Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Closed Thread

Old 18-10-2006, 08:39 PM
forgetful

Yeah, thats probably true, all paths will eventually lead to God. I actually just got a little defensive when Mr. Chadley implied healing is not the only path. As I have read "A Course in Miracles" and it stated that the ability to heal should attained before the mind can be healed. But the course is for people that believe the Creator offered a correction to the seperation (if you believe seperation is not the natural state) in the Holy Spirit and can lead one back to the "One". Where in the end you realize you are as God in both power and knowledge.

I have a question though, did the Buddha heal or perform miracles? I have no doubt he is Enlightened and probably could have. But I have read in some wedsites that he did and didn't.

Nonetheless, even ACIM says to work a miracle in order to induce belief is a misunderstanding of their purpose. So I guess it shouldn't matter to me if he performed them or not. Only his teachings.

Last edited by forgetful : 18-10-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 18-10-2006, 09:02 PM
forgetful

I guess this whole line of questioning started because I know how fundamentalist christians view the Budda and his teachings. I am 21 now and still have residual wounds from being told to fear God and fear an eternal punishment. It is still something that is hard for me to shake and ACIM along with many other books just comforted on the nature of God or reality.
Old 18-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgetful
Yeah, thats probably true, all paths will eventually lead to God. I actually just got a little defensive when Mr. Chadley implied healing is not the only path. As I have read "A Course in Miracles" and it stated that the ability to heal should attained before the mind can be healed. But the course is for people that believe the Creator offered a correction to the seperation (if you believe seperation is not the natural state) in the Holy Spirit and can lead one back to the "One". Where in the end you realize you are as God in both power and knowledge.

I have a question though, did the Buddha heal or perform miracles? I have no doubt he is Enlightened and probably could have. But I have read in some wedsites that he did and didn't.

Nonetheless, even ACIM says to work a miracle in order to induce belief is a misunderstanding of their purpose. So I guess it shouldn't matter to me if he performed them or not. Only his teachings.

forgetful, it can be stated from a certain point of view that the healing of ones issues allows for spiritual evolvement until the point in which resistance no longer exists. In this respect, it is true, that all those that achieve enlightenment must do so by becoming healers of themselves. "physician, heal thyself". So, in this respect, I agree with you that one must become healers of themselves to align themselves with god. However, I am not ready to come out and say that healing others, or becoming a "healer" by practice is the only way to enlightenment. Being a healer, this would sound a bit egoic if I was to support the idea. I have a close personal friend who is a teacher of the course of miracles and I will also get her take on your question and my response and maybe then I will have more to say about it.

In regards to miracles vs. healing. They are really the same thing. Both healing and miracles result from the physical manifestation of change. Miracles are often perceived as instantaneous. Where healing can be thought of as more of a process. Both are just manifestation of spirit.

Chadley.
Old 19-10-2006, 02:16 AM
BLAIR2BE

i would think that, as one becomes spiritualy enlightened, one would begin to learn to heal themselves. and through that healing one would begin to lose that "resistance". perhaps one cannot have one without the other, perhaps healing and enlightenment go hand in hand. hm?

Last edited by BLAIR2BE : 19-10-2006 at 02:35 AM.
Old 19-10-2006, 04:35 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAIR2BE
i would think that, as one becomes spiritualy enlightened, one would begin to learn to heal themselves. and through that healing one would begin to lose that "resistance". perhaps one cannot have one without the other, perhaps healing and enlightenment go hand in hand. hm?

exactly, Blair, exactly. No one can truly heal you, they can only assist you in your healing process. Thus, ultimately, you must heal yourself. I will tell you that the process of surrendering your resistance is the only way to progress down the path. It can be said this plainly. And healing is the exact same thing, so as you say, healing is the action that takes you to enlightenment. However, it is not the healing of others, but the healing of thyself. Once so enlightened, the contribution you make towards helping others to heal themselves, to guide them, becomes individual. You may be a teacher, healer , or guide in which ever way you are chosen as an instrument of god. These paths and roles that you take may vary, but they all lead to the same destination.

Chadley
Old 19-10-2006, 04:39 AM
kundalini

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadley
exactly, Blair, exactly. No one can truly heal you, they can only assist you in your healing process. Thus, ultimately, you must heal yourself. I will tell you that the process of surrendering your resistance is the only way to progress down the path. It can be said this plainly. And healing is the exact same thing, so as you say, healing is the action that takes you to enlightenment. However, it is not the healing of others, but the healing of thyself. Once so enlightened, the contribution you make towards helping others to heal themselves, to guide them, becomes individual. You may be a teacher, healer , or guide in which ever way you are chosen as an instrument of god. These paths and roles that you take may vary, but they all lead to the same destination.

Chadley

Great post Chadley!
Old 19-10-2006, 05:39 AM
e-ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgetful

I guess that none of us were alive in the time of the Buddha to ever know for sure.. but I haven't personally read any accounts of his healing. Buddhism and all of the different schools of Buddhism have been a bit of a minefield for me.. not unlike Christianity where the different traditions often contradict each other.
Old 19-10-2006, 07:56 AM
forgetful

Healing?

