Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Films

Old 15-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Master
Ok...found it > Time After Time is the name of the movie I thought was called the time machine. McDowall & Steenburgen

Old 15-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humm
AI is AWESOME - another masterpiece that will get it's due, in time, IMO.

I'll second that. I was bowled over when I saw it.

Also, I thought Solaris was incredible. I saw the remake and loved it. So much so, that I hunted out the original...and was bored stiff. Ha!

K-Pax - stunning. The bluebird of happiness.

Vanilla Sky I wouldn't put in the Sci-Fi bracket...but it's in my top 3 films of all time. Again, I bought the original on the strength of the remake...and preferred the remake.
Old 15-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Master
Caramba ! I cannot believe that no-one has mentioned Bladerunner.
Old 15-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Master
Bladerunner ~ yeah norsie. Excellent ~ there are so many more we've yet to think of, I'm sure..

Old 15-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Master
oops ! Bladerunner was in the first post
Old 15-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Humm

Bladerunner is a very moving film - but it really didn't inspire me in any way at the time. It was just an emotionally intense film.

Now that I think about it though, I can see how it has a lot of correlations with 'Moon' thematically. If I saw the film now, instead of 30 years ago, I probably would have thought of it sooner.
Old 15-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Mountain-Goat

Quote:
Greed is only one aspect of it.

The other, and truly inevitable aspect of it, I speak of as an engineer.

DNA is incredibly complex. Genes never control a single aspect of an organism. DNA describes an entire system, and every part of the system interacts with every other part.

Surely there will be a lot of progress made - but mistakes are going to be made as well, with consequences that may not make themselves fully known for generations. Generations.

Science has been studying for a long time the influence of genetics on behavior and disposition, but we only know for certain it is a factor - we don't know specifics.

Ever do programming? Modern genetics will give the term 'debugging' a whole new dimension. These 'excursions' into designer people will be people, the results of which become part of the human genome - for better or worse.

Ah well, with increased power comes increased responsibility.
In that context, yes, more agreement from me.
I've dabbled in programming and have been reading up on DNA and cell biology so i'm up with the sheer complexity.

This conjurs up thoughts about GM products and how even though much more testing needs to be domne to ensure it's safety,
other people start using it and before anyone knows it, GM crops have been infecting non Gm crops and no one knows the long term affects.

So yeah, even though humans may gain near total understanding(or they think they do) of a particualr thing, there is no way to know what affects it will have years later, because of the complexity of it.
Old 15-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Mountain-Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate Carpark
And if alternate\future realities are on the list then I will include
Children of Men - a virus makes all humans infertile.
lollers. This is already in my OP list.
How tired is my brain?
I edit maps for a delightfully cute game called Knytt Stories as part of my time off from work, enjoy myself thingy.
I only last 10 minutes sometimes as the mental fatigue kicks in.
Old 15-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate Carpark
In that context, yes, more agreement from me.
I've dabbled in programming and have been reading up on DNA and cell biology so i'm up with the sheer complexity.

This conjurs up thoughts about GM products and how even though much more testing needs to be domne to ensure it's safety,
other people start using it and before anyone knows it, GM crops have been infecting non Gm crops and no one knows the long term affects.

So yeah, even though humans may gain near total understanding(or they think they do) of a particualr thing, there is no way to know what affects it will have years later, because of the complexity of it.

Then AP if you haven't seen Gattica...it's a must! Brill.

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 15-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Enemy Mine I really liked, given it's theme of different people learning to get along!

Also a favourite of mine...in part because it is so hard to watch.

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke