Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 15-02-2020, 10:01 AM
Master
Post Did the big bang really happen?

The creationists, with the backing of the Catholic Church, came up with a scientific explanation for "the creation" which was eventually accepted by the majority of scientists. Ironically, it was Fred Hoyle, a leading proponent of an infinite universe, who dismissively coined the phrase which popularized the creationist theory. Hoyle called it: "the big bang."

It was in 1927 that Monsignor Georges Lemaitre, published what became known as the theory of the big bang. His paper was titled "A homogeneous Universe of constant mass and growing radius accounting for the radial velocity of extragalactic nebulae." Lemaitre designed and based his big bang theory on the Biblical story of Genesis. Lemaitre hoped to make the Bible scientific and in accord with testable observations. The universe, he said, was created by a creator, as detailed in Genesis, chapter 1: "In the beginning God created the heavens...And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness."

Lemaitre initially called his theory the "hypothesis of the primeval atom" and described it as "the Cosmic Egg exploding at the moment of the creation." Today is known as "The Big Bang."

Lemaitre's relativistic cosmology was also based on the belief that the radius of the universe increases over time because of the explosion from the creation event. Lemaitre (1927, 1931a,b) proposed, therefore, that the expansion of the universe explains the redshift of stars following the "creation." Lemaitre derivation antedated Hubble's formulation by two years. Even so, it became known as Hubble's law and provided the numerical value of the Hubble constant which in turn has been employed to describe the hypothetical expansion rate and age and size of the universe (Hubble 1936a, 1937a,b, 1953).

Lemaitre's physics, as Lemaitre admitted, had a spiritual foundation. Monsignor Lemaitre firmly believed Jesus Christ was God and God created the universe, as advocated by the Catholic Church and as described in Genesis 1. Lemaitre was in fact an honorary prelate with the rank of Bishop in the Catholic Church, a professor at the Catholic University of Leuven. and president of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences which is under the direction and authority of the Pope of the Catholic Church. Lemaitre's "big bang" theory was in accordance with the teachings of the Church, was supported by the Pope, and backed by the authority of the Bible.

The Universe was created. According to the creationists: God created the Universe.

For thousands of years, however, other scientists, philosophers and sages, have argued the universe is infinite and eternal, and that the very foundation of existence, undergoes constant change. For example the Greek "atomists" Democritus, Anaxagoras and Epicurus argued that the universe was infinite; that permanence was an illusion--a manifestation of the act of observing and the limitation of the senses

http://cosmology.com/CosmicConsciousness.html
Old 15-02-2020, 05:15 PM
Master

I think that "who created the Universe?" is irrelevant. It doesn't matter, and we can't know. There'll always come the next question "who created that Creator?".

Who created your dreams' universe? You? Who created you? ...

The "big bang" is just a place holder. Nothing more, nothing less.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 15-02-2020, 05:21 PM
Deactivated Account
God doesn't exist, so yes the big bang DID in fact happen and an ever-expanding universe seems to confirm that it all came from a starting point.
Old 15-02-2020, 07:19 PM
Master

I am not a scientist, and most of the science behind explanations of the Big Bang is beyond my understanding. But the theory does raise various questions.

If there was a Big Bang then what went bang and what made it go bang? Why is this any different from the idea of the Universe being created out of nothing by a Divine Intelligence?

If the universe is expanding then what is it expanding into? Is there a vast region of empty "space" surrounding the universe to accommodate the expanding universe?

If the universe is expanding then is there a central point where it all began?

Even if the universe is currently expanding then does it mean that it will always expand? There may come a time when the process will be reversed and it will start contracting. So some people put forward the idea of the "Big Crunch" when it will all end.

Which also suggests the possibility that there are a succession of universes, each beginning with a Big Bang and ending with a Big Crunch, followed by a new Big Bang and so on.

