Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 05-02-2018, 07:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquotl
I try. don't always succeed) to see memories as thoughts arising Now.

That at least takes away some of the story from the past.
Sati often translated as mindfulness means more literally "To keep in mind"
Which sometimes is translated as to remember.

When meditating for instance it's beneficial to keep your meditation object in mind.

WIth Love
Eelco

I was reading an article a few days ago that said Mindfulness is actually bad for the memory, I don't see how they decided that but I suppose it depends on each individual.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:36 AM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
I was reading an article a few days ago that said Mindfulness is actually bad for the memory, I don't see how they decided that but I suppose it depends on each individual.

Venerable Sujato has a little something to say about that here.
The interesting part comes on at the 2.56 minute mark.

I think it may stem from improper instruction and a lack of common sense in the meditater.

With Love
Eelco
Old 05-02-2018, 10:44 AM
Master
[quote=catsquotl]Venerable Sujato has a little something to say about that here.
The interesting part comes on at the 2.56 minute mark.

I think it may stem from improper instruction and a lack of common sense in the meditater.

With Love
Eelco[/QUOTE

I like his ' Down to earth ' attitude. Thanks
Old 05-02-2018, 10:50 AM
Master
Mindfulness may make memories less accurate
Date:
September 9, 2015
Source:
Association for Psychological Science
Summary:
Mindfulness meditation is associated with all sorts of benefits to mental and physical well-being, but a new study suggests that it may also come with a particular downside for memory. The findings show that participants who engaged in a 15-minute mindfulness meditation session were less able to differentiate items they actually encountered from items they only imagined.
Share:

FULL STORY
Mindfulness meditation is associated with all sorts of benefits to mental and physical well-being, but a new study suggests that it may also come with a particular downside for memory. The findings, published in Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science, show that participants who engaged in a 15-minute mindfulness meditation session were less able to differentiate items they actually encountered from items they only imagined.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0909124838.htm
Old 05-02-2018, 09:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomingtree
My thinking on this, sky123, is that it depends on how meditation is defined here. And how the participants actually do the meditation.

Mindfulness is similar to alertness, awareness. Maybe it reduces memory, but maybe it also just helps us live in this moment much more strongly and enhances our lives overall. It could be anything, but I think the variable is also what is mindfulness meditation and how is the person doing it.

Guardian explained how this experiment worked: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...th-mindfulness

(I got about 7 - and didn't recall any false words. When it comes to mindfulness and utilizing your memory I don't find these incompatible per se but it could just be me hehe )

Love

BT

Oh well I beat you I got 8 right, but....... only because we had spent three days with a broom putting garbage in refuse sacks and recycling in cardboard boxes ready to take to the waste tip, believe it or not, clearing the garden and shed out.

I personally don't believe the article but mybe it does make the memory worse for some people. I always say it's best to try things yourself and see how it goes, expect nothing and see what you get.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomingtree

Well...I think that when we recollect a memory, we are recalling our perception and thought of that memory. How we felt/what we can extract of it at this time.

Like all memories and all perception (for the most part) it is coming through our own lens and interpretation.

I suspect that for the Sages like Ramana Maharsi for example, they are seeing through the simplicity of a loving heart, and it is just simpler overall.

For example, when you walk in nature of take a stroll in your backyard, and are feeling at peace in your heart - no thoughts or feelings arising - there is just 'this'.

In that there is less interpretation and there is a lot more serenity too perhaps?

When we recall memories, we are recalling our interpretation of an event in time, and interestingly enough memories arise only in the present moment - which is also all of eternity.

My 2c

BT

PS Your inquiry into this is a good one, I think, it helps us to see that our lens for this day is just-so, makes letting go a little easier "tomorrow"

So what can we trust?
I am wondering about two minds, one for thinking and one for observing and mybe you can trust the observing but not the thinking, 🤔