Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 24-02-2012, 10:24 PM
AngryDragonTears

Koreans proudly call themselves "fast followers" which simply means they copy stuff from everyone else and use it to their advantage... Not a bad plan if you ask me -_- Oh and they enjoy invoking the power of the holy spairet.
Old 24-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Time

Whoa, Whoa ......

One mayjor thing here kiddies. SHamans, or shamanism, is actually only tied to a few peoples, namely native american cheifs (not all tribes), meso americans, and duids (Celts). THe real "shamans" are central american, or from the carribean, and are now known as the voodoo priests. THe term gets thrown around to anything that is similar to these tribes, and is misappropriation.
Old 24-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll_ov_Grimness
I'm not misunderstanding anything Korea is trans-national they owe a lot of wealth coming into their country these days to their openness . These are a people who worship Genghis Khan and General Douglass MacArthur even . Although the folklore and mythology is one aspect of their culture yes that is not what I am interested in personally I am preoccupied with what they do and seek to achieve. I believe I am doing more for understanding their culture by reading into it in this way.
So, let me get this straight - you are interested in learning about Korean Shamanic religion without learning about myth and folklore? How does that work? You seriously think that you're going to get a good grasp on it by ignoring those areas that heavily influence religious praxis? Don't you think you will gain more knowledge and nuance by understanding why they do what they do? Learning everything about how a Catholic Mass is done isn't going to give you a good idea about it if you don't know why they do it in the first place.

You seem to want to bake a cake without learning how to work an oven. lol
Old 25-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Troll_ov_Grimness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
So, let me get this straight - you are interested in learning about Korean Shamanic religion without learning about myth and folklore? How does that work? You seriously think that you're going to get a good grasp on it by ignoring those areas that heavily influence religious praxis? Don't you think you will gain more knowledge and nuance by understanding why they do what they do? Learning everything about how a Catholic Mass is done isn't going to give you a good idea about it if you don't know why they do it in the first place.

You seem to want to bake a cake without learning how to work an oven. lol

its not a religion it is folklore . it is not an organized religion at all. it follows then that there are differing opinions on its ordinances.
experts on Korean Shamanism will tell you this

also,
the charismatic spiritual mediums do not even follow with the folklore and mythology that the hereditary shamans do
so the mythology and folklore matters very little.
it is an empirical thing.

and to the person before you,
It is known as Korean shamanism .

I've done the research

Have you?

Shamanism comes from a tungus word,
And those people are Siberian
Meaning,
Korea has more right to the name shamanism than any of the places you mentioned
Old 25-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Time

You do realize folklore IS religion right? Or at least folklore stemms from religious beliefs?
Old 25-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Animus27

Quote:
its not a religion it is folklore . it is not an organized religion at all. it follows then that there are differing opinions on its ordinances.
experts on Korean Shamanism will tell you this
And are you aware that a religion still has precepts and structure even when it's 'unorganized'? Many people will still classify shamanic beliefs as being religious.

Quote:
also,
the charismatic spiritual mediums do not even follow with the folklore and mythology that the hereditary shamans do
so the mythology and folklore matters very little.
it is an empirical thing.
Then why are you learning about Korean Shamanism if you are just going to disparage their cultural heritage as being irrelevant? Why not study Spiritualism alone instead? Or just learn some watered down Core Shamanism, since that seems to be what's actually appealing to you.
Old 27-02-2012, 02:12 AM
Troll_ov_Grimness

THE TRAINING PROCESS OF CHARISMATIC MUDANG

You're wrong.
There are no precepts
There are no ordinances or rules to follow.

I have read books about this.

Have you?
No?
Then listen to me and not your *******

The Charismatic shamans - which many heriditary groups of shamans have at least one of - follow no rules. They are initiated through a spontaneous divine rite. They learn hereditary customs by other shamans. They often don't follow them though.

There is no rite of succession through lineage like in reiki
which is precisely what makes it fascinating to study

this is my whole point
Old 17-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Troll_ov_Grimness

Ignorance is bliss

Absolutely none of you are interested in the spiritual culture of Korea?

A country enjoying lots of hospitality and in throws of unprecedented cultural awareness?

What have I done that deserves so much derision?

Shamanism comes from Siberia,
those people migrated to North America
Korean shamanism is about as old as it gets

simple geography
common anthropological knowledge

I am not saying anything controversial

Korean Shamanism is a spontaneous initiation, and is a loosely connected folklore, influenced by many people and different things like Taoism and Buddhism, has popped in and out of prominence

but overall,

the focus of what they do is :

Practicum -- what they do delivers specific, scientifically studied results, proven frequency. the Charismatic paksu and mudang whether they be male or female, exist outside the folklore and mythology, this is very important to understand,

A large part of what makes korean shamanism interesting are these experiences outside the family history and tradition. there are people who come into it, even foreigners, it could be whoever, they recognize a transnational experience. will worship foreign living gods etc
Old 19-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Master
You will never understand a people UNLESS you understand the roots of their folklore and mythology. That's where their oral histories are.

"Shamanism comes from Siberia"
Shaman existed all over the world in Neolithic times, including Europe. You need to get away from the word "shaman" and think about purposes and practices instead, then you will find the current day descendents of the Neolithic.
Old 23-04-2012, 03:35 PM
NekoTheCat

and wikipedia says that 46.5% of the south koreans have no religion...
the rest of them are split, but the percentage is really small, under 25% for buddhism and so on.