Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Hypnosis

Old 05-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Psychotheosophy

Repressed Memories

Repression is unconsciously trying to forget a memory, often due to extreme anxiety (which may also take the form of apathy).

Some say that the desire for happiness over unhappiness,
Has been repressed or inhibited in some way.

Others say that knowing that we are God,

So, with hypnosis,
How do you remember what has been repressed,
Without inaccurate information, false memories, or confabulation (fact and fantasy combined)?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Krishna-prem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotheosophy
Repression is unconsciously trying to forget a memory, often due to extreme anxiety (which may also take the form of apathy).

Some say that the desire for happiness over unhappiness,

Others say that knowing that we are God,

So, with hypnosis,
How do you remember what has been repressed,
Without inaccurate information, false memories, or confabulation (fact and fantasy combined)?

Hi Psychotheosophy,

It may be useful to understand how memory works in the mind. Memory is found in our vast interconnected neural networks. Everything we experience moves through various types of awareness, memory, and encoding. At the base level we have the short term memory that is strongly supported by our conscious mind. This is like if you've ever tried to memorize something like a phone a number. The information first goes through short term memory. if you don't do anything with it beyond there then the information will eventually dissipate. That phone number you were memorizing- after you put it in your mobile there is no need to remember it anymore so one of two things happens. You either have already moved it to long term memory or you have forgotten it.

Now when you're talking about repressed memories, your referring to information that is encoded in long term memory. When information becomes encoded in our memory it is not recorded like a video camera documenting everything that happens. It is encoded through neural connections that rely on association. So in reality you never remember things how they actually happened. Instead you recall your own mental representation of things based on the network of associations that is lit up when you go searching for the information.

Repression is a way through which the mind keeps consciousness from accessing particular information. When this happens naturally it is most often a protective mechanism. The information/ associations tied up in the memory event pose some particular threat to a person therefore the unconscious mind has safely moved it somewhere else.

When we do things in hypnosis like regressions to unlock those consciously forgotten memories it doesn't matter at all if the event actually happened the way it is remembered or if it even happened at all. Instead what we are looking for is the trigger point in the person's emotional experience. As long as whatever images and story they pull up gives them the emotional release and clears up the problem it makes zero difference if it actually happened.

You can use hypnosis to induce hypernesia which is heightened recall. Forensic hypnotists do this. In these cases they aren't going after repressed info though, they are looking for more detail in the individual's experience.

Research suggests that hypernesia through hypnosis does in fact improve recall. However, as far as I know, there has not been extensive objective research done on the "accuracy" of recovered memories. And as I said, from the therapy stand point, it makes little difference either way.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Psychotheosophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna-prem
if you don't do anything with it beyond there then the information will eventually dissipate.
Maybe this is true.

Double Bind is a false choice,
False because both choices lead to unhappiness,
Interrelated because rejecting one means choosing the other,
And a trap for self-blame because you chose something that made you unhappy,
While unaware of the fact that you were forced into the double bind by circumstances.

But if you have been tricked and feel ashamed, then repent and trust in God's mercy.

Because self-blame leads to feelings of helplessness (and apathy),
And eventually you forget about trying to be happy,
Leaving you vulnerable to the direction of others,
Who may not guide you in your best interests,
Regardless of how kind they may appear.

A double bind is like a coffin buried in the earth.
You enter or leave the coffin, but not on your own power.
But if you awaken, leaving begins with your inherent desire to be happy.

We choose according to what makes us happy, so real freedom is found in happiness itself.
If you believe that happiness is not above each choice itself, then you are trapped.
But if you know that you are choosing happiness itself over the double bind,
Then you are freed from the trap of self-blame.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Psychotheosophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna-Prem
if you don't do anything with it beyond there then the information will eventually dissipate.

Actually,
Regarding repression,
Guilt can maintain symptoms like amnesia,
So the experience of guilt never actually disappears,
Even if the repressed person believes that they are not feeling any guilt.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Master
All I can say is, I like the clarity with which you write of these things, Psychotheosophy. A big ty~*

Old 07-06-2011, 03:15 AM
Krishna-prem

I am very curious, when will you let go of the self blame and guilt you have been carrying?
Old 07-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Hez0405

Hmm, the way I see it. If something happened that is really traumatic your mind sorta steps in and decides NO you cant know this.
Its annoying when you want to know what happened but cant.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Medium_Laura

I believe if you are meant to know it (for your greatest good) you will. Whether it's through hypnosis or some sort of Deja vu'. If it isn't good for your lessons in this life, the reason it is repressed may be a blessing for now. It will resurface when you can handle and deal with it.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Psychotheosophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotheosophy
Actually,
Regarding repression,
Guilt can maintain symptoms like amnesia,
So the experience of guilt never actually disappears,
Even if the repressed person believes that they are not feeling any guilt.
So, it is possible for anybody to repress their conscience.

I recently read about a phenomena called, "Stockholm Amnesia."
Here, victims of abuse identify themselves with their abusers, and so, they defend them.
It can be found in cases of family violence, certain cults, religions, and non-religious groups.

Abusers can secretly implements coercive double binds,
While encouraging the victims to see the abusers,
As trustworthy (such as predicting the future),
Knowledgeable, and similar.

This serves as a deterrent to conscientious objection in opposing the abuse.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Medium_Laura

Usually victims of abuse feel that the abuse is their fault. I can see how victims would rather love them and defend them, etc. Abusers will always put the blame on others "You made me hit you... I didn't want to.... why can't you just do what I say?"

Don't people do that every day in romantic relationships? Even parental abuse as well.
Tons of men and women are abused by people they love and then they dismiss it as "well I deserve it". They don't view it as abuse so much as "necessary punishment" for their inadequacy.

This is a lot of what I deal with being a life coach. Helping people, repressed or not, deal with the abuse and how it isn't their fault.