Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 20-08-2016, 02:12 PM
Seeker

I'm a fairly new vegetarian I did it in the past for about a month but I feel now this is going to be permanent for me. Its kinda weird because I just started getting grossed out by meat out of the blue. I'm not eating as much either and I haven't lost any weight. I think its because I started doing yoga as well.
Old 26-08-2016, 09:48 PM
Burntfruit

I am glad there are new veggies starting. :)
Old 28-08-2016, 11:00 AM
Experiencer
When you change from a regular diet to a vegetarian or vegan diet your body does need to adjust. The micro organisms in your guts have to build up a new balance. You need different bacteries for digesting meat then for veggies.

I changed very slow from regular to vegetarian. It took me at least a year. And after being vegetarian for one or two years or so I moved on to vegan. That is probably why I didn't experience any problems in my body.

The health benefits were very obvious for me but I also had a lot of work in changing my perception about plant based food. I used to see it as kind of inferior in several ways. So with such perceptions it's more difficult to make the change.

I am very happy that I persisted though. My health and well being have both improved.

Scientific research supports the notion that plant based food increases your well being.
Old 28-08-2016, 06:07 PM
Experiencer
Here is a study on The Health Advantage of a Vegan Diet: Exploring the Gut Microbiota Connection

There are more interesting articles on vegan and vegetarian diets overthere, like: Comparison of nutritional quality of the vegan, vegetarian, semi-vegetarian, pesco-vegetarian and omnivorous diet.

So you really do yourself a favor when you switch to a vegetarian or vegan diet.
Old 28-08-2016, 09:19 PM
Pathfinder
what did u eat as a vegan???
u should have a look at Dr mcdougall he has lots of great info on vegan diets..
U may have been eating too many raw veggies, not combining ur food properly or may need some probiotics!
I have only ever had health benefits of a vegan diet, and eat a mostly high carb, low fat vegan diet.. keep the processed foods low... too many vegan meats and cheeses can be hard on your body!

Feel free to ask more info!

:)
Old 28-08-2016, 10:10 PM
Burntfruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella91
what did u eat as a vegan???
u should have a look at Dr mcdougall he has lots of great info on vegan diets..
U may have been eating too many raw veggies, not combining ur food properly or may need some probiotics!
I have only ever had health benefits of a vegan diet, and eat a mostly high carb, low fat vegan diet.. keep the processed foods low... too many vegan meats and cheeses can be hard on your body!

Feel free to ask more info!

:)
I was actually following mcdougall. I was doing a variant of the starch solution. But really, I changed too quickly, and I still had lots of bad habits ingrained in my system.

I am taking it slow now, and feel a lot happier.

I feel bad, that I have had failures in the past. But I want to keep going. Its my own fault I know all the benefits.

Thanks for helping me.
Old 28-08-2016, 10:11 PM
Burntfruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogenblue
When you change from a regular diet to a vegetarian or vegan diet your body does need to adjust. The micro organisms in your guts have to build up a new balance. You need different bacteries for digesting meat then for veggies.

I changed very slow from regular to vegetarian. It took me at least a year. And after being vegetarian for one or two years or so I moved on to vegan. That is probably why I didn't experience any problems in my body.

The health benefits were very obvious for me but I also had a lot of work in changing my perception about plant based food. I used to see it as kind of inferior in several ways. So with such perceptions it's more difficult to make the change.

I am very happy that I persisted though. My health and well being have both improved.

Scientific research supports the notion that plant based food increases your well being.

Thanks for the link. I will have a look at it.

Your transition as you described sounds good. I need to take my time.
Old 29-08-2016, 07:03 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntfruit
But really, I changed too quickly, and I still had lots of bad habits ingrained in my system.

Those old habits will not give up so easily.

What worked for me was talking to them over and over. Be gentle to them, because after all you are still talking to yourself and you will harvest what you sow. So be gentle and hush them to sleep.
There are times they don't want to go to sleep at all and are very naggy and so. Then just take your time and know it's not over yet. Point them to the benefits you have from your new diet.

If you continue on your path eventually it has to disappear because it doesn't get any new energy anymore. So you are effectively wearing it out over time.
Those old habits understand that too, because it is yourself, but the habits don't have a choice. You do. You are the boss.

You can do it. And I know that over time your veggie food will taste just as good as it does to me now. And that you will feel just as good as I do now.
Old 29-08-2016, 04:57 PM
Seeker

Just popping back to say, hey and how is it going?

Menu planning works well for me. I have gotten rid of the freezer so everything is fresh. It helps that my son is vegetarian although my daughter and husband are not.

I base every meal around vegetables as a main - either a bunch of different, steamed veg that people can help themselves to, or the same veg that will go in different dishes. Then adapt around people tastes. For example this week has been;

Steamed veg with mushroom risotto for two + Steamed veg with sausage and Yorkshire puddings for two (and gravy).
Lentil Dahl with naan bread and steamed veg (this was new for the children so they would at least eat plain veg and naan bread even if they stared at the Dahl like it was poison).
Vegetable korma with naan bread
Traditional roast dinner for all with one chicken breast for two people (my daughter is only 5yrs old so she doesn't eat a full chicken breast by herself and I made traditional stuffing with sausage and herbs too, plus a vegetarian nut stuffing).
Pasta and homemade tomato & herb sauce with steamed veg for three (my daughter had steamed veg, Yorkshire puddings and gravy because she hates pasta right now).
Jacket potatoes with various toppings.
Vegetable pizza on homemade base (one day I will try a cauliflower base).

I have slipped up eating out. My husband took me to a grill restaurant where I ordered fish. We took the children out to a theme park for the day and did the 'ooooh, I'm so hungry' drive home with hungry children in the back so we called into the first place we saw on the drive home that served food the children would eat. But I'm so long as I'm on track at home, I'll slowly get into the mindset of not eating meat and start looking at the menus vegetarian options automatically.

My son is going through food allergy and celiac etc testing as he gets really bad colitis after eating. We've found its better if I just prepare and cook everything myself, so no pre-made sauces etc just because they make him worse.
Old 20-09-2016, 10:24 AM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlswan
I've been a vegetarian for quite some weeks now, or maybe around a month. I don't know, but anyways, I feel SO much better! Ever since that my body feels a lot healthier, lighter, and just... I guess I just feel really good. And not even once I had problems though. But maybe that's because I don't really eat red meat that much before since the first place. If you used to eat a lot of them, then maybe your body might get shocked a bit.
It's a shock in a begining, but I agree to EVERY word, you feel great! Your body is light, your head is clear, I mean, for me this style of life changed everything!