Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Past Lives & Reincarnation

Old 04-01-2017, 04:03 PM
Master
Can you plan like 3 to 4 incarnations ahead ?

Is it possible to establish your incarnations "ahead of time" ?
For instance, planning out 3 to 4 lifetimes ahead ?
Old 04-01-2017, 10:23 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorStrange
Is it possible to establish your incarnations "ahead of time" ?
For instance, planning out 3 to 4 lifetimes ahead ?

From what I understand about karma, reincarnation and past lives I don't think it would be possible to plan 3-4 lifetimes ahead.

I don't think it would even be possible to plan for your next lifetime with 100% certainty because you, your life, and the world around you is constantly shifting. It would be like trying to throw a dart into your next lifetime... but because things are constantly shifting where there once was a dartboard to throw darts at, now there is only a sea of grape jelly.

What you can plan for is to overcome negative karma and traits within yourself so that your next incarnation is less rocky. You could practice extreme generosity in this lifetime and have the karma returned to you in the next... or you could go the other way and be mean to people and experience mean people in your next life.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:41 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriesIntrovert
From what I understand about karma, reincarnation and past lives I don't think it would be possible to plan 3-4 lifetimes ahead.

I don't think it would even be possible to plan for your next lifetime with 100% certainty because you, your life, and the world around you is constantly shifting. It would be like trying to throw a dart into your next lifetime... but because things are constantly shifting where there once was a dartboard to throw darts at, now there is only a sea of grape jelly.

What you can plan for is to overcome negative karma and traits within yourself so that your next incarnation is less rocky. You could practice extreme generosity in this lifetime and have the karma returned to you in the next... or you could go the other way and be mean to people and experience mean people in your next life.

Great response, Aries.

And to the Dr., I would also add...especially, you could practice extreme generosity the area of emotional and spiritual generosity...meaning both giving and receiving lovingkindness and forgiveness -- always with the goal of true reciprocity and reconciliation but not being bound by reciprocity if the situation doesn't allow for a true reconciliation. Forgive anyway. Love anyway. Give kindness anyway...and equally important, receive kindness, love, and forgiveness as well wherever offered. That is, engage...and generously allow others to be emotionally and spiritually generous to you, as well.

Above all else, manifesting love and kindness and forgiveness will transmute all that has gone before, all that is, and all that will be into a person, a place, a time, and a state where you and what is manifest by, with, through, and around you into that which is truer and more right-aligned (with centre, with spirit, with others, and with All, or One).

Peace & blessings all
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 08-01-2017, 03:18 AM
Suspended

Quote:

AriesIntrovert, doesn't practicing extreme generosity for the sake of having a good next life defeat the entire purpose of the generosity, which should be done without any expectation of reward later on?
Old 08-01-2017, 05:12 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy123
AriesIntrovert, doesn't practicing extreme generosity for the sake of having a good next life defeat the entire purpose of the generosity, which should be done without any expectation of reward later on?

I think this is a noble goal, we should all live as Jesus did, with 100% complete love guiding every action towards every person we interact with for no purpose other than being love is its own reward. However, until we reach enlightenment in our lifetimes this is... a daunting goal if not an impossible one.

I don't know if we have to be selfless in giving in order to reap any rewards later, my logically brain tells me we don't based on the fact that the only true way to really have that occur is to not know about karma and past lives (so you would never think about that there could be a reward for them), but reincarnation is not a new concept, definitely not in some ancient or current cultures...

Then again, could it be the Law of Attraction principles there, that the soul expects a reward and expects it so completely, without any waivering of belief, that it occurs?

There are a lot of possibilities here. I am not sure how it all works, but I do know my own past life story and the hardship and grief I inflicted on others have been inflicted on me and the handouts I gave to others have been given to me... whether that past life knew about reincarnation and planned those occurrences, I don't know, but it wasn't sainthood that caused past life me to give handouts to others that is for sure. ;) ;)
Old 08-01-2017, 04:28 PM
Suspended

Quote:
I think this is a noble goal, we should all live as Jesus did, with 100% complete love guiding every action towards every person we interact with for no purpose other than being love is its own reward. However, until we reach enlightenment in our lifetimes this is... a daunting goal if not an impossible one.

