Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 19-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Master
What brought you to Buddhism?

Faith being a deeply personal subject for most; each of us arriving at our own belief system in a different manner, I am interested to know what brought you to Buddhism. Weather you are devout or just passing through, how did you know this was for you? What in the teachings resonated with you most?
Old 19-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Master
First it was Eastern thought and with that my journey began with Hinduism...that is until I read a line that said life is one big game....lol
Buddhism followed and I found myself interested in The Buddha's life and pursuit to understand suffering. From there over the years I began to grasp what I read about buddhism but not immediately. I look at that now as that I grasped only what 'they' grasped. It didn't mean there was something to grasp, such as 'truth'.
If I had to pick a religion it would be Buddhism but I am not a buddhist.
There is much about it that I think serves life very well.
James
Old 19-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Master
So, you are a bit of a wanderer like myself? I can respect that.
Old 19-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Master
Ha! I learn from multiple directions. Maybe someday I'll make a new religion that combines them all....lol
Old 23-07-2011, 06:26 AM
Student4Life1975

a religion that combines them all....mankind..
Old 19-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Master
I am all for people finding their own path. Perhaps you could just share your experiences in a book to help others along their paths. I know someone who did that. It is such a beautiful book too.
Old 20-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by 002 Cents
I am all for people finding their own path. Perhaps you could just share your experiences in a book to help others along their paths. I know someone who did that. It is such a beautiful book too.

The thing there is I'm not convinced it was a "path" as much as I am convinced it was a "need".
James
Old 20-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Student4Life1975

the neutrality that comes with it. i like the idea of not committing to anything, because once you do, inherantly as a result, you define everything else as seperate. and that closes your mind somewhat.

plus i like a god that has a pot belly, it reflects inperfection, which is a integral part of life...
Old 20-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student4Life1975
the neutrality that comes with it. i like the idea of not committing to anything, because once you do, inherantly as a result, you define everything else as seperate. and that closes your mind somewhat.

plus i like a god that has a pot belly, it reflects inperfection, which is a integral part of life...

Love that belly to! The thing is, which I realized later on.........Buddha figures take on many forms. That one is called the happy Buddha.
Old 20-07-2011, 12:55 PM
earthy

plus i like a god that has a pot belly, it reflects inperfection, which is a integral part of life...[/quote]

I studied Buddhism as a part of my yoga training and have been studying it ever since.

Student4Life, Buddha was not/is not a God, Buddha was an ordinary person (well, okay a Prince) who attained enlightment under a fig tree. There have been many Buddha's since, but none of which are Gods.