Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Affirmations

Old 09-05-2017, 01:00 AM
Guide
Affirmations and Dirty Dishes

Hello All,

Recently I had an epiphany about the origins of my most dreaded household task…washing dishes. As long as I can remember, I’ve dreaded washing dishes, which is why I have always coveted automatic dishwashers.

My current home has a nice, but small, kitchen. No dishwasher. Unless I want to give up some cabinet space, I have chosen to bear the absence of an automatic dishwasher.

A few months ago, I started sneezing whenever I got a whiff of dish detergent. My first thought was that I had developed an allergy to dish liquid.

One day, I realized there had to be a deeper cause of my dread. So, I forced myself to look back at the possible cause. After a few days of contemplation, I realized that there was an adage that I was taught growing up that related to washing dishes.

When I was a child, growing up on an Indian reservation, the women relatives would always say an adage if a person splattered water on her stomach while doing dishes. This was the affirmation: “You’re going to marry a drunk.”

I have no idea where, or why, this saying developed. It was just something the elder women would say. I heard it often, as we had many relatives and I was one of two dishwashers in my family (my sister being the other).

Some would say that this is an adage. I realize now that it was an affirmation, I just didn’t know that as a child or until I began working with affirmations and the LOA.

When this adage (affirmation) ingrained itself as a subconscious belief, my dread of washing dishes was born. If I could avoid washing dishes, I could avoid the demise of marrying a drunk. Even after I married, I still dreaded the task because, logically speaking, the adage could still come true, any day.

The epiphany struck me so hard, I realized that I must share this story so that others will realize the importance of what we say to children, adages or not.

Also, as has been discussed on this forum, the importance of becoming aware of subconscious beliefs when employing the LOA and affirmations is critical to successful manifestations.

Funny enough, my sneezing at the smell of dish liquid has disappeared. And, of course, I no longer dread doing the dishes…as much!

Hope is praying for rain; Faith is bringing an umbrella
Old 09-05-2017, 01:47 AM
Suspended
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner2013
... (1) if a person splattered water on her stomach while doing dishes. This was the affirmation: “You’re going to marry a drunk.”

... (2) If I could avoid washing dishes, I could avoid the demise of marrying a drunk. ...

(1) it means: "learn to open your eyes!" (figuratively); if you don't pay attention now you'll splatter water on yourself, but later if you don't open your eyes you'll marry a bad husband!

(2) if an "affirmation" is true, it doesn't mean that its opposite is also true; not splattering water on yourself doesn't mean that you aren't naive or careless in other matters, like marrying a bad husband.

Better get an automatic dishwasher! It is more hygienic than washing dishes by hand!

Last edited by baro-san : 09-05-2017 at 04:02 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:23 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by baro-san
(1) it means: "learn to open your eyes!" (figuratively); if you don't pay attention now you'll splatter water on yourself, but later if you don't open your eyes you'll marry a bad husband!

(2) if an "affirmation" is true, it doesn't mean that its opposite is also true; not splattering water on yourself doesn't mean that you aren't naive or careless in other matters, like marrying a bad husband.

Better get an automatic dishwasher! It is more hygienic than washing dishes by hand!

Yes, I agree that an automatic dishwasher would be more hygienic! However, seeing as I started washing dishes when I was 9, the subconscious belief was born very early in my development.

A child isn't really fully-developed and worldly enough to logically reason out what you have stated in A and B. A child will take what is said at face value, which explains why some adults have self-esteem issues that were born in childhood, due to things said and done to them that they accepted as truth.

Old 17-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Pathfinder
That's so interesting and shows how easily words travel to our subconscious mind, especially when we are young. I think about it quite a lot as well.
When I re-connected with my spiritual side and became more positive in general, I realized what a big weight some seemingly small sayings have on your mind.
My grandmother always used to say that if you have luck in cards you don't have luck in love. And it literally made me believe that you always had to choose and can only have one good thing in life. It made me believe that if I have love I'll always be poor and as it happens with most of our beliefs, it became my reality.

“We are neighbors in a modern world where proximity is relative and the threshold to our hearts moves outside time and space.”
Old 18-05-2017, 01:29 AM
Suspended
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie
My grandmother always used to say that if you have luck in cards you don't have luck in love. And it literally made me believe that you always had to choose and can only have one good thing in life. It made me believe that if I have love I'll always be poor and as it happens with most of our beliefs, it became my reality.
Whenever I heard this or similar sayings, there was either a case of envy coming from a loser, or a case of offering consolation to a loser, but maybe the origin of that saying was about making decisions either with your mind, or with your heart.
Old 18-05-2017, 09:33 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by baro-san
Whenever I heard this or similar sayings, there was either a case of envy coming from a loser, or a case of offering consolation to a loser, but maybe the origin of that saying was about making decisions either with your mind, or with your heart.

Absolutely, I agree. But this isn't how a child would understand it, at least I didn't so I took it quite literally and it became a part of my belief system.

“We are neighbors in a modern world where proximity is relative and the threshold to our hearts moves outside time and space.”
Old 18-05-2017, 11:07 AM
Suspended
Guide
Hello,
What a funny ( not haha ) thread?

But I remember my grandmother in Liverpool England saying a similar story/oldwives tale about the mother of a prospective daughter in law ( early 1900's ) inviting the poor girl to help prepare the Sunday roast, the job of the girl was to peel the potatoes with a small paring knife,if she peeled too thick she was a "wastrel" and too thin and she was a "miser",

Kind Regards Billy.
Old 25-05-2017, 10:19 PM
Guide
Hello Slowsnake and nellie,

Doesn't it make you wonder if other sayings can mess us up, such as "You're driving me crazy" or "I'm losing my mind"? I mean, what if by saying such things we are inviting mental illness, such as Alzheimer's or other disorders.

Socrates said, "there is not a disease of the body that is not of the mind."

Makes you think a bit.