Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Old 12-01-2014, 05:57 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
This is an approach to life that I support. Just think how the whole world would be if everyone could think like this and carry through with action. My beliefs aren't as strong as they once were and I have become somewhat complacent. That's why it's easier to turn away from the evils of the world and keep my own inner workings in a peaceful place. I admire the selflessness of those that get involved in making positive changes for others, but it always starts at home first.

Blackraven

Yea... that makes sense, and self awareness means paying attention to what's going on with self, consistently and continually. The personal peace can be disturbed because we ourselves are over reacting. I have read about the monsters of child protection issues on this thread, and that's a pretty good example of how another person's actions do disturb the peace, and that's the thing to be aware of, what's happening to the internal world. Probably more important to be aware and less important to change anything, I reckon, because being aware is 'now' and change can happen into the future, as we live and learn.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:12 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville
I think that somewhere in our primordial make up Violence has it's place, Particularly when we had to hunt to survive, prior to the Agricultural revolution of the Bronze Age. That Germ of Violent tendency for survival carried on of course to the instinct of self preservation and the many subsequent battles and wars.

So it is in you and a part of who you are, that said I have always run away from a Fight where possible.. In todays age that primordial predisposition needs, I think , an out let still, to prevent an imbalance occurring.

The most Ideal way in my opinion to allow this aspect of ourselves it's air time is catharsis, This can take the form of knocking ten bells out of the punchbag down the gym or blasting alien hordes of zombies in a video game.

I do understand that people like to suppress this side of themselves because it is kind of dark and potentially unpleasant, however the consequences of burying and suppressing this aspect of the self carries with it also a certain danger.

I would not suppose catharsis to be anything like the actual expression of physical violence and therefore I would not suppose that it would de sensitize one to the real acts of violence....personally speaking. So while never dreaming of deliberately physically hurting anyone, I have no qualms about annihilating a whole alien armada on the x box as I can demarcate what is material and that which is not...

Or maybe I am accruing Video game karmic debt , in which case I reckon I have pretty much blown my chances of ascending eventually.

Yea... it's actually obvious as an observation of human nature that Man has nasty aspects to human nature, I can see it in myself and other people... though that is countered by the utmost loving kindness, and acknowledgment extreme cruelty.

I wonder if the desire to make things better is a mere imposition on others who may have more extreme violent tendancies, and because such individuals don't meet our own standards, they are ostracised... I mean the justice system is punishment to a large degree, and maybe it help to protect somewhat too. Society is still a bit too over reactive to approach the issues pragmatically though, so will probably adhere to the crime and punishment ethos for some time to come...
Old 12-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville
I think that somewhere in our primordial make up Violence has it's place, Particularly when we had to hunt to survive, prior to the Agricultural revolution of the Bronze Age. That Germ of Violent tendency for survival carried on of course to the instinct of self preservation and the many subsequent battles and wars.

So it is in you and a part of who you are, that said I have always run away from a Fight where possible.. In todays age that primordial predisposition needs, I think , an out let still, to prevent an imbalance occurring.

The most Ideal way in my opinion to allow this aspect of ourselves it's air time is catharsis, This can take the form of knocking ten bells out of the punchbag down the gym or blasting alien hordes of zombies in a video game.

I do understand that people like to suppress this side of themselves because it is kind of dark and potentially unpleasant, however the consequences of burying and suppressing this aspect of the self carries with it also a certain danger.

I would not suppose catharsis to be anything like the actual expression of physical violence and therefore I would not suppose that it would de sensitize one to the real acts of violence....personally speaking. So while never dreaming of deliberately physically hurting anyone, I have no qualms about annihilating a whole alien armada on the x box as I can demarcate what is material and that which is not...

Or maybe I am accruing Video game karmic debt , in which case I reckon I have pretty much blown my chances of ascending eventually.

