Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Astral Projection

Old 27-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Scibat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One
This is like arguing the ocean floor doesn't exist by describing the patterns of the surface currents. Your argument is based on physical observation of phenomena that is widely considered metaphysical in nature... nothing scientific contradicts the ideas you're trying to discredit.

I don't recall saying I was discrediting anything. I simply said here are the medical phenomena some people may confuse with AP or an OBE, also by uninformed I mean, simply that, people who have not heard of these medical phenomena might readily assume they are something more than what they are.

The degree of knee-jerking here is both amusing and unsurprising.
Old 27-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Master
I kinda got the same impression from you OP.
Really how do you know the people you have seen were uninformed. The fact that you said that set the mood...........you have to see how that could be seen in a negative way.......no?
Old 27-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Time

I dont find anything about the OP wrong or misleading. Its a good POV on something that is talked about lots on here, with good information. Call it 'debunker' style all you want, but its informative, and is backed up more then any sort of AP or anything.

I get the feeling scibat may not belive it, but he makes his stance clear in the OP when he mentioned that it gets thrown around a lot here, and IMO thats his stance on the matter. He cant fully control how people react to the thread, 90% of that is up to the people reading it. He isnt disrespectful or ignorant about it, just very blunt.... And if you cant except that then dont read the thread..

Theres no reason to start pegging off something that is meant to be interpreted, as bad or good, because thats your own interpretation. IF he has a debunking attitude, so what? He makes a very blatent point, it wasnt disrespectful or anything.
*shrug
Old 27-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Master
Just saying, don't be surprised at the responses......when you start a thread that way and if it was miscontrued the way the thread was started then I'm just suggesting how easily that could be done by others the way it worded. No problem with it............
Old 27-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Scibat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteShaman
I kinda got the same impression from you OP.
Really how do you know the people you have seen were uninformed. The fact that you said that set the mood...........you have to see how that could be seen in a negative way.......no?

I didn't know that they were or weren't. I didn't say "All of you are uninformed", nor did I imply such. I have seen many posts where sleep paralysis or hypnagogic hallucinations seemed like the culprit was mentioned by another member and the OP replied with something to the effect, "I never heard of that."

Those people were uninformed.

If someone chooses to take it as debunking or discrediting, that is their hang-up, not mine. Speaking frankly some people here are way too thin skinned when it comes to anything that can explain something medically or scientifically and deliberately choose to take such things in a negative light as if science and reason where some enemy to be vanquished.

Which is again, not my problem.

I was just sharing the data, from research and raw experience. People can take it or leave it as they see fit.
Old 27-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Scibat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time
I dont find anything about the OP wrong or misleading. Its a good POV on something that is talked about lots on here, with good information. Call it 'debunker' style all you want, but its informative, and is backed up more then any sort of AP or anything.

I get the feeling scibat may not belive it, but he makes his stance clear in the OP when he mentioned that it gets thrown around a lot here, and IMO thats his stance on the matter. He cant fully control how people react to the thread, 90% of that is up to the people reading it. He isnt disrespectful or ignorant about it, just very blunt.... And if you cant except that then dont read the thread..

Theres no reason to start pegging off something that is meant to be interpreted, as bad or good, because thats your own interpretation. IF he has a debunking attitude, so what? He makes a very blatent point, it wasnt disrespectful or anything.
*shrug

Thanks Time, sincerely.

Yes it was blunt and blatant, and as you surmised not intending to be disrespectful but rather just sharing the data.

Glad someone gets it.
Old 27-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Master
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time

*shrug

I second that, right on the mark.

Old 27-10-2011, 08:12 PM
nightowl

I think everyone is sharing their view from their own experiences and perspective, I see no problem with this, I have been on both sides with experiences mentioned hear. Sharing info that covers both side is a good thing. That is how we learn and grow.
Old 27-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Just One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scibat

No knee jerk reaction, just common sense. If you think the average person won't take "A little dose of reality" condescendingly that is your hang up.

Quote:
Speaking frankly some people here are way too thin skinned when it comes to anything that can explain something medically or scientifically and deliberately choose to take such things in a negative light as if science and reason where some enemy to be vanquished.

Who here is an enemy of science? In my mind science dovetails with spirituality quite seamlessly. It's you who seems intent on drawing a line in the sand. To me and most others, they're two sides of a coin.
Old 27-10-2011, 08:52 PM
mattie

Absolute vs Measured Statement

Quote:
I don't recall saying I was discrediting anything. I simply said here are the medical phenomena some people may confuse with AP or an OBE, also by uninformed I mean, simply that, people who have not heard of these medical phenomena might readily assume they are something more than what they are.

You are discrediting others assessment that they have APed by saying ,'
I have seen many uninformed people who think or claim that they are having an OBE or Astral Projecting themselves ...' To discredit is to cause an idea, conclusion, or piece of evidence to seem unreliable. To say they are misinterpreting their own experience is discrediting their account.

There is a big difference between the measured statement of saying that a situation applies to you & may apply to others vs making a categorical statement that seems to applies to all APing & OBEs.

Quote:

Another attempt to discredit by characterizing replies 'knee-jerking' that only reinforces my above & prior statement.