Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 24-01-2012, 01:18 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflow
I don't think Jesus was very concerned about 1st and last days of the week. What is time to the timeless?
Yes, he may have observed the Sabbath day because that was their tradition, but he certainly didn't make anything of the first day, Sunday, that day was made by the Roman church many years later.
Old 24-01-2012, 01:41 AM
Mayflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
Yes, he may have observed the Sabbath day because that was their tradition, but he certainly didn't make anything of the first day, Sunday, that day was made by the Roman church many years later.

I believe was also quoted as saying that the Sabbath was created for mankind, and not man for the Sabbath. Like if someone was hurt on the Sabbath, you would help them. Jesus was a shepherd of men, and a fisherman of souls. He broke a lot of rules.
Old 24-01-2012, 01:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflow
I believe was also quoted as saying that the Sabbath was created for mankind, and not man for the Sabbath. Like if someone was hurt on the Sabbath, you would help them. Jesus was a shepherd of men, and a fisherman of souls. He broke a lot of rules.
Yes, that's the Jesus that I like, but then if you read the old testament, you were stoned to death from not keeping the Sabbath, the Jews are still obsessed with the Sabbath till this day, some even have their toilet paper ready, so they wont have to pull it of the roll, its folded there for them.
Old 24-01-2012, 02:40 AM
Mayflow

Quote:
Yes, that's the Jesus that I like, but then if you read the old testament, you were stoned to death from not keeping the Sabbath, the Jews are still obsessed with the Sabbath till this day, some even have their toilet paper ready, so they wont have to pull it of the roll, its folded there for them.

We apparently like the same Jesus.
Old 24-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Cano

Quote:

Ask someone from Judaism why they don't enforce all the Levitical laws anymore. The answer is, they naturally gravitated away from those more barbaric laws of ancient times because they were man made whereas the commands of God, the ways of God don't change.

Cano
Old 06-02-2012, 11:01 AM
michaelsherlock

the wise Philosopher Porphyry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrats
A poster on another board, the topic of which was questioning the authenticity of the last 12 verses in the book of Mark, wrote that it doesn’t really matter because there is no doctrinal teaching in Mark 16:9-20 that cannot be proved elsewhere in agreed Scripture.

I made the mistake of sticking my nose into the discussion by pointing out that actually there is a statement in verse 9, as the KJV and similar versions have it, that is used for a doctrinal teaching that is to be found nowhere else in Scripture. As the KJV translates it, it is the only place that puts the resurrection on the first day of the week. I then suggested that whenever the discussion of seventh day observance versus first day observance comes up, it has generally been my experience that first day proponents many times use the idea of a first day resurrection to justify the change of observance from the seventh day to the first day, and when questioned about the day of resurrection, frequently quote Mark 16:9. The poster came back with: “Quote a published author who has done that.” - I have not yet been able to come up with one. Does anyone here know of one?

The wise philosopher Porphyry made an extremely humorous and inspired remark regarding the final verses of Mark, now known to be forged, he said;

“In another passage Jesus says: These signs shall witness to those who believe: they shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover. And if they drink any deadly drug, it will hurt them in no way." Well then: the proper thing to do would be to use this process as a test for those aspiring to be priests, bishops or church officers. A deadly drug should be put in front of them and [only] those who survive drinking it should be elevated in the ranks [of the church].
If there are those who refuse to submit to such a test, they may as well admit that they do not believe in the things that Jesus said. For if it is a doctrine of [Christian] faith that men can survive being poisoned or heal the sick at will, then the believer who does not do such things either does not believe them, or else believes them so feebly that he may as well not believe them.”

Also, a few years ago I was having dinner with my wife’s parents and some of their Christian friends, when one of them began praying over his meal, asking the Lord to cleanse it of any poisons. The first thing that struck me as both strange and a little unsettling was the question of who, among his close Christian friends would try to poison his meal? Did he know something about these people that I didn’t? I also found it humorous that he failed to pray for all of our meals, instead preferring to use this powerful magic to protect only himself! What if my meal had been the only one that was poisoned and this “divine prophet” neglected to pray for my poisoned food?! During the meal I asked him if he believed that by praying he could cleanse his meal of any poison. To which he confidently responded; “I don’t believe, I know!” At that point I felt tempted to put his little theory to the test, but my lack of faith prevented me from doing so and more than likely spared his life!
Old 06-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Knower

Since it has again been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in will know of an author.
Old 14-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Knower

**Anyone?**
Old 24-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Knower

Perhaps someone new looking in will know of an author.
Old 24-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Mayflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrats
Perhaps someone new looking in will know of an author.

Well if you mean the author of your posts, it is probably you yourself, although I have no idea what you are carrying on about at all.