Neville - Some of the more recent mass murders in the U.S. after investigation revealed that the perpetrator of these crimes were avid players of violent video games at an obsessive level. I won't point out which ones because that's just advertising their crimes. I understand where you're coming from when you say basically you can safely express pent up frustration and anger via violent video games or war-like games. I suppose there is some truth to that as anyone can be harboring pent up anger. Similar types of things have been used for training military. That scares me. I used to let my son play some games I didn't approve of, but he assured me they were simply games and in real life he's a compassionate person that wouldn't carry out the crimes that are contained in the games. Many gamers say it's a skill set to mastering these games. But the mental balance in a person can be interrupted by outside forces that can then draw upon violent game-playing experiences. I guess the ruling on whether or not they're a healthy outlet is still in the works. Interesting post, Neville.

Blackraven
Old 17-01-2014, 08:55 AM
Niebla0007

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
When you see violence in the news, on TV, video games or in a movie how does it make you feel?
I fear becoming desensitized to violence and that is something I can’t live with. I say, “Oh that’s so horrible” or I cringe, but I wonder if the abundance of it in my face makes me feel less horrified than I should be.
What is happening to the world we live in?
Seems in bad taste to capitalize on violence; even reporters do it.

Yes, violence which is also largely capitalized in books
is what a lot of people see in the works of my favourite writer.
But what I really find interesting about his work
(apart from him being special to me for being the same age, etc.
& having dreamed of him way before coming across his books)
is how fantastic he is in action-
where of course, there is violence as much as thrills and great men getting through dangers, etc.
I always liked action since I was a kid.
My first favourite action tv series was the Shogun
& I remember how I loved another tv program series of
policewoman chasing bad guys I wanted to be just like her when I grow up.
I've also been enjoying the thrill of some, but not all horror movies
as much as I enjoy movies of witty games and witty comedy.
I already was into thrilling activities and adventures, movies, books, etc. before I even came across his work
so, it's not really him who's got me inspired/into loving all of that.
Whether I became desensitized to violence in the news, on TV, video games, in a movie, or books,
I do not live in violence and I do not want violence in real life.

Anyway, I just simply think of numerous ways of applying the energy everyone wants to let off into something useful and creative - like into
Sports, competitions, hobbies, even into jobs
instead of resorting into violence to spend energy with.
Old 17-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebla0007
Anyway, I just simply think of numerous ways of applying the energy everyone wants to let off into something useful and creative - like into Sports, competitions, hobbies, even into jobs
instead of resorting into violence to spend energy with.

I agree completely, Niebla0007. I wish kids would get back outside and play with other neighborhood kids in physical games and athletics instead of sitting behind a tv screen working game controls. Obesity is a problem and if kids would play less video games and be more active, we'd have far less kids with health problems that you don't expect to see until adulthood. Thanks for your input, Niebla0007.

Blackraven
Old 18-01-2014, 01:13 AM
Master
I couldn't be sure if video games are linked to violence. To me it seems like they replaced child play such a cowboys and indians, cops and robbers and 'playing war'.

In speculating on video games, I read this article. http://www.theguardian.com/science/h...nce-psychology
Old 18-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I couldn't be sure if video games are linked to violence. To me it seems like they replaced child play such a cowboys and indians, cops and robbers and 'playing war'.

In speculating on video games, I read this article. http://www.theguardian.com/science/h...nce-psychology

Thanks for that link, Gem. I read it and came to the conclusion that there are no clear cut conclusions as to whether or not violent video games cause violent tendencies in players. Interesting read.

Blackraven
Old 17-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Djurplagare89

Bunny

This has been going on for centuries of mankind species. In nature its a deathsense if you show signs of emotion like fear or sadness. If you are disregarded you may have a chance to survive. We are ALL an animal, in denial. We thought we werent an animal and that they were uncivilized, like the native people for example, white man took their ("savages") land away not knowing how to live with Mother Nature. "Civilized" is only a word of knowledge to disaster. No way the technique will save our world to the better!

Humans are packanimals, we do care about our pack, if another goes ill, you will too, and so on...
But your poise is decreasing while emotions are showing.

Animals -> Human -> Robot -> ?
Old 24-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djurplagare89
But your poise is decreasing while emotions are showing.

What do you mean by this Djurplagare89?

Blackraven