Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 27-09-2011, 07:37 AM
mattie

Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Would that be your Funk and Wagnall's? ...

New Oxford American Dictionary

LOL about your concern about my mental energy expenditure. At the risk of expending mental energy, I'm wondering how you expect that I would determine that I've learned more than you know??? Perhaps you should PM me everything you know about these subjects so I will have a point of reference!!!

It's fairly obvious that the 3 definitions I noted were not any attempt to explain anything, just posting a standardized meaning. I assumed this was fairly evident, but apparantly not.
Old 27-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Serenity Bear

This the wikiepdia on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritualism
Old 27-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Shining Star

Angel1

I was born into Spiritualism, as was my mother and her mother before her. I have long since left the clutches of the Spiritualist National Union, however the SNU may be of some help here in their definition of Spiritualism...

SNU Spiritualism
Spiritualism is a religion that gives an understanding of God and encourages us to act with a high sense of duty towards others. Spiritualism stimulates spiritual growth and prepares us for eternal existence in the spirit-world.

Spiritualism is a science because it is based upon proven facts that can be demonstrated and scientifically classified. Spiritualism is the science of life as it encourages the search for truth in every department of existence, in nature and in human psychology.

Spiritualism is a philosophy that attempts to understand people, their physical, intellectual, moral, and spiritual being. As Spirit is the moving force of the Universe, so Spiritualist philosophy embraces the whole realm of nature.

(These words are based upon a chapter entitled 'The Nature of Spiritualism.'
from the Spiritualists' Lyceum Manual)

Love & Blessings to you all, my family
Old 27-09-2011, 01:44 PM
mac

"I have long since left the clutches of the Spiritualist National Union, however the SNU may be of some help here in their definition of Spiritualism."

amen to that
Old 27-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Shining Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
"I have long since left the clutches of the Spiritualist National Union, however the SNU may be of some help here in their definition of Spiritualism."

amen to that

Old 01-10-2011, 05:26 PM
emalie

And another here

Hi,

I"ve just joined. Browsing the forums, I saw this one for Spiritualists. I've been a Spirtualist for about 30 years but I'd have to say that I think that my spiritual feeling and thinking extends now beyond any church-borne dogma. I'm more interested in spirituality than psychic work, for example.

I think that too many see Spiritualism as a venue only for psychic work and not for spiritual sharing.

Nice to meet you,

emalie
Old 01-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Shining Star

Angel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by emalie
Hi,

I"ve just joined. Browsing the forums, I saw this one for Spiritualists. I've been a Spirtualist for about 30 years but I'd have to say that I think that my spiritual feeling and thinking extends now beyond any church-borne dogma. I'm more interested in spirituality than psychic work, for example.

I think that too many see Spiritualism as a venue only for psychic work and not for spiritual sharing.

Nice to meet you,

emalie

First of all.... Welcome Emalie I totally agree with what you are saying.... I first read on the platform when I was 10 years old... I have attended many churches but do feel that Spiritualism should lose the 'ism' and get back to being 'spiritual'
Old 10-10-2011, 01:24 AM
emalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Star
First of all.... Welcome Emalie I totally agree with what you are saying.... I first read on the platform when I was 10 years old... I have attended many churches but do feel that Spiritualism should lose the 'ism' and get back to being 'spiritual'
Thank you for the welcome

" I have attended many churches but do feel that Spiritualism should lose the 'ism' and get back to being 'spiritual'"

I couldn't agree more, but I can't see it happening though. I think the push for spirituality resides outside of churches.

emalie
Old 10-10-2011, 02:24 AM
Patangel

I was always aware of Spiritualism since I can remember-not as an organised religion but basically all aspects of it.

Mainly because my mother and her sister were believers in the afterlife and spirit guides and so on and spoke quite openly about it as though it was normal.

Discovering a formalised religion was a basic progression for me as I like the discipline which is only about developing abilities without all the rules etc.

I've found many others were brought up as Catholics..anyone eles find that?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:55 AM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by emalie
Hi,

Nice to meet you,

emalie

As a formerly regular contributor I've often pointed out that (Modern) Spiritualism isn't simply the churches - I consider I'm a staunch Spiritualist but rarely attend church. It soon became redundant to my personal needs although I support and recommend them to new seekers of information.

The psychic vs. spiritual aspects I've written about repeatedly and routinely both here and elsewhere. Sadly there's still as much confusion expressed online now as there used to be....as I judge the situation.

Maybe those who aren't confused simply don't write about it?