Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 14-06-2016, 01:18 AM
Deactivated Account

The Science behind Kundalini Awakening

So, what are your thoughts of kundalini and the relation to neurological disorders?

Kundalini is described as "serpent fire" radiating up or down your spine. And similarly, Lhermitte's sign is described as an electrical charge going down the spine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhermitte%27s_sign And of course it also comes with a bunch of other physical symptoms, that could be similar to neurological symptoms...

In my experience, kundalini feels like a sharp, almost orgasmic lightning bolt that hammers down my spine, but it could be described as Lhermitte's sign.

What about common spiritual sensations, such as tingling, feeling hot and cold sensations, pins and needles, prickles, vibrations, the feeling as if your skull is expanding, etc

All of those are exactly the same description of nerve sensations, that people typically feel when they have nerve problems.

And isn't it ironic that the chakras are in the exact same position as the endocrine glands? Do you know what the endocrine glands are? It's your thyroid, pineal gland, pituitary gland, etc, and the endocrine system is very similar to the nervous system, in that it controls action.

In fact the hypothalamus in the brain, is responsible for connecting the nervous system to the endocrine system, through the pituitary gland.

Basically, nerves carry information throughout the body, telling the body what to do. A major nerve pathway goes through the third eye, through the crown chakra, through the thyroid, down the spine through the other chakras...

And kundalini energy in spirituality is often referred to as "creation energy".
In basic scientific terms that means, the brain sends energy down in order for the body to do things.

That's why the highest chakras are said to be responsible for planning, goals, inspiration, big ideas... and the lower chakras are the process of creating those ideas, and the idea of creation isn't just a spiritual notion, it's entirely physical. Because in order to move, you first have to think about it.

And what's more interesting... is that I've read quite a few accounts of people who have been diagnosed with MS managing to "cure it" or at least go into remission by simply doing yoga and reiki. And I know a lot of people disagree that it's even possible to cure MS, but all of this information makes me wonder if those people saying they had MS who cured it are actually telling the truth. It makes sense because the spine and the brain is the power centre for energy. Yoga deals directly with stretching out and strengthening and healing the spine and moving in energy, and reiki is energy work, thus it also focuses on the spine and kundalini energy.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this subject?
Old 14-06-2016, 05:25 AM
Master
Yeah, so ask a woman who has both Asperger's Disorder and going through Menopause the same time these kinda things. LOL

I was born with Asperger's Disorder.

From birth, I couldn't interact with 'real people' but then I found out - hey, there are also 'non-real people' that live alongside us too...so I started talking and communicating with them instead...they all seemed to know me and understand me better anyway...

I buried my head in books on religion, philosophy, theosophy, spirituality, linguistics and quantum physics, I did...just to block it all out.

Seeking answers to it all last night...in the height of mindful awareness, turns out I was already born 'enlightened' and my kundalini was basically raised since birth. I was born in the womb of the universe and suckled on Shakti's bosom.

This is why I found it so difficult to relate to my social environment and other people...always trying to find other people on the 'same wavelength' that I was...you think I could? ever?

So, fast forward to now...I'm going through change of life...I feel the liquid fire and energy rise up my spine, bursting into my brain like a thousand supernovas...I'm able to see past, present and future all coagulate and dimensions fold inwards into electrostatic entropy...yeah...menopause. lol

Still, it's a good read and it's easy to attribute something to being the most logical outcome using the ol' Occam's Razor bit there...but sometimes the razor is so blunt, it won't shave the fuzz of a peach...

Yes, so I am an Aspie.......
Old 14-06-2016, 10:56 PM
Deactivated Account
Human biology/anatomy is not my strongsuit - but it's clear that the kundalini energy has a significant impact/effect on the nervous system of the individual...

"The flow of energy is said to transform the nervous system and the brain to enable them to operate at an entirely new and higher level of functioning. Metaphorically speaking, kundalini appears to throw the nervous system into overdrive, activating its latent potentials and permitting the individual to experience the world and perform in it in extraordinary fashion." ~ Heading Towards Omega (Kenneth Ring)

In Western countries/cultures there appears to be a rather limited number of professionals (Doctors/Psychologists) who are researching and publishing works on matters relating to the kundalini awakening. I have read some of their published works (Lee Sannella M.D., Yvonne Kayson M.D., Emma Bragdon PhD, Stanislav Grof M.D.). In many ways it is still a relatively 'new' concept as far as mainstream awareness among the larger Western populace is concerned... I suspect in the coming years/decades the subject matter will become more accepted and less 'taboo' among scientists/doctors/psychologists... The field of Transpersonal Psychology opts to use newer terminology such as 'spiritual emergence/emergency' and 'psychospiritual energy' to discuss experiences and internal developments associated with kundalini energy/awakening - but does not shy away from acknowledging the Sanskrit terminology as it is known and utilized in other parts of the world.
Old 14-06-2016, 11:41 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Necromancer
Yeah, so ask a woman who has both Asperger's Disorder and going through Menopause the same time these kinda things. LOL

From birth, I couldn't interact with 'real people' but then I found out - hey, there are also 'non-real people' that live alongside us too...so I started talking and communicating with them instead...they all seemed to know me and understand me better anyway...

I buried my head in books on religion, philosophy, theosophy, spirituality, linguistics and quantum physics, I did...just to block it all out.