The belief in the theory of a Big Bang seems to be a scientifically acceptable version of the idea that God created the Universe. I see little difference between the scientist who believes that it all started with a Big Bang and the Christian who believes that God created the Universe. Both describe the same thing according to their beliefs.

And the problem for me with the Big Bang theory is that it only deals with the physical Universe. It does not deal with etheric substance underlying the dense physical. It ignores the possibility of non-physical planes of existence which existed before the physical Universe began and will continue to exist after the physical Universe ends.

I prefer the idea put forward in the Vishnu Purana and other texts that there are periods when the physical Universe comes into manifestation (manvantara) and then goes out of manifestation (pralaya). It is a cyclic process over huge periods of time.

It may be that in 100 years time the Big Bang theory will be ridiculed by science as being inadequate to explain anything.

Peace
Old 15-02-2020, 07:24 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerOfLight
God doesn't exist, so yes the big bang DID in fact happen and an ever-expanding universe seems to confirm that it all came from a starting point.
Did you read the entire post or did you just read the title of this thread. The comment you made says the latter.
Old 15-02-2020, 07:29 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
I think that "who created the Universe?" is irrelevant. It doesn't matter, and we can't know. There'll always come the next question "who created that Creator?".

Who created your dreams' universe? You? Who created you? ...

The "big bang" is just a place holder. Nothing more, nothing less.
I think who or what singularity created the Universe is irrelevant too. The intention of this thread is about the big bang, not who or what created the universe/big bang.
Old 15-02-2020, 07:30 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS80
Did you read the entire post or did you just read the title of this thread. The comment you made says the latter.

Both. I just cut to the chase and didn't have anything more to add.
Old 15-02-2020, 07:36 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
I am not a scientist, and most of the science behind explanations of the Big Bang is beyond my understanding. But the theory does raise various questions.

If there was a Big Bang then what went bang and what made it go bang? Why is this any different from the idea of the Universe being created out of nothing by a Divine Intelligence?

If the universe is expanding then what is it expanding into? Is there a vast region of empty "space" surrounding the universe to accommodate the expanding universe?

If the universe is expanding then is there a central point where it all began?

Even if the universe is currently expanding then does it mean that it will always expand? There may come a time when the process will be reversed and it will start contracting. So some people put forward the idea of the "Big Crunch" when it will all end.

Which also suggests the possibility that there are a succession of universes, each beginning with a Big Bang and ending with a Big Crunch, followed by a new Big Bang and so on.

The belief in the theory of a Big Bang seems to be a scientifically acceptable version of the idea that God created the Universe. I see little difference between the scientist who believes that it all started with a Big Bang and the Christian who believes that God created the Universe. Both describe the same thing according to their beliefs.

And the problem for me with the Big Bang theory is that it only deals with the physical Universe. It does not deal with etheric substance underlying the dense physical. It ignores the possibility of non-physical planes of existence which existed before the physical Universe began and will continue to exist after the physical Universe ends.

I prefer the idea put forward in the Vishnu Purana and other texts that there are periods when the physical Universe comes into manifestation (manvantara) and then goes out of manifestation (pralaya). It is a cyclic process over huge periods of time.

It may be that in 100 years time the Big Bang theory will be ridiculed by science as being inadequate to explain anything.

Peace
I am not a scientist either but a little common sense goes a long way.

My OP is about someone by the name of Lemaitre, whom is associated with the church created the big bang theory. I do not if you saying something similar to that is a coincidence or not.
Old 15-02-2020, 07:49 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS80
I am not a scientist either but a little common sense goes a long way.

My OP is about someone by the name of Lemaitre, whom is associated with the church created the big bang theory. I do not if you saying something similar to that is a coincidence or not.

I read your comments on Lemaitre and then I focused on the title you gave this thread - Did the big bang really happen?

Peace
Old 15-02-2020, 08:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
I read your comments on Lemaitre and then I focused on the title you gave this thread - Did the big bang really happen?

Peace