Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Crystals & Gemstones

Old 11-01-2011, 09:12 PM
star-child

Fake Black Obsidian?

Hello

I bought a few crystals from the internet and received them today but I feel like the black obsidian I bought is fake. It looks too perfect and man-made. The energy from it is mean to be strong too but I'm not really feeling it.

Is it possible to simply not resonate with a crystal and not feel anything from it? And is there a way to tell if it is fake?

Thanks,

Star-Child.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Sira

Obsidian is volcanic glass so it is possible that it has a very clear and clean structure. I don't think obsidian is faked simply because the source material is inexpensive. I don't resonate to obsidians other than apache tear, and they have to be rough pieces.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:03 PM
star-child

Quote:
Obsidian is volcanic glass so it is possible that it has a very clear and clean structure.
Thats very much what it is like. I'm used to crystals that are a bit rough and which look natural.

I will spend a bit more time with it and see how I feel. Thanks for the reply
Old 11-01-2011, 10:04 PM
mikron

post a picture please
Old 11-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Master
Yeah like Mikron said can you post a pic?
Spiritlite.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:07 PM
star-child

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron
post a picture please
I will post one tomorrow, I'm just about to go off to sleep
Old 11-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Master
I find black obsidian for me has a light, gentle and slightly grounding vibration , like entering a void of fuzziness .
I must admit looking at my black tumble stones it's hard to distinguish whats black obsidian, black tourmaline, black onyx and jet .
Only by feeling their vibration can I tell lol .

Every situation is an opportunity for healing, learning, growth and transformation.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:59 PM
star-child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz
I find black obsidian for me has a light, gentle and slightly grounding vibration , like entering a void of fuzziness .
I must admit looking at my black tumble stones it's hard to distinguish whats black obsidian, black tourmaline, black onyx and jet .
Only by feeling their vibration can I tell lol .
That is sort of what it felt like when I first held it. The description made it sound like it was going to be a really strong energetic crystal so perhaps that is what I expected.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:13 PM
star-child

Here are some photos for those who asked

Old 18-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Experiencer
Late response. However this doesn't appear to obsidian.. but more like hematite. (check to see if the stone has any magnetic energy)
And yes Obsidian can be "man made" and have a verity of colors associated with it.. But the most common man made obsidian is green or a greenish blue..
Odd thing here is, Most if not all crystals and gems care being chemically altered or are under some sort of mass production.. It is getting harder to tell what is real and what isn't.
(buyer Beware) I would never buy obsidian tumbled. As a rock tumbler myself.. I have sound Obsidian is to brittle or soft (hardness on the low end of 5) to get an even tumble or even a good polish. Best leave these alone and look for all natural.
Just remember, Obsidian is or should appear like black glass or the more uncommon Mahogany Obsidian. Black with brown streaking.

P.S. Word of advice.. place the stone on a white or clear surface. Using "White" or filter natural light, stand approx four feet away from the subject matter.. Take the image, (making sure that you hear the "beep" sound which indicates that the subject is in focus) trying not to move while taking the shot (resting your arm or the camera on a table etc) transfer the image to your computer, using your software or sites like photobucket or picnik one can alter, crop and sharpen the images..