I don't know if we have to be selfless in giving in order to reap any rewards later, my logically brain tells me we don't based on the fact that the only true way to really have that occur is to not know about karma and past lives (so you would never think about that there could be a reward for them), but reincarnation is not a new concept, definitely not in some ancient or current cultures...

Then again, could it be the Law of Attraction principles there, that the soul expects a reward and expects it so completely, without any waivering of belief, that it occurs?

There are a lot of possibilities here. I am not sure how it all works, but I do know my own past life story and the hardship and grief I inflicted on others have been inflicted on me and the handouts I gave to others have been given to me... whether that past life knew about reincarnation and planned those occurrences, I don't know, but it wasn't sainthood that caused past life me to give handouts to others that is for sure. ;) ;)

AriesIntrovert,

I actually agree with what you say here. See my prior post on "What constitutes good karma" (which I've pasted below). My point, is that it is once you know about karma or believe in it, it becomes impossible to do anything good with 100% expectation of zero reward. even subconsciously, you do something kind but deep down inside you always the inkling of "perhaps that will come back to me in some way in the future..."

If you ask me, I don't even think internal states should matter much when we do good things. I think the necessary test should be whether or not our actions benefit someone else or not. Say if someone gave you $10000. Do you honestly care if he gave u the money b/c he was 100% altruistic or whether he wanted to accrue some good karma for himself? Either way, you get the $10000, are better off for it, and a benefit has accrued to you. Hence, the giver should accrue the positive benefit. I think positive karma should be viewed from the POV of the recipient - if that person got a benefit, then you should too.

If I give a beggar $10 and he can buy a warm sandwich, why should it matter whether I did it out of pure altruism or a bit for my own positive karma? The poor man got a warm meal and that made his day better. So I expect sometime in the future a positive event comes to make my day better. I don't care if that positive event comes from someone else who has more selfish motives for karma, etc.... All I expect is that his actions make my life better in the same way I made the beggar's life better.

If you truly look around you, I think you might find that people's actions in general are more selfish than you thought. Most people talk a nice talk but will push comes to shove they rarely do anything out of their way to benefit someone else.

Otherwise, one could argue the reverse and say if you hurt someone but deep down inside has good intentions - is that good or bad karma? If Hitler kills 6 million Jews but deep down inside all he wants is to protect the German race, does that somehow make Hitler accrue good karma? Never mind the 6 million Jews who lost their lives. I don't think it works like that. I think good or bad karma has to be viewed from the POV of the benefactor or victim, rather than sole intentions of the giver.

My post earlier:

Assuming there is karma/reincarnation, is there really such a thing as "selfless" act of kindness? Look around you. Everyone is going about their busy lives. Does anyone really do anything of meaningful kindness to others, w/o any type of expectation of reward in some way? I don't see many people around me doing good things for others, or going out of their way to do good things for others. In fact, I see people around me trying to screw others over, in career, in workplace, in dating scene, in gossiping, in life in general. Even parents become selfish and forget their children. Most of my friends are friends on the outside but secretly hope for others to be worse off than themselves. I find it rare to find anyone who does anything to truly help others w/o expectation of reward.

Occasionally, there are some few that do some nice things for others, but mostly in expectation of "you scratch my back, I scratch yours". In fact, human beings are not programmed to be selfless - if God wanted us to be kind and selfless, why didn't he just program us this way? This is a bit baffling to me. Even if you give beggar 5 bucks on the street, I bet 99% of people are in some way subconsciously getting some benefit from this, either they feel that they are "bargaining with the universe" for good luck later on themselves. So you're saying these small acts are not really altruistic and don't accrue good karma?

