Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 23-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Deactivated Account
I understand how you feel. I've experienced vegan groups as very cult-ish and they really put me off. I got attacked simply by commenting I didn't like a particular receipe someone had posted. I saw lots of others being attacked for asking questions about eating eggs from their own hens and many other things. It is very sad that many people can't support others in their choices but a label becomes an identity for some and with that identity comes a negative comparison with anything that isn't defined as part of that particular identity. There is a lot of fear in that mindset, hence the hate so prevalent.

I eat a mostly vegan diet, but don't label myself really. I have ongoing health issues so occasionally I eat fish or eggs albeit the best I can find. Not ideal but that's the way it is. I'm doing my bit and that's all any of us can do really, label or no label.
Old 26-04-2016, 09:18 AM
Seeker

For those who avoid eating animals on moral grounds...I think as long as we can look at the differences between a vegan and a vegetarian diet and acknowledge our imperfection in knowingly supporting unwanted death (and, before you jump, I'm a vegetarian), that's SO much better than blundering on defensively and in ignorance. We are all flawed and must do our best, as our morals and circumstances dictate.
I can clearly see that veganism, plant-based diet, call it what you will, is the way forward, and I am most certainly making efforts to attain to that. However, at the moment I'm vegetarian.
Old 26-04-2016, 10:04 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by karma-free-life
I can clearly see that veganism, plant-based diet, call it what you will, is the way forward, and I am most certainly making efforts to attain to that. However, at the moment I'm vegetarian.

Hang in there buddy. You will get there. When you discover more and more delicious vegan recipes it will get easier and easier.
Old 26-04-2016, 11:25 AM
Seeker

Hey, many thanks for the encouragement, MB!
Old 04-06-2016, 08:39 PM
Pathfinder

I don't like the label. I follow a cruelty free diet. If it causes harm or death to another living being I don't eat it. My wife used to say "But what are we going to eat?" You would be surprised. We have a great, gluten free, cruelty free diet. Lots of variety, lots of very tasty and healthy foods. You just have to do research and it takes time to find what you enjoy. Eating out is sometimes difficult, but Mexican places work great. Soft corn tacos w/ rice, beans, salsa, guacamole, and other veggies served w/ chips and spiced w/ a good hot sauce.....mmmmmm!
Old 05-06-2016, 09:16 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by row37
I don't like the label. I follow a cruelty free diet. If it causes harm or death to another living being I don't eat it. My wife used to say "But what are we going to eat?" You would be surprised. We have a great, gluten free, cruelty free diet. Lots of variety, lots of very tasty and healthy foods. You just have to do research and it takes time to find what you enjoy. Eating out is sometimes difficult, but Mexican places work great. Soft corn tacos w/ rice, beans, salsa, guacamole, and other veggies served w/ chips and spiced w/ a good hot sauce.....mmmmmm!

I don't think it's accurate to call plant-based diets "cruelty-free." Because the society we live in values profit more than caring for the Earth, virtually no industry is blameless.

For instance, farmers of corn and soy do not let the ground lie fallow, because if they did they would not make enough money to make ends meet. (Farmers are pretty poor, the corporations that own their seeds and equipment are not.) So they have to plant those crops year after year, sometimes rotating them. The result is that the soil gets depleted, and they have to apply nitrates and other chemicals in order to get plants to grow again. These chemicals wash into the river, where they can harm humans and wildlife. Is it still right to say my tofu is "cruelty-free?"

Another thing: In my state, the fruit industry is very prominent, but a disturbing percentage of workers are child laborers, and the ones that are adults are often cheated out of wages and abused. Is it still right to say my smoothie is "cruelty-free?"

Food for thought... (pun not intended)
Old 08-06-2016, 07:30 PM
Seeker

It certainly is a case of just doing the best you can!
I remember when our son was young and we went through the trauma of whether we used washable nappies or disposables! When you start factoring in the chemicals for washing, the energy for drying in winter, the things you need to buy for nappy rash that's partially caused by washables, the increased frequency you have to change a towel nappy, and the sweaty plastic rubbers you buy to 'prevent' leakage!
Ultimately, you make your best 'informed' call and it's the spirit of your intentions that count! We can only do our best! ����
Old 17-06-2016, 10:51 AM
Guide
Location: Beyond this illusion some where between Finding God and helping others
Vegans, at least, are more of a movement against violence, so they call themselves vegans for the same reason some call themselves "activists"
Its all about emotional relation i think, people want to fit in, and you can't fit in with out making some status quo....
That being said, I have no issue with groups and fun... as long as its not hurting any one.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:26 AM
Seeker

Being as the thread has taken this little twist, I'd like to put forward my own thoughts about simply doing our best; doing our level best to eat and tread gently on this planet. Go easy on me, my heart's in this!

http://karma-free-life.com/food/
Old 05-07-2016, 02:02 PM
Newbie ;)
Seeker

I don't label myself either. I just don't like it, it doesn't feel right, I don't know why so many people like to call themselves "vegans"...