - just the trutyh of what is as it is experiences by you. Then you'll see how stories about noble things like skillful desire etc are fabrications of the mind in contrast to the pure observation of 'this' as it is.

Your showing here how to be fully present with what is without need or desire to make it be something.

I’ve learnt that the more you direct your inner reality as it is and unfolding most naturally, into something external or the idea ‘you’ are making it be something, or you are ‘ doing something’ you project what can take you deeper into yourself beyond need and desire, beyond thoughts your the doer, that has to do something in that process.

I agree with you that just by being fully present as things are and arise, you can move through everything (without distraction) quite naturally as a process that flows without you getting in the way. So it’s all about ‘not controlling the process ‘ ‘ not attaching to what arises’ not creating ideas that this means something grand or great’ just letting it all melt away. A lot of people don’t fully understand you can move through everything fast back to peace if you just allow it all to be, aware there is a point where everything clears most naturally. When the mind intercepts, that’s often when everything takes on reasons, stories, ideas that it means much more than your natural unfolding process, that takes you back to your true source of being.
Old 24-10-2019, 08:19 AM
Master
Skillful Desires.

The Buddha encouraged this same mature attitude in his first instructions to his son, Rahula. He told Rahula to focus on his intentions before acting, and on the results of his actions both while he was doing them and after they were done. If Rahula saw that his intentions would lead to harm for himself or others, he shouldn't act on them. If he saw that his thoughts, words, or deeds actually produced harm, he should stop them and resolve never to repeat them, without at the same time falling into remorse. If, on the other hand, he saw no harmful consequences from his actions, he should take joy in his progress on the path, and use that joy to nourish his continued practice.

Although the Buddha aimed these instructions at a seven-year-old child, the pattern they outline informs every level of the practice. The whole path to awakening consists of sticking to the desire always to do the most skillful thing; it develops as your sense of "skillful" gets more refined. If you act on an unskillful desire, take responsibility for the consequences, using them to educate that desire as to where it went wrong. Although desires can be remarkably stubborn, they share a common goal — happiness — and this can form the common ground for an effective dialogue: If a desire doesn't really produce happiness, it contradicts its reason for being.

Thanissaro Bhikku.
Old 24-10-2019, 09:57 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBe
Your showing here how to be fully present with what is without need or desire to make it be something.

I’ve learnt that the more you direct your inner reality as it is and unfolding most naturally, into something external or the idea ‘you’ are making it be something, or you are ‘ doing something’ you project what can take you deeper into yourself beyond need and desire, beyond thoughts your the doer, that has to do something in that process.

I agree with you that just by being fully present as things are and arise, you can move through everything (without distraction) quite naturally as a process that flows without you getting in the way. So it’s all about ‘not controlling the process ‘ ‘ not attaching to what arises’ not creating ideas that this means something grand or great’ just letting it all melt away. A lot of people don’t fully understand you can move through everything fast back to peace if you just allow it all to be, aware there is a point where everything clears most naturally.

It is be present, because its true that you are. You just have to aware of yourself, but that's not easy with this life filled with distraction, and much is overlooked because it's always been 'normal', but a person can make some time to observe their breath just to know 'what it feels like' as it is. I mean, breath is just happening as nature has it, and you are just aware. That is the analogy for ones life. Let nature do what nature does.