Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 17-06-2016, 07:33 PM
Ascender

How does the non physical (mind)interact with the physical (brain)??

Im on a roll today

Its a good question, if consciousness is primary and exists independent of the brain and uses the brain..then how does something with no physical properties interact with the brain? How does NOTHING act upon SOMETHNG?

I think this is a major issue that neuroscientists have with the concept of the mind influencing the brain, as opposed to the conventional thought that the mind is what the brain does.
Old 17-06-2016, 09:50 PM
Guide
Stimulates neurons into firing
Old 19-06-2016, 12:00 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal68
..then how does something with no physical properties interact with the brain? How does NOTHING act upon SOMETHNG?

Through levers and pulleys
and sweet whimsical whispers
through the dripping of time and
the roar of weightless wonder
through the dreams of a thought
that dissipates upon awakening
through the night time and
the day that then follows,

it just does...
Old 19-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Im on a roll today

Its a good question, if consciousness is primary and exists independent of the brain and uses the brain..then how does something with no physical properties interact with the brain? How does NOTHING act upon SOMETHNG?

I think this is a major issue that neuroscientists have with the concept of the mind influencing the brain, as opposed to the conventional thought that the mind is what the brain does.

nice! Now you're thinking beyond the box

this is how I think of it at the moment: our brain is a consequence of being physical, it aids with all aspects of the material world. The mind consciousness attains many levels depending on our frequency level. There is a point in our spiritual evolution where it is advantageous for the higher mind to be the captain of the ship, and the material brain recognizes when this is so by stepping aside.

but then you bring the neuroscientists into it, and I couldn't care less...
Old 19-06-2016, 09:28 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer
this is how I think of it at the moment: our brain is a consequence of being physical, it aids with all aspects of the material world. The mind consciousness attains many levels depending on our frequency level. There is a point in our spiritual evolution where it is advantageous for the higher mind to be the captain of the ship, and the material brain recognizes when this is so by stepping aside.

I actually think it's more interesting than this. It's all just a matter of degree. Consciousness may well be ubiquitous. Much the way water is to a fish, air is to us, consciousness is a staple-of-being. This being the case, we are unable to step outside of consciousness in order to understand any of creation without it.

So if consciousness is all things then the brain would be composed of the same substance-of-consciousness that our higher selves would experience as well. So consciousness, as we tend to know it, could be expressed as a matter of degrees, and not in that one thing is more conscious than another.

So our brains and our higher selves may well be completely entwined with each other.

Only the focus of being human would tilt our experience of such consciousness in the direction of "what we think of" as the physical. (We've already established in another thread that there's no such thing as actual "matter". :) It's also such that when we normally use the term "consciousness and brain" we are mostly referencing that very small part of ourselves that simply pails in comparison to the massive amount of stuff that's actually going on in our brain. Our "thinking" self is along for the ride. There is no way that our thinking selves could successfully manage this massive network called our "body".

So oftentimes when we feel that our "higher" selves have stepped in, for some reason, it's probably, and, more likely that what we call our "unconscious" self has nudged our 'thinking' self aside in order to address an issue that our 'thinking' self is unable to interpret.

I frankly don't feel that our higher-selves can relate with the same degree of clarity that our unconscious and thinking selves are involved with as the norm. Our brains are "present" at this vibrational level which is why our higher selves felt the need to "congeal" an appropriate version of itself for just such a focus of clarity that is functional for this level. Our souls would be more like a 440 volt jolt to a system, such as ours, that runs off a comparable double AA sized battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer
but then you bring the neuroscientists into it, and I couldn't care less...

What's coming out if the neurosciences today is simply jaw dropping. I've spent the better part of my life studying our "reality" based on the teachings of one spiritualist discipline or another. My goodness that was frustrating. What an absolute mess. It wasn't until I started to look into the last decade or so of what the neurosciences are uncovering that I finally felt that answers were forthcoming. The shell is being cracked and we're now looking at the yoke (the mechanics and the rhythm) of how our perceptions are formed. As we come to know "that", we can better isolate the difference between what's primarily physical, and by contrast, what isn't. I view the "quality" based neurosciences (as apposed to the commercial) as a spiritual move, by souls who are driven to open the doors toward such perception. If we're to awaken we're needing to do so at all levels. The sciences are to help clarify the physical.
Old 20-06-2016, 05:34 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic born

I frankly don't feel that our higher-selves can relate with the same degree of clarity that our unconscious and thinking selves are involved with as the norm.

Frankly a great clarity here. As you see I agree and think there a tab more yet to digest or at least consider. For a very long time I sought clarity but I also found I bumped up against barriers. Barriers that I had, not within the subconscious but within the conscious. Clarity has never been the problem, it is relative. In examining the mind/brain relationship, clarity might also be the (reason of) barrier set by the clarity, it certainly is very defensive. As soon a clarity is set there is loss of it. Only the defensive mind who has experience can say this. All obstacles are of the conscious nature. Our subconscious does not reason, that's not it's job. The subconscious has stores of information it holds. Frankly, the higher-self could be right in the subconscious and we wouldn't know it. The subconscious is limitless, the conscious sets the limits. I understand the purpose of the subconscious and the conscious, but do not understand the purpose of the unconscious. I would ask, what is it's purpose. I usually find when I can access information from the place I call the subconscious and bring it out into the light I understand it where I didn't before.
Old 20-06-2016, 06:58 PM
Suspended
Google Roger Penrose and Stuart Hameroff, authors of the Orchestrated Objective Reduction (Orch-OR) theory of consciousness.
Old 20-06-2016, 08:21 PM
Master

Quote:
Im on a roll today

Don't forget the entire body is conscious and if this is true there is a connective force of billions of like individual consciousnesses that is not the brain. Every cell in each person (atom) is alive and conscious, and we each are a collective of billions of tiny consciousnesses structures ultimately merging into one, there really is no primary. What if this is what they came up with.

These days I also wonder if consciousness is a nonlocal event but then this raises the question you ask which I can't see. Wonderful question.

Also forget to mention, early in development the size of the brain is said to be larger, I forget the percentage. The brain becomes smaller and is thought to be assimilated into the body which makes sense, so you do have the innate properties becoming like a blue print, a transportation of consciousness, giving consciousness to the body I imagine.
Old 21-06-2016, 05:10 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemex
Don't forget the entire body is conscious and if this is true there is a connective force of billions of like individual consciousnesses that is not the brain. Every cell in each person (atom) is alive and conscious, and we each are a collective of billions of tiny consciousnesses structures ultimately merging into one, there really is no primary. What if this is what they came up with.
Bingo! We are not a "unit" we are innately a cooperative. We are intimately affected-by and responsive-to all that goes on within this community called our body. Just one neuron alone has the complexity of New York City, and we are continually accessing among several hundred billion of them at all times (our brains actually become more active when we're meditating or asleep). There are 10 times more individuals in the form of bacteria, yeast and 'others' than there are of our own bodily cells (our bodily cells are much bigger than our fellow inhabitants, all together these others come to roughly a half gallon, and yet they deeply affect almost all of our bodily functions ). We have been building our versions of 'reality' based specifically on surface impressions. When we delve into the complexity of it all it simply explodes with unending surprises.

We are living just one version of one story among the uncountable tales that surround us at any given moment (both outside and within our bodily frame). If we find ourselves being bored with our lives, then that's every indication to suggest, that we're simply wallowing along in our own conditioned dialog. There's a much more intriguing avenue of exposure, appreciation and understanding that is patiently awaiting our attention! :)