Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 10-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Bluegreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter2Ego
ALTER2EGO -to- BLUEGREEN:
As soon as you can post scriptures proving the "idea" of purgatory is found in God's inspired word, the Judeo-Christian Bible, you will have made a legitimate point. Until that occurs, I will have to dismiss your above comments as mere opinion. Evidence from within the Bible, not opinion, is what is required when making claims about Biblical teachings.

I will watch for your Biblical evidence of the "idea" of purgatory.

I did not claim that purgatory is found in the Bible. All I meant was to point out that your comment was pedantic and arrogant. However, a quick search came up with this:

"The Bible does not mention the exact word “purgatory,” but instead it makes reference to a place which can be understood as what is referred to as purgatory. To claim that purgatory does not exist because the exact word does not appear in Scripture is a failure to understand Scripture."

http://www.aboutcatholics.com/belief...-in-the-bible/
Old 28-06-2013, 02:06 AM
Alter2Ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegreen
I did not claim that purgatory is found in the Bible. All I meant was to point out that your comment was pedantic and arrogant. However, a quick search came up with this:

"The Bible does not mention the exact word “purgatory,” but instead it makes reference to a place which can be understood as what is referred to as purgatory. To claim that purgatory does not exist because the exact word does not appear in Scripture is a failure to understand Scripture."

http://www.aboutcatholics.com/belief...-in-the-bible/
As I recall, I asked that you prove purgatory is a Biblical teaching by quoting scriptures from the Judeo-Christian Bible and explain where the quoted verses are talking about purgatory. That is not what you did. You instead quoted somebody else's opinion.
Old 28-06-2013, 03:48 AM
TeeHee

Quote:
ALTER2EGO -to- HASBEAN:
The "idea" of purgatory might make sense to anyone who chooses to accept human philosophies. However, if the idea is not supported by scriptures in God's inspired word, the Judeo-Christian Bible, it amounts to false religious teaching.

1 Corinthians 3:12-15 is where I believe the Catholic church stands on purgatory:

2 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.
Old 28-06-2013, 08:44 AM
Bluegreen

Quote:
As I recall, I asked that you prove purgatory is a Biblical teaching by quoting scriptures from the Judeo-Christian Bible and explain where the quoted verses are talking about purgatory. That is not what you did. You instead quoted somebody else's opinion.

Ater2Ego, you asked for a quote, you did not ask for an opinion: "Evidence from within the Bible, not opinion,..."
Old 28-06-2013, 12:30 PM
justme50

The burning in hell-fire if you don't get 'saved' is a very sick dogma indeed. A deity which sanctioned such a penalty, would be in need of serious psychiatric attention!
Old 17-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Ascender

The teachings of purgatory ISN'T a teaching of Jesus, or any other faithful servant of Jehovah God from days of old. This is a catholic teaching based on traditions, NOT from Jehovah God. MANY would say, “just because it's not in the bible, doesn't mean it isn't true". But Jehovah Gods words also said ,(Pro. 16:25 There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death). If it's NOT scriptural, then it's NOT true. And that's implying Jehovah God can't make up his mind. And his way of thinking is far greater than humans, (Isa. 55:8,9 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts).

Jehovah God KNOWS satan WILL have humans disagreeing with it comes to his ,(Jehovah), words. And satan KNOWS he's the master of trickery. This is why Jehovah's words tells us to stick close to him, so that we would know ,( Ephe. 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles, (tricks) of the devil). Jehovah God would have made sure it's clear that there was a place where he put the dead, in which he wasn't sure yet of their fate. he knows what to do with us, many speak as though he doesn't. Which would basically put him in the same state we are in, imperfect! Just like he didn't create a “hellfire”, he didn't create a purgatory”. And just as one can do research on a “hellfire”, so can they do concerning a “purgatory”, Sadly satan knows many won't do this.

Jesus being the son of Jehovah God, would have at least taught his followers that his Father has such a place, he NEVER did. But to believe in actual places like a burning place for the wicked, or a place where the dead goes until “god” decides where to send them. Is to believe the dead, has a ghost-like form which still lives. ALSO a teaching of satan which MANY follows, and refuse to research. because the “SOULS”, ISN'T that which leaves a dead body, but ARE those which were living, (1Cor. 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit). See also ...(Gen. 2:6,7). here says ,(Ezek. 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die). IF... it's from the dead already, why would it die again? Jesus speaks of a SOUL, (Luke 12:19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry).

IF... a soul leaves a dead body, it wouldn't have ANY years, that stops once one died. scriptures throughout the bible proves this. Hell, ONLY mankind’s grave,(Jonah 2:1,2),here Jonah calls a fish body “hell” he THOUGHT he would die there, Which would have been his grave. Also see ,(Psa. 139:8 , Psa. 16:10). and if the christendom’s teachings of demons living in a fiery place was so true. Then why would Jesus believe fire will destroy them? ,(Matt. 25:41) ,he would KNOW it wouldn't! So scriptures DON'T back up ANY FALSE teachings of man-made “purgatories” or “hell fires”. ANY who wants or ask for the truth will find it, as Jesus said ,(Matt. 7:7,8). this is why we have search sites and encyclopedias. STILL ,many refuse to do research. Not wanting the truth, can cost us our lives, (1Tim. 2:3,4 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour. Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth). Handle it girl! peace
Old 17-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme50
The burning in hell-fire if you don't get 'saved' is a very sick dogma indeed. A deity which sanctioned such a penalty, would be in need of serious psychiatric attention!
Whether we realize it or not, this is basically a judgment on people from a completely different world than we live in. It's like condemning the beliefs of some tribe in the jungle because they are 'offensive' to us. But they shouldn't be thought of in our context in the first place, those beliefs belong to the context of a different people, making our harsh judgment of it self-centered and ignorant. Making ourselves guilty of thinking everyone else needs to believe like us, and those who don't have 'sick' beliefs.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Master
Very True Seawolf even though I find "eternal" Hell to be impossible. I never said "Hell" would be impossible.

And we have to realize that non-religious people have some really "sick beliefs" too. Take the reincarnation one. Some people believe if you are a bad person you reincarnate as a child with down syndrome or some ailment. Or you come back as an insect and become prey to other animals.

I don't know whats worse a God who reincarnates a bad soul into cancer-bodies, bodies with down syndrome,- all kinds of bad lives, or allows a bad soul to burn in Hell forever.

I think both are horrible

I remember a mystic once said about Heaven, Purgatory, and Hell- "None of those are Lawful nor Loving"

With a just and lawful but loving God- heaven, purgatory, and hell can only be states of consciousness. Nothing can be eternal except God since eternal means no beginning and no end. And since souls are considered eternal then souls can not have a beginning nor end- only ended up in states of differing consciousness.

Dogmatic concepts on origin of the soul, God's nature, justice, heaven/hell etc formulated WAY after Jesus' entire mission in the NT. He is perhaps the vaguest of them all since he refers to- "Prepared for them is the unquenchable fire for they will die in their sins".

I can not find a single Bible quote and I dare you fundamentalists right now to do. Find a single Bible quote where Jesus says- "And the bad souls go to Hell for an eternity" or "Sinners will burn in a Lake of Fire forever and ever after they died and their body decays."

And why is it that all the oldest Bible manuscripts referred to Hell as Gehenna? And many instances scholars have said that the Churches took many liberties to change "Grave" or "Sheol" into Hell.