But then, what really is a selfless act? Does a mother caring for her children constitute selfless or selfish? One could argue that even such an act is a selfish, b/c the mother gets pleasure from seeing her children alive, and the mother subconsciously expects her children to take care of her when she gets old and they grow up. Even monks who study Buddhism or meditate all day are NOT accruing any good karma b/c they are doing so with the selfish goal of trying to be liberated from karma cycle after they die. Perhaps that's the most selfish goal of all...

My final point, is that if you look around you, and the world in general, since the advent of humans, in general, there have been far more people who do bad things to others than those who do good things. That is probably even more so today. However, I feel that the number of people who have "good, meaningful" lives is far in excess of the number of people who do good things to others to build good karma. So what explains the fact that in the future, there will probably still be a stable proportion of the population who have "good lives" then? It doesn't make mathematical sense from a karma/reincarnation POV.

So what actually constitutes an act of kindness done w/o expectation, that is necessary to generate good karma?
Old 08-01-2017, 05:31 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy123
AriesIntrovert

If you ask me, I don't even think internal states should matter much when we do good things. I think the necessary test should be whether or not our actions benefit someone else or not. Say if someone gave you $10000. Do you honestly care if he gave u the money b/c he was 100% altruistic or whether he wanted to accrue some good karma for himself? Either way, you get the $10000, are better off for it, and a benefit has accrued to you. Hence, the giver should accrue the positive benefit. I think positive karma should be viewed from the POV of the recipient - if that person got a benefit, then you should too.

You have some great deep thoughts about this, I love it. :)

I agree with most everything you wrote based on several principles. The first is that philanthropy without any reward to the giver is difficult because if the ego is not fed by feelings of "what a good person I am for doing this!" then the heart is fed with feelings of love given and received. The latter reminds me how energetic healing work (like Reiki) works in that healing comes to both the healer and the one being healed.

Another principle is based on the one constant in all spiritual theory that "we are all one" and this isn't a philosophical theory, this is a truth and shows how karma works. What I do to you, I do to myself.

Picture yourself standing on a theater stage. You "give a gift to another" by handing a gift to an unseen someone behind the left curtain and at the same exact time (is if by cartoon magic) a gift appears from hands behind the right curtain stretching out to you. Through the illusion of time these appear to come as separate events but in reality there is no time and there is only one of us appearing as separate so the theater model holds as true.

Shakespeare pointed to this with, "All the world is but a stage and the people only actors." (I doubt I quoted that correctly, but that's the gist.)

What I still don't know about is the soul intention. I am going to drop the Hitler example because that is too difficult to work with... Instead I consider the difference between killing numbers of people for pleasure, sport, or profit versus killing numbers of people in situations of defense against an immediate threat in unprovoked aggression. In my head this seems like a math equation where the first would be weighted more heavily with negative karma and the second would be lighter... but without having case studies to analyze it is impossible to know for sure.

I doubt we will ever meet someone who openly publicly admits to having a past life regression that points to their being Hitler, and every person we could point to as a possibility as being Hitler reincarnated is typically based on repeats of horrible behavior (which I don't think would be correct, I think it would be someone suffering instead), but that would be the true litmus test for how karma works if we could!
Old 08-01-2017, 10:24 PM
Master
Quote:
However, until we reach enlightenment in our lifetimes this is... a daunting goal if not an impossible one.

That brings up a good question. Is it selfless love that brings enlighenment, or do we reach enlightenment and love selflessly?
Old 08-01-2017, 11:53 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivatar
That brings up a good question. Is it selfless love that brings enlighenment, or do we reach enlightenment and love selflessly?

Beautifully stated!!! Can it be both? I want to vote for the third option of both. :) <3
Old 26-01-2017, 05:53 AM
Knower

Quote:

There is no next, ahead, because there is no time beyond the physical life, all the soul wants are experiences, it's true that certain emotions, traits might bleed into another personality but not because of karma debts but because all is connected. can I have another experience that I want, of course!!! because we are powerful creators and whenever we daydream, have strong emotions about something we are creating such experience