Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 30-01-2020, 12:29 PM
Seeker
Lightbulb Help; Ideas for discussion needed

At my work, I run a group focusing on 'Faith Exploration'. (You read that right).

We've focused on many topics and while we avoid anything topical, linked to one religion or single issue subjects, we've touched on a wide variety of subjects (NDEs, Death, Courage, The Golden Rule, etc.- 26 in all)

What sort of topics would be on point for something like this? We definitely tie most topics back to science and research for and against the idea on target for that meeting. Like Mike R w/dirty Jobs, I'm out of ideas!

Appreciate this forum & I'm not going to judge any suggestions; just toss it out there. Thank you.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:37 AM
Master
Help; Ideas for discussion needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodhiCris
At my work, I run a group focusing on 'Faith Exploration'. (You read that right).

We've focused on many topics and while we avoid anything topical, linked to one religion or single issue subjects, we've touched on a wide variety of subjects (NDEs, Death, Courage, The Golden Rule, etc.- 26 in all)

What sort of topics would be on point for something like this? We definitely tie most topics back to science and research for and against the idea on target for that meeting. Like Mike R w/dirty Jobs, I'm out of ideas!

Appreciate this forum & I'm not going to judge any suggestions; just toss it out there. Thank you.

Hello again BodhiCris,

Interesting Focus Group! I invite you to take a look at the reference, below, provided as answer to another SF member who had a similar interest in the topic of Faith. Please bear with the length of my explanation to his, and your excellent question.

Hope you share some of the response(s), if any, from your work group.

Reference: http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...5&postcount=36
“Why, that’s true! I am a perfect, unlimited gull!” Jonathan opened his eyes asking, "Where are we?” The Elder Chiang said, “We’re on some planet with a green sky and a double star for a sun.” Jonathan made a scree of delight. “IT WORKS!" “Well, of course it works, Jon,” said Chiang. “It always works, when you know what you’re doing." (and even when you don't)
Old 02-02-2020, 09:28 AM
Master
Hi,

In my mind Faith Exploration is a lot like Belief Manifestation. My understanding is that the beliefs we have create our reality. This has more to do with the energy of our beliefs than any specific subject.

Would this subject be of interest to your group?

John

http://www.telepathyacademy.net/
Old 02-02-2020, 11:34 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:

Here's something I've been contemplating recently.

Awareness vs. mind and in this context: Awareness is of the spiritual realm and mind is of the scientific realm and there is no inherent conflict.

We have The Hard Problem of consciousness which can thought of as on the spiritual side and mind which can be thought of as on the scientific side and as purely deterministic. Spirituality says we have free will and science says that's an illusion.

I posit they are not contradictory views and play together quite nicely and especially when one directly experiences the space between them. Awareness is the seat of free will and the body-mind, a fantastic deterministic biological machine, only possesses self-will, which is deterministic.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:08 PM
ketzer

Quote:

If you have not already done so, perhaps you could focus on what faith itself is, is not, or what individuals believe it should be, when it should be, when (if?) it is necessary, when it is not, etc....
Old 02-02-2020, 03:20 PM
Master

U may discuss something like
1. Functions of spirituality
2. laws of spirituality
3. Divine feelings like love , empathy , sympathy , bravery , charity ,generosity , devotion ,grace , force ,gratitude ,serenity ,faith , abundance etc
Old 04-02-2020, 12:56 PM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by guthrio
Hello again BodhiCris,

Interesting Focus Group! I invite you to take a look at the reference, below, provided as answer to another SF member who had a similar interest in the topic of Faith.

Guthrio, I will check it out and definitely share findings... Thank you!
Old 04-02-2020, 04:58 PM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by John32241
Hi,

In my mind Faith Exploration is a lot like Belief Manifestation. My understanding is that the beliefs we have create our reality. This has more to do with the energy of our beliefs than any specific subject.

Would this subject be of interest to your group?

John
Hi John32241 - we have done a subject on "Manifesting Reality" based on the works of Raden, Chalmers, Sheldrake and others. It's a fascinating topic, and the point we zeroed in on was how the energy you need to manifest is near fanatical and why you have so many who are down on "The Law of Attraction". It's a subject we're likely to return to...

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2020, 05:06 PM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
If you have not already done so, perhaps you could focus on what faith itself is, is not, or what individuals believe it should be, when it should be, when (if?) it is necessary, when it is not, etc....

Ah, this is a funky chestnut...

My opinion on faith/belief goes as follows.
The ineffable (re; consciousness, universal energy, etc.) must exist without quantitative measurement or reductive categorization. Then you have faith and belief.
Belief is when you have received or told yourself a "Truth" about the ineffable and have boxed out all other options without exploration.

Faith is when you accept the ineffable based on experience, and trust our puny human capacity is incapable of knowing more. The more is out there but does not require categorization or measurement. It is.

I remember Sadguru commenting the act of belief is a mini-death, eliminating any other options beyond the hyper-narrow belief. Literal acceptance of any religious text is belief; reading the meaning and context of the text and attempting to understand the nature of the teachings is an act of faith. Basically; it's opposite belief in our lovely dualistic world.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:10 PM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Here's something I've been contemplating recently.

Awareness vs. mind and in this context: Awareness is of the spiritual realm and mind is of the scientific realm and there is no inherent conflict.

We have The Hard Problem of consciousness which can thought of as on the spiritual side and mind which can be thought of as on the scientific side and as purely deterministic. Spirituality says we have free will and science says that's an illusion.

I posit they are not contradictory views and play together quite nicely and especially when one directly experiences the space between them. Awareness is the seat of free will and the body-mind, a fantastic deterministic biological machine, only possesses self-will, which is deterministic.

I'm with you; I see science as integral to life on earth (in our advanced society and being bathed in tech). I also see consciousness as a fundamental force, like gravity, and living in dimensional space around but outside the scope of science. Any theory bringing the two together is bold, bound to cause strife and ultimately 'is' even though we can't prove it.

I'm no longer a fan of 'proof'; I much prefer experience. But that's just me.