Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Astrology > Astronomy

Old 15-06-2015, 04:18 AM
Norwegian Wood

How is this anywhere near similar to Astrology?

An actual science being subtopic to the mass cultural delusion pseudoscience known as astrology? What?

One is an actual study that revolves around substantial scientific evidence and the other triggers teenage girls to believe that the universe is talking to them.
Old 17-06-2015, 07:47 AM
Olorin

I'm afraid that some people cannot tell the difference.
Old 17-06-2015, 02:55 PM
Everly

Yeah, this has bothered me since I joined. Two entirely different things. Both valid, but very different. Astronomy is not similar to astrology at all.

(And btw, Norwegian Wood, while I agree about the astronomy thing, it seems that even you don't understand astrology.)
Old 27-03-2016, 03:34 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everly
Yeah, this has bothered me since I joined. Two entirely different things. Both valid, but very different. Astronomy is not similar to astrology at all.

I share the same sentiments...

Over the years I've found myself naturally distancing myself from Astrology, however I am very fascinated with Astronomy....Two completely different fields for sure...

Perhaps the Moderator and/or Admin team may consider shuffling this subforum to it's own area of the forum instead of here in Astrology?

The reason I suggest this is some people may have a deep interest in Astronomy but not Astrology and may miss this forum at first glance because it's tucked inside the Astrology forum and may not bother to look further for the Astronomy forum...(even though you can see the forum name under "Astrology" I feel as if some people may pass over it...)

Just some thoughts...

:)

Last edited by Somnia : 27-03-2016 at 04:47 AM.
Old 24-07-2015, 12:06 AM
Pathfinder

Astronomy is science, Astrology is spiritual.
Old 19-03-2016, 04:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegian Wood
An actual science being subtopic to the mass cultural delusion pseudoscience known as astrology? What?

One is an actual study that revolves around substantial scientific evidence and the other triggers teenage girls to believe that the universe is talking to them.

Hey NW. Well, you're speaking of strictly modern interpretation. The question is, does the original intended interpretion matter, and have relevance? Rather than the modern interpretation with it's pagan origins?

Look up Adrian Gilbert's book, "Signs in the Sky".

Example, the age of Aquarious is supposed to usher in goodness, Light, and enlightenment.
In one story in the Gospels, when preparing for the location of the last supper, Jesus sends the two disciples to find a man carrying a water pot, and tell him that the master is ready to partake of the Passover meal with them.

What is the original interpretation of the Zodiac, and its original intended interpretation?

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 20-03-2016, 05:10 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegian Wood
the mass cultural delusion pseudoscience known as astrology ... triggers teenage girls to believe that the universe is talking to them.
When I was at university, I was taught that science involves studying the evidence before reaching a conclusion! That's why I tested astrological techniques for many years, accepting some and rejecting others. One test of a valid discipline is that different people get the same results, which certainly happens in astrology.

The forecasts in newspapers are not real astrology. In fact, some of those columns are just made up by journalists. Years ago, a study of their accuracy was made which revealed that the did not better than chance, and that study was made by a group of skeptical astrologers.

As for the "Age of Aquarius", that's New Age woo. For the history of the zodiac, see my article at
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/sidereal.html
The best dismissal of the "Great Year" is in the book with that title by the astrologer Nicholas Campion.
Old 14-04-2016, 05:57 PM
Seeker

A couple of points, the actual astrology system is not based on either the Gregorian (present calendar system) or the Julian system.

Thus the system is flawed to begin with, astronomy is based on a lunar calendar system.

When adjusted to the Gregorian calendar a new sign had to be added, Ophiuchus.

As far as astrology being a science, it was astronomy that was used as a basis for astrology. The idea came about due to the observation that people born at different part of the year seemed to have different personalities. This was interpreted as the various constellations and planets having an influence on the person at birth.

Thus, astrology was based on what was at the time, the science of observation.

As far as divination, I dont believe anything can predict the future, although I do believe that there are outside influences that determine what is going on in one's life.

Just as a full moon seems to affect criminal behavior and how busy an ER is going to be, I feel the stars and planets have some influence on an individual at some level.
Old 15-04-2016, 05:49 AM
Seeker

Start with astronomy and it can lead you into cosmology, multiverses, spacetime, time travel, quantum physics etc.

Astronomy should be up there as a top level category.
Old 29-05-2016, 06:27 AM
Pathfinder
Way before your scientific astronomy .. they named the sky's.

Astrology dealt with the clock .. the clockwise and counter clockwise of the universe.

There is a Spiritual stake .. which science attempts to rid ..

There are many Story's .. Oral .. which each Tribe dealt .. a long time before your certainty. Even though you have to notice .. the light from the closest star is billions of years old.

Then like MeditationEye says, you are led into all these other .. presence's.