Seeking answers to it all last night...in the height of mindful awareness, turns out I was already born 'enlightened' and my kundalini was basically raised since birth. I was born in the womb of the universe and suckled on Shakti's bosom.

This is why I found it so difficult to relate to my social environment and other people...always trying to find other people on the 'same wavelength' that I was...you think I could? ever?

So, fast forward to now...I'm going through change of life...I feel the liquid fire and energy rise up my spine, bursting into my brain like a thousand supernovas...I'm able to see past, present and future all coagulate and dimensions fold inwards into electrostatic entropy...yeah...menopause. lol

Still, it's a good read and it's easy to attribute something to being the most logical outcome using the ol' Occam's Razor bit there...but sometimes the razor is so blunt, it won't shave the fuzz of a peach...

This is why it's interesting to me how often science and psychology are related to spirituality, like for example, are people really schizophrenic or are they truly hearing voices? And where do we draw the line and recognize the boundaries between science and spirituality?

I've often believed in the past that if people become imbalanced spiritually, or get involved with negative energies it can lead to mental imbalances and vice versa.

I often felt the same as you in regards to not relating to humans, even though I was never labeled with those things lol. They certainly handed me other labels though, but that doesn't bother me because the way I see it... is that science and psychology are all related to spirituality, science is just the process of trying to understand spirituality and the unknown, so that's why they slap a bunch of labels on everything, but I think we would be able to get much further in our studies if they were to embrace spirituality more.
Old 15-06-2016, 01:08 AM
Master
Exactly.

After spending all day yesterday discussing kundalini and related symbology in terms of science in the Buddhist section, I'm a bit energy-drained. lol

All I can say is that people will say kundalini experiences are this or that...relate them to some scientific and biological whatevers...but only you know if you've had one and what it feels like, so no labels and no explanations are gonna go there.
Old 23-06-2016, 11:44 AM
Newbie ;)

Nicely said!
Old 29-06-2016, 03:17 AM
Master
After experiencing many weird biological symptoms of this, I had to do an online search to try and find out what I was going through...it led me to these:

http://phoenixtools.org/stages-kundalini-awakening/
http://www.selfgrowth.com/print/906656

Going through all the recommendations in these now, but I know I'm going to have to go and re-connect with somebody from my past to help me sort this....I don't wanna go there. lol
Old 03-07-2016, 11:20 PM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Necromancer

I'm an aspie too and I've thought about this countless times.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:37 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze
Human biology/anatomy is not my strongsuit - but it's clear that the kundalini energy has a significant impact/effect on the nervous system of the individual...

"The flow of energy is said to transform the nervous system and the brain to enable them to operate at an entirely new and higher level of functioning. Metaphorically speaking, kundalini appears to throw the nervous system into overdrive, activating its latent potentials and permitting the individual to experience the world and perform in it in extraordinary fashion." ~ Heading Towards Omega (Kenneth Ring)

In Western countries/cultures there appears to be a rather limited number of professionals (Doctors/Psychologists) who are researching and publishing works on matters relating to the kundalini awakening. I have read some of their published works (Lee Sannella M.D., Yvonne Kayson M.D., Emma Bragdon PhD, Stanislav Grof M.D.). In many ways it is still a relatively 'new' concept as far as mainstream awareness among the larger Western populace is concerned... I suspect in the coming years/decades the subject matter will become more accepted and less 'taboo' among scientists/doctors/psychologists... The field of Transpersonal Psychology opts to use newer terminology such as 'spiritual emergence/emergency' and 'psychospiritual energy' to discuss experiences and internal developments associated with kundalini energy/awakening - but does not shy away from acknowledging the Sanskrit terminology as it is known and utilized in other parts of the world.

I definitely agree, Transpersonal Psychology does come closer to a more accurate interpretation of Kundalini energy than a lot of other schools of psychological thought. I have often wondered about how we all may be saying the same thing only using different terms; for instance professionals may talk about libido energy and not kundalini energy, when lots of yogis believe that they are the same thing. Notwithstanding, Kundalini has to do with the base chakra and sexual energy the 2nd chakra. Still I am inclined to accept a correlation between the two other than just their form or possible variant in vibratory differences. The word "Shakti" has also been used in place of the word kundalini. So I think people are talking about the same thing only using different words.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:49 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
I definitely agree, Transpersonal Psychology does come closer to a more accurate interpretation of Kundalini energy than a lot of other schools of psychological thought. I have often wondered about how we all may be saying the same thing only using different terms; for instance professionals may talk about libido energy and not kundalini energy, when lots of yogis believe that they are the same thing. Notwithstanding, Kundalini has to do with the base chakra and sexual energy the 2nd chakra. Still I am inclined to accept a correlation between the two other than just their form or possible variant in vibratory differences. The word "Shakti" has also been used in place of the word kundalini. So I think people are talking about the same thing only using different words.
The two words are interchangeable at a basic level. I also think the term 'kundalini' gets bantered about too often and used as an 'umbrella term' to cover any/all bioelectrical and neurological correlations, so alternative metaphors are sorely lacking in this regard. I also use the term 'Shakti' as an alternative.

To say Kundalini is the result of the first 2 chakras, is a little bit inaccurate here. To wake her up, you need the first 4 to be open - Support, Libido, Ego and Love. When these four are in balance, she'll stir. The next three are Self-Honesty, Insight and Clarity.