Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Interfaith

Old 15-03-2022, 02:22 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem

Without the 'other', that which we are not, there can't be a religion. 'Us vs. them' is endemic to the very nature of the thing. A necessary feature without which a religion cannot survive.

Gem,

All valid points…well said. Some would say if you extend that logic you could say that the most basic ‘us vs. them’ is the family. Defenders of religion might say that religion is an effort to expand or extend the family.
Old 16-03-2022, 01:25 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Defenders of religion might say that religion is an effort to expand or extend the family.
In that sense, the 'family' can only be expanded under a symbolic umbrella and has nothing real to define it. Real family is defined by bloodlines which integrate as the children of each generation incorporate additional ancestral lines. One family sees itself as the same as other families because the criteria for identity and belonging is based on real things (notwithstanding adoptions). Therefore, no externalised contrast is required for me to know I am in this family and not that family. I know where I stand in relation to other family members through knowledge of ancestry.

A religion claiming to extend a family is disingenuous because there is no bloodline to substantiate it. We tend to dilute the meaning of the word 'family' so it depends on the connotation. I have seen companies referring to their staff as 'family' , but really we should understand that the root of the word 'family' pertains to blood relations. Other than that, it has no basis in reality and is naught but a story.

Last edited by Gem : 16-03-2022 at 05:02 AM.
Old 16-03-2022, 03:42 AM
Master

Religion might think of it as family but I think of it more as tribalism…..that which reinforces division….
Old 16-03-2022, 03:44 AM
Master

Understandably you took it more literally than I intended….
Old 01-04-2022, 08:35 PM
Madamedude

Some seem to say that religion, just like state, creates a divide between people. Yet, people are what make society live, you know. How do you think religion lives on? Through you. Each, and every one of you, the religion you believe in, and those that you think are "opposed" to yours.

Going from there, the only differences left are.. yours! If you're the one making it live on, you're the one that says stop to difference.

You're the one saying we can all get along, reader.

You're the one that can make it happen.
Old 04-04-2022, 05:04 PM
Master

Family

Quote:
religion is an effort to expand or extend the family.
Indeed it is extension of family. It is brotherhood under the fatherhood of God. Frequent references to Father by Jesus in bible is a a testimony to it. In day to day routine context family may have requirement of same bloodlines. But in larger context,existence of love,affection,trust loyalty,care etc are the things that signify family. And in that sense there is no limit. Scriptures proclaim that Vasudhaiv kutumbakam( world is my family).
Old 22-04-2022, 02:53 PM
Master
Quote:
Religion might think of it as family but I think of it more as tribalism…..that which reinforces division….

Think of religion as a belief system. Everybody seems to have a belief system and we generally accept that without any squabbles. Look at SpiritualForums, we have something like 89 different Forums and for the most part, we get along.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