Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > General

Old 29-09-2018, 03:46 AM
Pathfinder

Ancestry DNA - Testing

Hello Dear Comunity!

I recently purchased a heritage DNA test.
If you had one done please share.
Please share the pro or cons of getting one done.

Thank you
Old 29-09-2018, 02:42 PM
Master
I had genetic testing done a couple of years ago with 23 and me.........was very interesting!

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!
Old 29-09-2018, 10:13 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1
I had genetic testing done a couple of years ago with 23 and me.........was very interesting!

Hello Lucky 1,

I’m waiting for my results, if you don’t mind me asking? What did you find interesting? How many regions did yours show and did it show your place of birth?
Old 29-09-2018, 10:27 PM
Pathfinder

I am so interested in getting this done. What could possibly be a con?
Old 30-09-2018, 03:49 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy22
Hello Lucky 1,

I’m waiting for my results, if you don’t mind me asking? What did you find interesting? How many regions did yours show and did it show your place of birth?

One of the big things they look at is haplogroups which determines where groups of people who share similar DNA originated from. ..

My sur name Is German but when you look at the haplogroups making up my total genetic heritage. ...there's a big chunk of central European that I expected but also a fair amount of ancestry that goes to Ireland. ...something I didn't expect....

23 And Me also looks at the deep ancestry..as much as 30, 000 years back of both your parents.....my moms deep ancestry was Scandinavian and central European as expected. ..

What wasn't expected was my dad having deep ancestry tied to Morocco as well as the central European genetics we did expect.

Another thing they'll tell you is physical and health stuff....diseases you might have a tendency to having. .
They even told me that my genetics shows that I have a muscle type lending itself to strength and bursts of speed like sprinting rather than a muscle type inclined to long slow endurance running. .....and this is absolutely true.

Frankly. .....there's so much information its not possible to post it all here

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!
Old 01-10-2018, 07:43 AM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1
One of the big things they look at is haplogroups which determines where groups of people who share similar DNA originated from. ..

My sur name Is German but when you look at the haplogroups making up my total genetic heritage. ...there's a big chunk of central European that I expected but also a fair amount of ancestry that goes to Ireland. ...something I didn't expect....

23 And Me also looks at the deep ancestry..as much as 30, 000 years back of both your parents.....my moms deep ancestry was Scandinavian and central European as expected. ..

What wasn't expected was my dad having deep ancestry tied to Morocco as well as the central European genetics we did expect.

Another thing they'll tell you is physical and health stuff....diseases you might have a tendency to having. .
They even told me that my genetics shows that I have a muscle type lending itself to strength and bursts of speed like sprinting rather than a muscle type inclined to long slow endurance running. .....and this is absolutely true.

Frankly. .....there's so much information its not possible to post it all here

Very interesting, the one I got doesn’t show any health related issues? I guess I should have tried 23 and me it sounds a bit more detailed. My DNA was a bit Everywhere? If I understood it correctly? It came back yesterday. They mapped large parts of Central America very high percentage including my heritage Mexico around 65% over all. It also pointed out Mayan that was very interesting for me since my greatgrandmother was native from Mexico and my great grandfather may have come from Spain or France? I got around 21% Iberian and 4% Greek 6% North Africa and around 1% Asian. Aside from the obvious Mexico, I expected to find Native American but no that was not the case, Mayan is indeed an old civilization its very possible since they were near Mexico. I expected to have some Spanish or some French, but not to sure what the meaning Iberian really is? the rest were a bit surprising for me. Hopefully in the near future as this gets more popular and more detailed we find that we are all connected somehow. For now I guess we must wait and see what happens in the future. Most of my DNA matches a large percentage is in USA were I’m was born. The rest smaller percentages come back from various parts of the world. This just confirms that ancestors may be in the 4 corners, we never know? Thank you for your reply. It’s very interesting for me and hopefully for others.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:52 PM
Master
You can always upload your raw DNA file to:
https://www.gedmatch.com/login1.php
- for more specific admix readings.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:51 PM
Knower

My sister had always felt that we had Huguenot ancestors on our mother's side who fled to England in the 19th century from France.

I had always had the strongest feelings and emotions of German blood. My family always dismissed any such possibility.

My sister sent off a sample for Ancestral DNA testing of the maternal side. Then she continued her researches into documents including the public census in Britain as far back as 1811.

She came back with the results of this search. Our great-great-grandmother was Irish, born in 1800. She had borne five children. Our great-great-grandfather was an Englishman. He had been the declared father of three of these children. He had been very ill, and died in 1844.

The same month as his death, g-g-grandmother Mary married a German. What interested me very much about this German was whether he might have been having an illicit affair with g-g-grandmother, or perhaps had taken over as "father of the family" some time earlier with the permission of the ailing husband.

The ancestral DNA results came back.

English blood 8%. A shock. Not enough for any English descent. We could not be descendants of the alleged "g-g-grandfather".
Irish blood 30%. That would be our g-g-grandmother. Correct.

Scandinavian blood 25%. I asked my sister if she had any better information about the German.
"Yes, his surname was Förn."
That is a Swedish surname. Scandinavian.
"Any more information about Förn?"
"Yes, his father was a farmer in Mecklenburg from the 18th century."

And so the ancestral DNA had got it right again. In the 18th century there had been considerable immigration of Swedes into Mecklenburg, the big province of lakes and marsh on the Baltic which at that time was a Duchy but was then incorporated into the German First Reich by Bismarck.

And so there had definitely been some "funny business" between g-g-grandmother and the German Förn, and he IS our g-g-grandfather although the English family name was retained.

As for the Huguenots, it appears to be impossible to separate French, Belgian and West German blood along the Rhine and so we also have 25% West European blood but no real way of tracing to whom it belonged.

The ancestral DNA results combined with the documentary research done by my sister were absolutely fantastic and self-confirming.
Old 15-12-2018, 07:26 PM
Master
I have to say...ye need to take all this with a grain of salt ....

Mum paid for us to send in a kit because she's really got into all this genealogy on her off hours.

First go-round, it seemed fairly reasonable and more or less what was expected. Though my British Isles v North Western Europe was divvied up a bit differently to my mum and brother. Good enough. The interesting tidbits were all there and some random bits as well, just for variety

Then they revised it all a few months later, as they may do whenever they feel it's appropriate. Now we are all basically the same, as they've combined that British Isles & NW Europe. But all our interesting smaller bits (<20%) are gone, aside from the bit of Irish they count separate to the British Isles overlap.

It's all bland, boring, and suspiciously generic-looking now
Perhaps next go round they'll add some of the previous detail back in, LOL. What I'm saying is, I wouldn't count on these tests to tell you anything concrete that you don't already know about your history.
As it seems the results are pretty widely open to redistribution and other tampering.

I think the historic aspect of the genealogy is probably a far sounder and richer way of ascertaining one's roots, unless there is no way to do that. So to the extent these tools can aid that, that could be a good thing.

My point is, if you know you are part whatever by ancestry and/or culture and upbringing, who cares if the test says this or that or the other thing?

And beyond that, you are from these things, but none of it defines who you are at core. These things are simply a part of your story and your journey, and they can be a very meaningful part, but in the end you decide who you are. Amen.

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 16-12-2018, 01:07 AM
leadville

It was 23 and Me and my wife was desperately disappointed and let down by the non-specific information she received.

Adopted as a child and from a Mediterranean country she hoped to gain some insight into her origin, at least the general area. But there was nothing and for weeks following the follow-on links increased the level of her frustration.

She hates the whole business now and is extremely unlikely ever to try again to research where she came from, everything seeming to her to be a money-making con.