Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Dreams > Lucid Dreaming

Old 06-12-2016, 08:48 PM
Master
Horrifying Experience without Sleep Aid

I have been an insomniac for years and years and for the last 20 years I've taken a sleep aid to sleep (the type is irrelevant). Last night was the first time I can recall ever that I forgot to take my sleep aid. I fell asleep on my own, but was in a horrifying wrestle with something that kept grabbing me. I tried to scream, but nothing came out of my mouth. Every time I tried to attempt to get out of the bed, something just kept grabbing me and holding me. This went on for a long time. Finally I broke out of this situation (lucid dreaming) and got the bed stand light on. My heart was pounding, I was shaking, my breathing was fast and I just sat up in bed for a good 20 minutes dazed and confused. I noticed the covers were thrown up away from the sides of the bed. At the time I felt like it wasn't a nightmare, but real.

When I reached for a glass of water on the bed stand, that's when I discovered the sleep aid sitting there untouched. I thought to myself, no wonder. I usually don't have these kind of violent nightmares, but when I slept without the sleep aid I quickly went into a terrifying experience.

Now I'm wondering if I have such experiences with the sleep aid, but I just don't become conscious of them since I'm in such an induced artificial sleep. Any thoughts on this?
Old 06-12-2016, 09:24 PM
Master
I don't know a thing about lucid dreaming, but the way you described your experience is reminiscent of conversations I've heard about sleep paralysis.

Hope it doesn't happen again...are you going to take your sleep aid or lay off of it for a night or two to see what happens next? Keep me posted.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:53 PM
Master

Guess you could experiment and see if it happens again.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:11 PM
Master
Silver and Linen53 - I do believe it was a type of sleep paralysis. As for experimenting by not taking a sleep aid, I habitually take one every night to sleep. I have tried to sleep at night without them and I may sleep for an hour or two, but that's it. I just toss and turn and stare at the ceiling all night. Interestingly, I don't usually remember most dreams from my night time sleep, but if I get a quick 1 hour nap in sometime during the day time, I dream like crazy. I'm sure I dream at night too, just don't recall usually. I wish that I could go without using a sleep aid, but it's futile. I guess it's just the way I'm wired. Thanks for both your input.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator
This is just my own personal idea about this....I may be wrong...I don't know.

With the sleep aid you always enter a deep sleep.

Without it, you probably entered a light kind of sleep. One where you are half awake, half asleep.
That can start an out of body experience. I know. I will almost always have an out of body experience when I get that kind of sleep.
Now there is nothing wrong with that in itself, but if you got into a position where you were just slightly 'out' (or just slightly aware of the astral/etheric body going out of synch with the physical consciousness) -then yes it can sometimes happen that 'lower astral' things can be sensed.
That might have been why it felt so real, and not really dream-like. Because it was an 'astral' experience.
It could be because of a lack of awareness of what was happening at that moment, that you 'hovered' in that particular zone or frequency, unable to move out of it and unable to come back....until something gave....i.e. there was a natural pull back to the physical body.

Having an experience in the dense level of the astral can sometimes be pretty scary and not very nice. I know. I have had them too, in the past.

But those zones do not have to be encountered when leaving the body. You were just unlucky I think. Plus you may have had something which was not allowing you to release properly, so you got kind of stuck in that dense level.
There are so many frequencies, so many different zones and levels of energy, the chance is you won't encounter that particular one again.
Really....look on it as something which has now passed even though it was horrible.

But try to do anything which:
Will raise your own personal vibration.
Will raise your awareness when in the 'in-between' state, so you can take action before something is encountered which frequents those dense levels.

Deep sleep of course is one solution. You will be fine there. Don't worry about anything 'getting you' and you weren't aware of it. It's my opinion you just accidentally ventured into a dense layer of the lower astral while temporarily, and very hesitantly, leaving the body while not in full conscious control or awareness.

A sleep aid is your personal solution. So do what you feel is right and most helpful for you. There are also other methods -natural ones -of achieving deep sleep.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:00 AM
Master

blackraven I take sleep aids each night as well, but I have to take different ones each night or I get used to them and that will render them ineffective. So I have about 10 different brands that I change out each night. So I do understand.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:03 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
This is just my own personal idea about this....I may be wrong...I don't know.

With the sleep aid you always enter a deep sleep.

Without it, you probably entered a light kind of sleep. One where you are half awake, half asleep.
That can start an out of body experience. I know. I will almost always have an out of body experience when I get that kind of sleep.
Now there is nothing wrong with that in itself, but if you got into a position where you were just slightly 'out' (or just slightly aware of the astral/etheric body going out of synch with the physical consciousness) -then yes it can sometimes happen that 'lower astral' things can be sensed.
That might have been why it felt so real, and not really dream-like. Because it was an 'astral' experience.
It could be because of a lack of awareness of what was happening at that moment, that you 'hovered' in that particular zone or frequency, unable to move out of it and unable to come back....until something gave....i.e. there was a natural pull back to the physical body.

Having an experience in the dense level of the astral can sometimes be pretty scary and not very nice. I know. I have had them too, in the past.

But those zones do not have to be encountered when leaving the body. You were just unlucky I think. Plus you may have had something which was not allowing you to release properly, so you got kind of stuck in that dense level.
There are so many frequencies, so many different zones and levels of energy, the chance is you won't encounter that particular one again.
Really....look on it as something which has now passed even though it was horrible.

But try to do anything which:
Will raise your own personal vibration.
Will raise your awareness when in the 'in-between' state, so you can take action before something is encountered which frequents those dense levels.

Deep sleep of course is one solution. You will be fine there. Don't worry about anything 'getting you' and you weren't aware of it. It's my opinion you just accidentally ventured into a dense layer of the lower astral while temporarily, and very hesitantly, leaving the body while not in full conscious control or awareness.

A sleep aid is your personal solution. So do what you feel is right and most helpful for you. There are also other methods -natural ones -of achieving deep sleep.

Tobi - Thanks for your input about this possibly being a type of astral travel. Sounds like I was resisting leaving the lower denser layer. Before I ever started taking a sleep aid, I had all kinds of experiences while trying to sleep. Some of them good, but most of them felt frightening as if I was being attacked. I also am of the belief that spirits on other levels can visit one when his/her guard is down. Several months back I woke up suddenly to my cell phone lighting up the room on the bed stand when it should have remained off and at the same time, my wave machine had voices coming from it. That gets into the paranormal, I know; I just think these types of visits from lower level entities tend to happen at night when we don't have overload from day time noises and distractions. It's that belief that makes me probably more alarmed than I need to be, when in some cases it's not of a paranormal nature, but sleep paralysis as silver mentioned or astral travel as you've mentioned.

I do sleep much deeper and feel more rested using a sleep aid and that's why I don't see harm in remaining on them. Before then, I recall lots of night time experiences, but I was like the walking dead during my waking hours the next day. After so many days in a row of existing like this, it's hard to function with very little sleep. It's for that reason that I'm grateful to have a sleep aid that works well for the most part.

Again, thank you for bringing astral travel into the equation here, Tobi.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
blackraven I take sleep aids each night as well, but I have to take different ones each night or I get used to them and that will render them ineffective. So I have about 10 different brands that I change out each night. So I do understand.

linen53 - Yes, I too have tried everything there is throughout the years. Most didn't work and some even put me into a panicked state where my heart races in my chest and I labor to breathe. Finally found one that works and have stayed with it for a few years now. They do tend to become ineffective after long term use as the body builds up tolerance for them and so they become ineffective. Nothing is perfect, but I rely heavily on them because, well we all need a certain amount of sleep each night to function. Some people need more sleep than others.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:09 PM
Master

I get many of my sleep aids from the Asian countries. They use different (combination) herbs than we do here. But I have two that I get here in the United States also that will knock me out.
Old 16-12-2016, 04:48 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
I have been an insomniac for years and years and for the last 20 years I've taken a sleep aid to sleep (the type is irrelevant). Last night was the first time I can recall ever that I forgot to take my sleep aid. I fell asleep on my own, but was in a horrifying wrestle with something that kept grabbing me. I tried to scream, but nothing came out of my mouth. Every time I tried to attempt to get out of the bed, something just kept grabbing me and holding me. This went on for a long time. Finally I broke out of this situation (lucid dreaming) and got the bed stand light on. My heart was pounding, I was shaking, my breathing was fast and I just sat up in bed for a good 20 minutes dazed and confused. I noticed the covers were thrown up away from the sides of the bed. At the time I felt like it wasn't a nightmare, but real.

When I reached for a glass of water on the bed stand, that's when I discovered the sleep aid sitting there untouched. I thought to myself, no wonder. I usually don't have these kind of violent nightmares, but when I slept without the sleep aid I quickly went into a terrifying experience.

Now I'm wondering if I have such experiences with the sleep aid, but I just don't become conscious of them since I'm in such an induced artificial sleep. Any thoughts on this?

It could be just a coincidence.

it could be from the medication, a bad side-effect