Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 02:21 PM
shepherd

Guru Trap

You can see it here on this forum so I thought would point something out which I call the Guru Trap.

They use abstract concepts to lift themselves above others.

Here are some:

Unconditional Love
Cosmic Unity
enlightement
complete surrender
free of judgement
and of course.....true self

They will try to disarm anyone who questions these abstract concepts by telling them that A) they come from ego and B) they will only understand it when they experience it.

"what is unconditional love?" someone may ask.
"That I love you despite asking such an ego bound question." could be their reply.

They are very clever in just referring to ego or your lack of wisdom, understanding and knowledge if you disagree, challenge, or ask questions. They avoid answering the question which more questions and avoid answering altogether. They promote ways of living which our minds are not designed to and will often say they have reached these levels yet their behaviours will suggest otherwise. Its also a way of them being able to look down upon you and for you to try and raise yourself up by trying to be an abstract concept which of course....ain't going to happen which keeps the guru nicely above you and you still spending your energy trying to reach levels that cannot be reached.

The scary part is that they will use the abstract concepts to justify what happens in the world and will label you as egoic, caught up in the illusion, not enlightened enough to understand.

Be the observer and not the student or believer of people like this and watch their behaviour as they will show their true colours.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Master
I hear ya but for me personally, it is not an issue to become trapped by anyones words. It just isn't.
Not because I am beyond such a thing but because I don't believe the situation exists.
I believe that when/if we get sucked in, we usually needed to and we usually find our way out with the added benefit of not ever being sucked into a particular trap again.
In other words we are drawn to what we need, even if it is to see that we don't need it.
That is a description of how my life has gone anyways.
just my thoughts..............james
Old 06-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd
You can see it here on this forum so I thought would point something out which I call the Guru Trap.

They use abstract concepts to lift themselves above others.

Here are some:

Unconditional Love
Cosmic Unity
enlightement
complete surrender
free of judgement
and of course.....true self

They will try to disarm anyone who questions these abstract concepts by telling them that A) they come from ego and B) they will only understand it when they experience it.

"what is unconditional love?" someone may ask.
"That I love you despite asking such an ego bound question." could be their reply.

They are very clever in just referring to ego or your lack of wisdom, understanding and knowledge if you disagree, challenge, or ask questions. They avoid answering the question which more questions and avoid answering altogether. They promote ways of living which our minds are not designed to and will often say they have reached these levels yet their behaviours will suggest otherwise. Its also a way of them being able to look down upon you and for you to try and raise yourself up by trying to be an abstract concept which of course....ain't going to happen which keeps the guru nicely above you and you still spending your energy trying to reach levels that cannot be reached.

The scary part is that they will use the abstract concepts to justify what happens in the world and will label you as egoic, caught up in the illusion, not enlightened enough to understand.

Be the observer and not the student or believer of people like this and watch their behaviour as they will show their true colours.

So it seems ...
Old 06-01-2011, 02:50 PM
shepherd

Quote:
I hear ya but for me personally, it is not an issue to become trapped by anyones words. It just isn't.
Not because I am beyond such a thing but because I don't believe the situation exists.
I believe that when/if we get sucked in, we usually needed to and we usually find our way out with the added benefit of not ever being sucked into a particular trap again.
In other words we are drawn to what we need, even if it is to see that we don't need it.
That is a description of how my life has gone anyways.
just my thoughts..............james

If that's what worked for you then fabulous. The thread just draws attention to people who may be caught up in something they don't need to be part of. It just provides another perspective to explore or not.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Suspended
Quote:

Hiya Shepherd and all

The above in bold used to have me stomping around the house tearing my hair out when I read it. I was so frustrated and angry.

Now I tend to smile and roll my eyes a little. As I see it, these 'gurus' have their heads stuck so far up their own backsides, they are blinded by their own excrement.

Squatch
Old 06-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Kapitan_Prien

Quote:
Squatch: As I see it, these 'gurus' have their heads stuck so far up their own backsides, they are blinded by their own excrement.

...hee hee

Love the Opening Post Shepherd...you state many reasons why I really don't talk about things anymore here...or on any spiritual board/group, etc.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Master
Quote:
If that's what worked for you then fabulous. The thread just draws attention to people who may be caught up in something they don't need to be part of. It just provides another perspective to explore or not.

I understand. The thread is a good one IMO.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:04 PM
shepherd

Quote:
Now I tend to smile and roll my eyes a little. As I see it, these 'gurus' have their heads stuck so far up their own backsides, they are blinded by their own excrement.

I don't often laugh out loud but this made me roar!
Old 06-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatchit
Hiya Shepherd and all

The above in bold used to have me stomping around the house tearing my hair out when I read it. I was so frustrated and angry.

Squatch

(Cracking up! )

For what it is worth, I don't think people do and say these things to be or sound superior, in general, consciously.
That understanding allows me to be somewhat understanding.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteShaman

For what it is worth, I don't think people do and say these things to be or sound superior, in general, consciously.
That understanding allows me to be somewhat understanding.
Yeah I can dig that ... and I guess what also needs to be highlighted is that in the process of drawing attention to what 'seems to be so' that folk don't actually reinforce what is being questioned ... it seems like there is more occurring than what there actually is and what is occurring for one is often occurring for most others ... we are all constantly making realizations however large or small ... how challenging a thread would be if stipulated that we only use the word 'I' to describe our experience ...