Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 27-11-2016, 06:49 PM
Master
I see you?

Hello,

Spoke of this in another thread, but thought to create a thread to perhaps expand on it and share thoughts.

Saw a piece of an interview with Trevor Noah.
Trevor Noah host The Daily Show, here in the states.
He is from South Africa.

He said in his culture people say ( translated) " I see you." He notices that in America culture, atleast what he experiences, that people see ideas, but not people.

This struck a chord with me and got me thinking that " yeah, in many interaction with others it seems true". One is seeing the idea of the person and not the person.

Trevor used the example of someone saying "I hate Muslims" when asked if they ever met a Muslim, they answer no.

So, ask what are the thoughts on this?

Do you think people see more the idea of a person or see the person as him/herself?
Old 27-11-2016, 08:01 PM
Suspended
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglow

Do you think people see more the idea of a person or see the person as him/herself?

Great question! An entire field has been created to answer and study this very thing. A free documentary that scratches the very surface: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri9hIqhiIGY
Old 28-11-2016, 01:27 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglow
Hello,

Spoke of this in another thread, but thought to create a thread to perhaps expand on it and share thoughts.

Saw a piece of an interview with Trevor Noah.
Trevor Noah host The Daily Show, here in the states.
He is from South Africa.

He said in his culture people say ( translated) " I see you." He notices that in America culture, atleast what he experiences, that people see ideas, but not people.

This struck a chord with me and got me thinking that " yeah, in many interaction with others it seems true". One is seeing the idea of the person and not the person.

Trevor used the example of someone saying "I hate Muslims" when asked if they ever met a Muslim, they answer no.

So, ask what are the thoughts on this?

I think you wrote another thread about reflections, an awful lot of stuff is being reflectd back at me.... so it is very hard to tell in what I see, where I end and the other person begins. But the energies of different people 'feel' different and give me things to look at that perhaps I hadn't already seen.

But often, I've read what I want to see into people. I don't know how much of that I've done, vs. how much of what I saw was the real person. I do know I have a limited view of people and have had many occassions to adjust my picture of them when something new happened...

But back to the topic, I found when I was young that I would look at something and see what I expected to see. Usually what I expected to see was intended to make me happy in some way. But I didn't believe it for some reason, and kinda pushed myself a little to see what was there instead of what I thought was there.... I don't remember now what I felt during those moments or how I did it, I just remember it havin ghappened. Usually with words or images that people created. Anyway, when I would do that what I would see would be vastly different that what I expected to see. And I wouldn't always *like* what I saw, either.

I think a lot of life is like that, people just comfort themselves with images and so forth that make them feel good and just go about putting things on top of the reality of things. But, if you don't do that, you are in for a rocky ride. What I've been through, well, it's not fun and games. Sometimes I think I'm stupid and just would get with it like everyone else does, sigh.
Old 28-11-2016, 07:54 AM
Lorelyen

I'm not sure if you're saying we stereotype people readily? There are times when that's appropriate and other times when not - and sometimes in between.

The whole of psychology bar psychoanalysis is based on stereotyping, classifying people.
When you hire someone for a job you work on partial stereotypes adjusted by personal preference.

There's also the matter of expectations that are effectively ideas, the front end of ideals.

The take on Muslims is an interesting one. They of themselves have never been a problem. It is not their fault that they've been raised
a hugely repressive religion. Reading a correct translation of their holy book would alarm most of other faiths. Churchill had excellent
things to say about their situation. Forum rules prevent their discussion here, Churchill being a political figure. Their culture is however
pretty remote from any "western" culture.

But I'm not American...

Old 28-11-2016, 02:06 PM
Master
I think that ideology and image are everything in the U.S. Generally Americans do a lot of reflection around Americas' ideology and image. "We are the most powerful country in the world." That statement alone is about ideology and it projects the power behind ideas. America is a nation of consumers, with the largest economy in the world, and "brand names" are very important to most Americans; its' just what a particular label stands for. So yes, I do believe that most Americans are firmly fixed on surface appearances and the ideas about things are seen as more important than those things themselves which the ideas are suppose to represent. What we see in people is the programming of our culture and how we grow ourselves. America is about the idea of alchemy; taking base metal and turning it into gold. Of course the true alchemy is Self-transformation.
Old 28-11-2016, 03:52 PM
Master

Hi Moonglow,

Quote:

Sure...but first, please define:
What is 'a person' ?

