Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Dreams

Old 19-02-2014, 05:37 AM
Adept

Some things to consider

Obviously the brain is an expansive lab of mystery, but will still know much about it's working in psychology. This entire sections is dedicated to dream interpretation, but there's some steps I'd recommend taking first on your own that, over time, become simpler.

From a psychological perspective, dreams don't really have the intense meanings that people think. In fact, dreams are comprised of sensory information and thoughts we take in an have throughout the day, whether we are conscious of it or not. The lady in your dream you've never consciously seen? She's not special, divine, etc she's simply a face in the crowd your eyes saw but your brain did not.

With practice you will become able to attribute even the craziest dream events to thoughts or stimuli from your day. There are ways to get better at it duh as writing down dreams as soon as you wake up and doing walking meditation, being more 'in the moment' and aware I waking life, which is beneficial anyways.

After this is done, if something is still extremely baffling, that is the time to come forward about it. That's where we might extract any information from dreams that may matter, if there is any to be had. It's just a waste of one's short time to try and find meaning in every little detail of dreams, not to mentioning centering practices are great for your health ;)

Just a thought though.
Old 19-02-2014, 06:26 AM
Knower

You cant just throw all dreams into a bucket. Dream is a very broad term, its a whole spectrum. You have lucid dreaming, you have nightmares, you have common dreams, you have prophetic dreams etc. etc...you cannot just say dont dwell on details, because devil is in the detail. Your advice is dangerous, if I wouldnt pinpoint details of few of my dreams, than I wouldnt dodged dangerous situations or the blow would be much more harder.

Yes you are right, common dreams are just retrospection of your whole day in action. But you must understand that not all dreams are common dreams. You have nightmares, when malevolent entities meddle in your dreamstate. You have wet dreams, when entities know as succubi/incubus make you a visit, so they can leech off your sexual energy. You have lucid dreaming, this is extremelly imporant as it forewarns you of something or warns you of something important, as when you are dreaming your spirit departs for healing into astral,you have closer connection to your subconcious and your subconcious is connection to astral, your brain processes everything you did the whole day, your body slows down and regenerates. You have prophetic dreams, when you see what happens in the future and so on...you cant just box one label to whole spectrum. Its like you would label tea a tea, you have green tea, mint tea, ginger tea, but in your opinion they are all the same, while in reality they are not.
Old 19-02-2014, 06:41 AM
Adept

Nightmares are simply dreams with negative overtones. Evolutionary psychology would say it's to help us deal with trauma, though I'm not sure where I'd stand.

Lucid dreaming is just "common" dreaming but where you can gain control. It's another great mental training technique, though more so because of the daytime practices usually necessary.

Prophetic dreams are not a thing. I mean obviously you can dream your prophecizing, but that's still just a dream.

Side note - what're your credentials in this areas?
Old 19-02-2014, 07:01 AM
Knower

Sorry, but if you are actually acknowledging evolutionary psychology, than what are you doing at spiritual forum? Everyone is entitled to have opinions, but evolution has been proclaimed so many times as false.
Old 19-02-2014, 07:34 AM
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy92
Sorry, but if you are actually acknowledging evolutionary psychology, than what are you doing at spiritual forum? Everyone is entitled to have opinions, but evolution has been proclaimed so many times as false.

Considering I specifically said I don't think I accept that view of dream, you're writting me off for simply acknowledging the view exists.

But seeing as how you reject science and evidence I can't imagine a point debating you, lol. It's worth pointing out evolution and spirituality don't contradict though. If you've falsified evolution send me your notes and I'll happily claim the hearty reward myself :)
Old 19-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Suspended
Hiya Adept and all

Some thoughts from a big dreamer.

Over the years, I've come to realise that the majority of dream content can be traced to recent(ish) events/stuff. It's been a fascinating process. As you say, becoming more mindful in everyday life helps and really thinking about dreams and what went on the day before can lead to understandings.

Beliefs surrounding dreams cause some people to react defensively - that's true of any beliefs I suppose. A couple of years ago, I'd have reacted defensively because I sure do enjoy my dreams and didn't want them to be 'just dreams'.

These days, I'm aware of where most of the content comes from and also acknowledge that even the dreams/content where I haven't got a clue is likely to be stored in my mind somewhere from a recent daytime experience.

However, and this is where I think I've found a nice balance, I still take meanings from my dreams, even those where I think, "oh that's simply so-and-so from a programme I watched yesterday". I don't dismiss it just because it comes from waking life. I don't dismiss it just because I know its source.

I believe that meanings/messages can be found anywhere - including the very mundane. In fact, often it's the very mundane.

And if you challenge me on that belief - I'll get awfully defensive!

Nice post.
Old 19-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Guide
When a topic starts with "This is what it is, and there is no other interpretation", then it realistically wont progress without without argument.

If someone has not had an experience beyond the simply replay of life events in dreams, then it is easy to come to the conclusion that that is all there is. You cannot really convince anyone beyond their own experiences.

If you want to talk about dreams, you would probably first have to define what "consciousness" is, because the awareness of dreams is really just an exploration of that aspect of consciousness. Where does consciousness begin and end, and where does it draw its insights from, is it limited to the physical senses or is there more?
Old 19-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatchit
Hiya Adept and all

Some thoughts from a big dreamer.

Over the years, I've come to realise that the majority of dream content can be traced to recent(ish) events/stuff. It's been a fascinating process. As you say, becoming more mindful in everyday life helps and really thinking about dreams and what went on the day before can lead to understandings.

Beliefs surrounding dreams cause some people to react defensively - that's true of any beliefs I suppose. A couple of years ago, I'd have reacted defensively because I sure do enjoy my dreams and didn't want them to be 'just dreams'.

These days, I'm aware of where most of the content comes from and also acknowledge that even the dreams/content where I haven't got a clue is likely to be stored in my mind somewhere from a recent daytime experience.

However, and this is where I think I've found a nice balance, I still take meanings from my dreams, even those where I think, "oh that's simply so-and-so from a programme I watched yesterday". I don't dismiss it just because it comes from waking life. I don't dismiss it just because I know its source.

I believe that meanings/messages can be found anywhere - including the very mundane. In fact, often it's the very mundane.

And if you challenge me on that belief - I'll get awfully defensive!

Nice post.

I wouldn't dare! I completely agree, my point is more with people think their dreams are giving them information or something. Giving your own meaning to dreams is an interesting practice, and it's possible to learn some things about yourself, come up with me ideas, etc.
Old 19-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawnrr
When a topic starts with "This is what it is, and there is no other interpretation", then it realistically wont progress without without argument.

If someone has not had an experience beyond the simply replay of life events in dreams, then it is easy to come to the conclusion that that is all there is. You cannot really convince anyone beyond their own experiences.

If you want to talk about dreams, you would probably first have to define what "consciousness" is, because the awareness of dreams is really just an exploration of that aspect of consciousness. Where does consciousness begin and end, and where does it draw its insights from, is it limited to the physical senses or is there more?

It seems that many animals, at least with brains, dream. It's something tied to brains because it is memory. Since we are not talking about high vs low consciousness, to get off on that would be a red herring.

If you've got examples of dreams that cannot be explained, let's discuss them.
Old 19-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Guide
Oh...I should have looked at who made the original post.
Sorry adept....I wont bother.