I do not know what it means in ACIM when it says the ability to heal must be developed in order to be healed. I think what you guys said is probably the gist of it. I would like to add this though and please correct this if this is wrong. I have read in books and other forums that when the Buddha became Enlightened he was asked, what must one do in order to become Enlightened? He replied there is nothing you need to do. Yet he still taught a path, the eightfold path. I would like to share this its from ACIM.

I Need Do Nothing
...There is one thing that you have never done; you have not utterly forgotten the body. It has perhaps faded at times fom your sight, but it has not yet completely disappeared. You are not asked to let this happen for more than an instant, yet it is in this instant that the miracle of Atonement (defined as healing of the mind)happens. Afterwards you will see the body again, but never quite the same. And every instant that you spend without awareness of it gives you a different view of it when you return.
At no single instant does the body exist at all (maybe why Buddha said salvation does not come from the sight of him (heard that in Kundun or Seven Years in Tibet)). It is always remembered or anticipated, but never experienced just now. Only its past and future make it seem real. Time controls it entirely, for sin (defined as a lack of love) is never wholly in the present. In any single instant the attraction of guilt (ACIM needs to be read to define) would be experienced as pain and nothing else, and would be avoided. It has no attraction now. Its whole attraction is imaginary, and therefore must be thought of in the past or future.
It is impossible to accept the holy instant without reservation unless, just for an instant you are willing to see no past or future. You cannot prepare for it without placing it in the future. Release is given the instant you desire it. Many have spent a lifetime in preparation, and have indeed acheived their moments of success. This course does not attempt to teach more than they learned in time, but it does aim at saving time. You may be attempting to follow a very long road to the goal you have accepted. It is extremely difficult to reach Atonement by fighting against sin. Enormous effort is expended in the attempt to make holy what is hated and despised. Nor is lifetime of contemplation and long periods of meditation aimed at detachment from the body necessary. All such attempts will ultimately succeed because of their purpose. Yet the means are tedious and very time consuming, for all of them look to future for release from a present state of unworhtiness and inadequacy.
Your way will be different, not in purpose but in means. A holy relationship (again course needs to be read to define) is a means of saving time. One instant spent together with your brother restores the universe to both of you. You are prepared. Now you need but to remember you need do nothing. It would be far more profitable now to merely concentrate on this that to consider what you should do. When peace comes at last to those who wrestle with sin; when the light comes at last into the mind given to contemplation; or when the goal is finally acheived by anyone, it always comes with just one happy realization; "I need do nothing."
Here is the ultimate release which everyone will one day find in his own way, at his own time. You do need this time. Time has been saved for you because you and your brother are together. This is the special means this course is using to save you time. You are not making use of this course if you insist on using means which have served others well, neglecting what was made for you. Save time for me by only this one preparation, and practice doing nothing else. "I need do nothing" is statement of allegiance, a truly undivided loyalty. Believe it for just one instant, and you will accomplish more than is given to a century of contemplation, or of struggle against temptation...
If you are going to ask your friend, Chadley, who is a teacher of ACIM. I would be interested in what they say regarding these questions. Maybe developing the ability to heal which would heal the healer first is kind of like "training wheels" to Enlightenment. Allowing the mind to accept an experience that is beyond all description more readily. I don't know.

Last edited by forgetful : 19-10-2006 at 08:10 AM.
Old 19-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Guide

My friend confirmed to me that the gist of ACIM’s teaching on healings are pretty much in line with what was said on prior posts.

I Need Do Nothing- This is passivity --Achieved by Surrender -- identified by the act of being unattached. As Buddha said, “let go of your body”.

I copied this from another post of mine where I recently addressed the topic:

The art of passivity does not mean that you get to hang around and just let whatever happen without a care. Of course, you can try that for a while if you want, but your inner issues will eventually catch up to you. It is important to take responsibility for your actions. The Tao, the watercourse way, does teach to choose the path of least resistance. Resistance to the truth is what causes discomfort. Do not push, and the universe does not push back. Do not resist and truth flows effortlessly through you, WITHOUT ACTION, by doing nothing. However, the very reason you have discomfort or issues in your life is because there is a part of you that is not in alignment with your divine purpose and therefore is a point of resistance to the current of truth. This is the purpose of the healer, to help you find these points of resistance and help you align them. Love does not flow through you out of force, but rather lack of. You allow love, which already exists in abundance, to flow through you. -this is passivity- You do not take action to go out and get love, it is already in you. The same can be applied to life and pain or circumstances that cause discomfort. Instead of resisting pain or covering it up, recognize it as a sign post to show you the way to what you resist. It is a beacon to show you where you need to go. Allow yourself to feel emotional pain, let it teach you and guide you.

The flip side is that molding your spirit on all planes to be an instrument of pure passivity for love and truth takes spiritual discipline, one Buddhist method being, the eight fold path. As explained above, identifying what needs to be corrected, then actually correcting is no small task. This is were strength and discipline need to be applied and action be taken.

Forgetful, the course of miracles is just that, a full on course. It is a really large can of worms. However, the whole point of this forums is to sort out all the worms, many of which come from different cans.

Chadley.
Old 19-10-2006, 03:07 PM
cweiters

The Cans

I love it !

Throw away the cans and the worms will follow yeah........! I love paraphrases!
Closed Thread