Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 09-01-2019, 07:14 AM
Knower
Mantra books, from hindu authors ?

Namaste,

If you could direct me what to look for. Or a website with authentic information, because there are a lot of people who give bad information.I need to get deeper understanding of mantras, their history, how do they work and pretty much to get deeper into them. :)

And I'd like to ask, if I chant for a while a mantra and after that start chanting another one, might this be non-healthy energy mixing ?

Thanks. :)
Old 24-01-2019, 02:36 PM
Master
I was deep in mantras years before,so here's my own take on what they are and how the work.

It's all about your inner self and your subconsious mind.The moment you'll see-read about a particular mantra,your inner self is informed about what it does.Now your part is to trigger it..

For example let's say that i we can both trigger mantras instantly..My book says that the mantra ''dfdfd'' is the one who opens the crown chakra,and yours that the same mantra is opening the muladhara.

By using the same mantra,we'll have different results.(hope you're understanding what i want to say).

If i could suggest a book about mantras,for me David Frawley's ''mantra yoga and primal sound''was one of the best.

Also chanting a mantra doesn't mean that you trigger it.As long as they don't work,you can chant them all day.If you activate one,you'll feel it.And if it's your first time,the energetic shift might scare you.

I agree that you have to find the right source of info,cause if it feels right,then your inner self will be convinced also.If i could use a more clear example,i would say that the first time something enters your perception,the info stays on your memory.Then you use the trigger (mantra) and your inner self gets tuned with the energetic signature-frequency that lies beyond the trigger.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:41 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax
I was deep in mantras years before,so here's my own take on what they are and how the work.

It's all about your inner self and your subconsious mind.The moment you'll see-read about a particular mantra,your inner self is informed about what it does.Now your part is to trigger it..

For example let's say that i we can both trigger mantras instantly..My book says that the mantra ''dfdfd'' is the one who opens the crown chakra,and yours that the same mantra is opening the muladhara.

By using the same mantra,we'll have different results.(hope you're understanding what i want to say).

If i could suggest a book about mantras,for me David Frawley's ''mantra yoga and primal sound''was one of the best.

Also chanting a mantra doesn't mean that you trigger it.As long as they don't work,you can chant them all day.If you activate one,you'll feel it.And if it's your first time,the energetic shift might scare you.

I agree that you have to find the right source of info,cause if it feels right,then your inner self will be convinced also.If i could use a more clear example,i would say that the first time something enters your perception,the info stays on your memory.Then you use the trigger (mantra) and your inner self gets tuned with the energetic signature-frequency that lies beyond the trigger.

Thanks for the info :)
Old 08-03-2019, 03:28 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalsun
Namaste,

If you could direct me what to look for. Or a website with authentic information, because there are a lot of people who give bad information.I need to get deeper understanding of mantras, their history, how do they work and pretty much to get deeper into them. :)

This is a pretty good primer on mantra and mantra japa (mantra repetition). https://www.rudraksham.com/SagunaMantra1.aspx

Typically one chants the name of the deity whom they are drawn to (naama japa). Any deity's name can be used for chanting. Mantras with odd looking syllables...kreem, hreem, aim, gam, etc. are called beeja mantras. They should only be used when given by a guru. Sound is energy; if untrained, the person may get results they didn't expect. For example, Maa Kali. She is very energetic and fierce. To chant her beeja mantra might get her a little too frenzied.

The format of naama mantras are typically om sri [deity name] namaha. The name is in the dative case, meaning "to/for". E.g. om sri krishnaaya namah = "Reverence/obeisance to Lord Krishna"; om sri ganeshaaya (or ganapataye) namah = "Reverence/obeisance to Lord Ganesha"; and so on. The 2nd page of the article I linked to gives a list of deity naama mantras. Of course, one can chant the plain name of the deity. Invoking the name is invoking the deity, because the name is non-different from the deity.

Btw, writers often provide the most horrible transliterations and pronunciations. When you see -yai at the end of a goddess's name it is pronounced like the yi in "yikes" or "eye", not yay or say. "aa" or ā is like in father.

My own mantra is as in my signature oṃ namo bhagavate vāsudevāya, "Prostrations to the Lord God, Vasudeva (Krishna, avatar of Vishnu)". I use a tulsi mala because the tulsi plant is an incarnation of Goddess Lakshmi, Vishnu's consort, and very dear to him.

Typically the mantra is chanted using a set of beads (a mala) for 108 times. If you want to do more than one round, you reverse the beads and start again, never cross the large center (guru or meru) bead.

Quote:
And I'd like to ask, if I chant for a while a mantra and after that start chanting another one, might this be non-healthy energy mixing ?

Thanks. :)

Some people do chant different mantras for different deities for different results. For example, for financial aid, one might chant Goddess Lakshmi's mantra; for success in school, one might chant Goddess Saraswati's mantra.

But as a rule, it's best to not jump from mantra to mantra. It's said that using a particular mala for a particular deity mantra energizes the mala for that mantra. So yeah, it could be confusing.

I hope that helps and doesn't confuse you.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:48 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jainarayan
This is a pretty good primer on mantra and mantra japa (mantra repetition). https://www.rudraksham.com/SagunaMantra1.aspx

Typically one chants the name of the deity whom they are drawn to (naama japa). Any deity's name can be used for chanting. Mantras with odd looking syllables...kreem, hreem, aim, gam, etc. are called beeja mantras. They should only be used when given by a guru. Sound is energy; if untrained, the person may get results they didn't expect. For example, Maa Kali. She is very energetic and fierce. To chant her beeja mantra might get her a little too frenzied.

The format of naama mantras are typically om sri [deity name] namaha. The name is in the dative case, meaning "to/for". E.g. om sri krishnaaya namah = "Reverence/obeisance to Lord Krishna"; om sri ganeshaaya (or ganapataye) namah = "Reverence/obeisance to Lord Ganesha"; and so on. The 2nd page of the article I linked to gives a list of deity naama mantras. Of course, one can chant the plain name of the deity. Invoking the name is invoking the deity, because the name is non-different from the deity.

Btw, writers often provide the most horrible transliterations and pronunciations. When you see -yai at the end of a goddess's name it is pronounced like the yi in "yikes" or "eye", not yay or say. "aa" or ā is like in father.

My own mantra is as in my signature oṃ namo bhagavate vāsudevāya, "Prostrations to the Lord God, Vasudeva (Krishna, avatar of Vishnu)". I use a tulsi mala because the tulsi plant is an incarnation of Goddess Lakshmi, Vishnu's consort, and very dear to him.

Typically the mantra is chanted using a set of beads (a mala) for 108 times. If you want to do more than one round, you reverse the beads and start again, never cross the large center (guru or meru) bead.

Some people do chant different mantras for different deities for different results. For example, for financial aid, one might chant Goddess Lakshmi's mantra; for success in school, one might chant Goddess Saraswati's mantra.

But as a rule, it's best to not jump from mantra to mantra. It's said that using a particular mala for a particular deity mantra energizes the mala for that mantra. So yeah, it could be confusing.

I hope that helps and doesn't confuse you.

Namaste,
what you wrote is very useful. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:01 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalsun
Namaste,
what you wrote is very useful. Thanks.

You are welcome.