Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > General

Old 24-01-2015, 02:51 AM
Knower
Jobs in herbalism/naturopathy?

Does anyone know the steps to becoming an herbalist or someone that works in naturopathy? How about just normal jobs anyone can get working in this area? I don't want to go to a 4 year college and go into debt, but would like to take some classes, maybe get a certificate. I'm not sure what jobs you can do with a certificate, or what other jobs there are besides a practitioner. I don't want to deal with clients directly, I want to help them but in some other way. I'm not sure what all the options are. Can anyone give any advice or suggestions on this? Thanks!
Old 11-03-2015, 04:22 PM
bl4z3sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraeaLunaAvani
Does anyone know the steps to becoming an herbalist or someone that works in naturopathy? How about just normal jobs anyone can get working in this area? I don't want to go to a 4 year college and go into debt, but would like to take some classes, maybe get a certificate. I'm not sure what jobs you can do with a certificate, or what other jobs there are besides a practitioner. I don't want to deal with clients directly, I want to help them but in some other way. I'm not sure what all the options are. Can anyone give any advice or suggestions on this? Thanks!

First:
You're going to need a real job before starting a career as an herbalist. Congratulations if you already have a job.

Second:
Most people that you help will be looking for you to have a lot of education in
health related fields. Most likely you will be compared to an MD/DO when you try to help someone. Some might not care.

Links: These sites seem promising.
NHI College
National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health
Herbology Certificate Course
Old 11-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Everly

You cannot become a naturopath without attending college and getting a degree. There are several good universities and colleges that offer degrees in naturopathic medicine. Here's a link to Bastyr University, one of the best

When you say you don't want to deal with people directly, that you want to help in some other way, what do you mean? I also don't understand what you mean by "normal jobs".

As for certificates, there are many good schools for herbal medicine. Some, of course, are better than others. Some are just ripoffs. Do your homework before parting with a penny of your money and find a school for botanical medicine that suits you.

If you're interested in office/administrative work with a professional naturopath or herbalist, then take the appropriate clerical/office-related courses so you have the right skills to offer.
Old 13-03-2015, 05:52 AM
bl4z3sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraeaLunaAvani
Can anyone give any advice or suggestions on this? Thanks!

Only because you asked for advice or suggestions. I worked in the medical field for about seven years and left it when I realized that I didn't like to work with people and was easily irritated because people wouldn't follow medical advice. Instead, I returned to school "got in debt" and became a computer programmer. As a programmer, I can stay in my cubicle all day, poke at keyboard and rarely see people and I'm happy that way--I paid my debt with my job.

My point is that unless you're working in a lab, medical professionals demand caring and thoughtful bedside manner--and compassion. If you're lacking or doubtful of any of those qualities, stay away from healing.
Old 21-10-2015, 05:21 AM
Knower
Sorry for the very late reply, I have been trying to log in using what I thought was my username but it said I was banned for multiple logins. Then I found my old username and I guess this is the only one I can use.

Thanks for the information, I have since realized I am not cut out for this kind of work because I am not a people person, I am a strong introvert with social anxiety tendencies (including a phone phobia) and I also have a circadian rhythm disorder which prevents me from holding a day job, which i'm sure all health practitioner jobs are.

For the time being I am working in a factory, not my ideal way to spend the best years of my life, but it's all I can do right now. I have taken some free herbalism classes online and bought lots of books, so I'm pretty much teaching myself. At least I can use it for myself in my personal life.