Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Taoism

Old 10-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Absonite

"My approach, and however I talk about it, is REAL!!! Everyone else's is fake, symbolic, just a bunch of concepts, etc..."

Yeah.
Riiiiiight.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:57 PM
Master
No, no ones approach is the real, we can only approach it with pointing, but don't get hooked on the pointing, see where it points to, and you will find that you cannot explain what the pointing pointed to, so you point also, do you get the point?.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:32 AM
Black Sun

Tao is a word. God is a word. In my understanding, both are 'supposed' to mean the same thing. The Great Unknown, the undefinable Space Between particles, that connects every particle to every other particle, every point in space and time to every other point in space and time. People have just been spending a lot more time trying to define, "put a face" on, God (and not doing such a great job of it imho) a lot more than the Tao. The God that can be explained is not the True God. That's just my opinion.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sun
Tao is a word. God is a word. In my understanding, both are 'supposed' to mean the same thing. The Great Unknown, the undefinable Space Between particles, that connects every particle to every other particle, every point in space and time to every other point in space and time. People have just been spending a lot more time trying to define, "put a face" on, God (and not doing such a great job of it imho) a lot more than the Tao. The God that can be explained is not the True God. That's just my opinion.
That is not an opinion, that is words that point to truth, the Tao.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Black Sun

Thanks. Nice to be reminded that I do know a few things, even if I try to live by the Socrates mantra as much as possible.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sun
This may seem so when Daoism is first looked at, but the Dao is not a deity of any kind. It's basically an impersonal force that moves behind reality. In Daoist religions there's a myriad of gods who are worshipped & venerated. Some of them being sages themselves who are known for being in perfect harmony with the Dao, such as Laozi. So comparing the concept with a god of common perceptions can lead to misunderstanding, since western cultures have a fundamental and often subconscious presupposition of what a deity is or isn't, that isn't traditionally present in daoic religions.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Black Sun

"Impersonal force that moves behind reality".

That's pretty consistent with my concept of Unity, Divinity, Universal Energy, that makes up the majority of my spiritual path. Oftentimes I use the term God to avoid having to explain Taoism and the various other systems of mysticism to westerners for simplicity and ease of communication (I actually am a westerner, just to be clear about that, but I also have a deep love for eastern philosophies). Sometimes I use terms like "Great Mother" or other familial euphemisms in order to feel more connected to the Tao. But I always try to keep hir in mind as the unknown, indefinable, the infinite possibilities. Though there are pitfalls to be accountable for.

"subconscious presupposition of what a deity is or isn't"

Hence the comment about trying to put a face on God and not doing a very good job of it. That's one of the big pitfalls.
Old 14-07-2013, 01:05 AM
Absonite

To me, a primordial Self-differentiation of God - The I AM, The Infinite Reality - is: personal complemented and contrasted by mechanical.

I consider Daoism simply as an approach for considering the way of mechanical (impersonal) dynamics.
Old 14-07-2013, 01:31 AM
Mayflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
the Tao is beyond concepts.

As is God.
Old 22-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Deactivated Account
Tao te Ching does mention God. But only to say tao is older than God.
This initially made no sense to me, so I let it be, until it did.
Now it does, in the too-obvious-to-be-seen way that taoism permits.