~ J
Old 28-11-2016, 04:22 PM
Master

We do tend to classify each other at first sight. It's just one more human survival trait - we trust our own group, and are skeptical of everyone else. It makes us slightly less likely to be slaughtered by the neighboring tribe. But once we socialize, even a little, the barrier that class difference represents starts falling away. It's the cultural differences that creates the real issues and that classification survival trait remains for that specific reason. We need to be wary.
Old 28-11-2016, 04:33 PM
Master

Moonglow are you saying other continents see the person rather than the idea of the person?

I've sat in busy places, a bench at our local duck park, an airport and watch people go by intent on whatever they are focused on. I see personalities, quirks, emotions, preference of dress, attitudes, how they react to other people, all of which, wrapped up together makes the person.

The garment of the soul, so to speak. And I find it curious, when I take the time to think of it, of how individual we are. How the sum total of our experiences and our reaction to said experiences make each one of us different. Yet we all reside here together, shoulder to shoulder.
Old 29-11-2016, 12:46 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathanrs
Great question! An entire field has been created to answer and study this very thing. A free documentary that scratches the very surface: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri9hIqhiIGY

Hi Johanathanrs,

The video was interesting.

Does bring to question for as to how much is ingrained in us and how much is due to one upbringing and experiences.

There also seems a little bit more involved in the process then just the physical appearance. Have known some people who physically may not be considered that attractive, yet upon knowing them found them to be lovely and their inner beauty shines through.

So, it is a fascinating to notice and explore at times for me.

Thank you
Old 29-11-2016, 01:11 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
I think you wrote another thread about reflections, an awful lot of stuff is being reflectd back at me.... so it is very hard to tell in what I see, where I end and the other person begins. But the energies of different people 'feel' different and give me things to look at that perhaps I hadn't already seen.

But often, I've read what I want to see into people. I don't know how much of that I've done, vs. how much of what I saw was the real person. I do know I have a limited view of people and have had many occassions to adjust my picture of them when something new happened...

But back to the topic, I found when I was young that I would look at something and see what I expected to see. Usually what I expected to see was intended to make me happy in some way. But I didn't believe it for some reason, and kinda pushed myself a little to see what was there instead of what I thought was there.... I don't remember now what I felt during those moments or how I did it, I just remember it havin ghappened. Usually with words or images that people created. Anyway, when I would do that what I would see would be vastly different that what I expected to see. And I wouldn't always *like* what I saw, either.

I think a lot of life is like that, people just comfort themselves with images and so forth that make them feel good and just go about putting things on top of the reality of things. But, if you don't do that, you are in for a rocky ride. What I've been through, well, it's not fun and games. Sometimes I think I'm stupid and just would get with it like everyone else does, sigh.

Hi Falling Leaves,

I am not without my fair share of expectations and at times being disappointed when feel they are not met. Have softened on these in the sense taken on more of the attitude it just was not meant to be.

For me it is trust issue in myself and to lighten up on myself. Sometimes found what I expected and feared never came and what did come was able to work through it. Yes, not always fun and for me it more about finding a peace with myself. Allowing the emotions to come and go as best I can.

Regressing a bit here. As to the subject at hand. Just was reflecting upon when greeting someone what is being seen? Is it the person/ individual/ being or is it how I may think that person to be?

Yes, I think it is natural to be drawn to what one may feel comfortable with. But there have been times when I had to deal with being out of my comfort zone. Also had some put me in check in regards to my misperspectives about them.

But, for me working through the hard times help develop more and deeper empathy for others and once done gives me more trust in myself. Helps me see more clearly the fellow being before me and myself. I know easier said then done and not intending to speak for you. Just how I veiw it.
Although may have different ideas and experiences, we all share in the joys and struggles life may bring.

Thank you for your thoughts