Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 21-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna-prem
The Vedas are the only scripture that I know of that accurately date the age of the universe as well as the planet. They also speak of land formations such as the Sarasvati River which scientists only found within the last two decades thanks to the use of satellites.
The Nyaya Dharshana lays out the first ever atomic theory.
Both Kurukshetra and Dvarka have been uncovered by archaeologists.
Of course people had memories of old rivers and flooded cities. How is that surprising? As for the age, it is not the exact same age.. but yes, interesting nonetheless! :>

There are many dating methods. C14 is only one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna-prem
Science is not written in stone. It is evolving, adapting, and developing as we continue to uncover the mysteries of the universe.
Agreed. And along the way we find some truths. But I don't think we will ever understand the full picture though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna=prem
I'm not saying that anyone here should believe one thing or an other. That is up to you and you have to find your own way. Just please don't refer to claims in the Vedas as outlandish. They may be outside your scope but they are not for those of us who hold the Vedas as divine wisdom.
But there are outlandish claims in the Hindu texts! ;)
Oceans of milk and ghee? Mountains and continents of gigantic proportions? Yes we can say it's just in 'another dimension' or 'not accessible through the senses'
but that is pretty poor reasoning IMO (not saying you do!). We can really come up with anything then. If I have the time I will look up the exact texts...
Old 21-06-2011, 04:05 PM
astroboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
I agree that humans cannot know THE truth. We can only know parts of reality.

I'm not sure if I understand your concept correctly but I see you bring out a different way of looking at historically written facts and that, I find interesting.
Old 21-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy
I'm not sure if I understand your concept correctly but I see you bring out a different way of looking at historically written facts and that I find interesting.
I was more talking about some sort of 'ultimate truth' of the universe. That which religions and guru's claim to know..
Old 21-06-2011, 04:35 PM
astroboy

Quote:
Mountains and continents of gigantic proportions? Yes we can say it's just in 'another dimension' or 'not accessible through the senses'
but that is pretty poor reasoning IMO

Please expand why you say poor reasoning.
Old 21-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Kismet

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy
Please expand why you say poor reasoning.

I think what Chris means is that you need more than just to say something is the case. You have to offer evidence for the claim.

Now, I'll be a little more evenhanded here and point out that the claim made by some Hindus does indeed stand a greater chance of being taken seriously since it is in the context of a faith tradition, authenticated as it were by scripture. But even then one has to ask: why should this scripture be considered true? Why should any scripture be considered true? And, further, we have to worry about that pesky principle of parsimony known commonly as Occam's Razor. Not to mention the fact that conceptions like oceans of wine, milk and ghee seem to have more in common with a fanciful artifice rather than any expected true rendering of the real.
Old 22-06-2011, 03:24 PM
astroboy

Quote:
Mountains and continents of gigantic proportions? Yes we can say it's just in 'another dimension' or 'not accessible through the senses'
but that is pretty poor reasoning IMO

Kismet,
Mountains and continents of gigantic proportions isn't a far fetched idea.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:36 PM
numerouno

The story of Noah's arc is a legend to all different people on this earth, in hinduism the kurma matsya incarnation comes to mind. This happened I think in the last kaliyuga before this one.

Evidence of the same incident found in scriptures, and for the most part followers of these scriptures (Hindus+ Christians) havnt got along on occassion yet they fail to see the common story of Noah is prevalent in both religions.

Evidence that proves gigantic mountains and lakes of wine and milk, aren't available, the reason for this is the failure of people to realize that this is the material world. Look around eveything consists of material energy!, be it you and I to inanimate objects are degrading.

We if we dnt die in an accident, murder, we will eventually die of old age. All things in this universe whether created by us by technology, or divine beings, consists of a impermanent enegy.

This fact of reality is the Reason why proof and evidence fails to be transferred as we like.

Who can remember what they ate for dinner last year this time?

So even if were to take all our knwledge and store it will fail because its dependent on the survival of the earth ultimately, but by scientific observation I have proved that everything in material enegy reaches a point of complete breakdown.
Old 16-09-2011, 02:06 AM
AwakeningtoSpirit

Quote:
The Hindu texts make many outlandish claims. According to some texts, the earth has mountains and continents of gigantic proportions..
Then you'll have the beliefs that the rain season is a 'demonic' time when Vishnu sleeps. And then there are the oceans of ghee, milk, and wine.

We have to understand that those people lived in a very different time and also thought that their subcontinent was the center of the world.
Why do you think the texts only speak about Indian animals and plants?

Of course religions will have a hard time accepting evolution as evolution shows us we are not the center of the world but just one part of nature. This goes against all the anthropocentrism that is prevalent in many religions, who make claims such as Gods looking like humans, humans being the only ones that can reach 'enlightenment' etc. And religions often neglect the natural world.
LOL, sounds like the Bible. My husband told me recently that it says in the Bible that before "Noah's flood" it never rained on earth, water only sprang up from the ground, and Yahwah brought the rain to wash away wickedness from the face of the earth...wow, the stories we tell ourselves