Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Islam Faith

Old 29-03-2016, 03:04 AM
Suspended
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 002 Cents
Societies determine the rights of its citizens, not faith.

What about societies run by religions? Societies under religious laws?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia

Take something simple, like what you are allowed to eat. Does your faith determine that or secular rights? There are no secular laws or rules that tell you what you can't eat as far as I know. Then items of clothing you must wear. That comes from religion as well. There is a conflict between rights you get from a culture you live in and what a religion tells you that you must do unless the religion is the government of the culture. So a society gives you rights. Then if you join a religion, you are under what they tell you is allowed or what you must do.
Old 29-03-2016, 06:11 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanWind
What about societies run by religions? Societies under religious laws?

You are awfully presumptuous to assume I am not familiar with Shariah law.

Societies where the rule of law is dictated by religion are called Theocracies.

In the case of Theocracies, Yes, this is still determined by society. It is society that allows those in power to hold their positions and govern the people. As is the case in Uganda where it is 85% Christian and Homosexuality is punishable by death.

This thread is not about defending Theocracy. That is not something you will ever see me do. No matter which faith is behind it.

We are at a place in time where you only need glance recent news to see evidence of how much power the people hold. The overthrow of Hosni Mubarak in Egypt. The overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi in Lybia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanWind
Take something simple, like what you are allowed to eat. Does your faith determine that or secular rights? There are no secular laws or rules that tell you what you can't eat as far as I know. Then items of clothing you must wear. That comes from religion as well. There is a conflict between rights you get from a culture you live in and what a religion tells you that you must do unless the religion is the government of the culture. So a society gives you rights. Then if you join a religion, you are under what they tell you is allowed or what you must do.

Indeed... we should have a conversation about this other religion you feel aided in women's rights and how well their followers obey what they are "allowed" to do under the governance of their faith...

... Perhaps... it comes down to the individual where societal laws are not preventing them from behaving one way or another? As certainly... even when there are societal laws preventing certain things... murder, theft... even when the faith is in agreeance, it doesn't insure the followers will uphold those values.

...Unless you mean to suggest that, "No Christian has ever...": disrespected their parents, taken the Lord's name in vain, committed adultery or gossiped?

As for dietary restrictions, when a person chooses to uphold them, I call that discipline. People commit to more bizarre dietary restrictions for worse reasons every day.

Here are...
"The 8 Worst Weight Loss Diets in History"

Let me give you some highlights

Quote:
The Nazi Diet ... Alex Siry ...the diet guru is telling Russians to eat 400 grams of bread and 100 grams of vodka per day, the same rations the Russian soldiers were given.

The Cabbage Soup Diet...

The Tapeworm Diet...

The Cigarette Diet...

The Flecherizing Diet... Horace Fletcher took your mom's wisdom to the next level by claiming that, in order to properly digest your food and lose weight, one had to chew all food (including liquids) at least 100 times before swallowing. He also advised people to not eat when upset and to only eat certain types of foods...

The Cookie Diet...

The Baby Food Diet...

The Breatharian Diet...

That was a fun read... Makes Atkins seem far more practical.

Last edited by 002 Cents : 29-03-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Old 29-03-2016, 08:01 AM
Suspended
Master

Quote:
Indeed... we should have a conversation about this other religion you feel aided in women's rights...

I don't think religions have ever aided in women's rights. Have they ever? I was talking about women having the same freedoms and rights as men. That did not come from a religion. These rights came from the women's rights movement in the nineteenth century and the feminist movement during the 20th century. These movements gave women the same rights and freedoms as men. But yea, some religions and some countries still don't treat women as equals to men.

Quote:
how well their followers obey what they are "allowed" to do under the governance of their faith...

I don't follow a religion. But I agree with you. I thought one main message of religions was unconditional love and peace and yet some religions have very violent histories. Seems like religions don't make all followers more loving or peaceful or non-judgmental and non-violent. But then, I have not studied a lot of religions so I don't even know what they tell followers to do or how to behave.
Old 30-03-2016, 06:56 PM
Master
The Artistry

As if the written language itself were not stunning enough

The way the Qur'an is written is like a literary Masterpiece.

Described in various places online as being written in "rhyming prose".

Making the content all the more mesmerizing.

Surah Al-Iklas

(the link above will provide you with a tool to hear the surah aloud as well)

http://quran411.com/surah-ikhlas.asp

Transliteration:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qur'an 411
  1. Qul huwal laahu ahad
  2. Allah hus-samad
  3. Lam yalid wa lam yoolad
  4. Wa lam yakul-lahu kufuwan ahad

In English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qur'an 411
  1. Say: He is Allah, the One and Only;
  2. Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;
  3. He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;
  4. And there is none like unto Him.

This rhyming lends itself to the surahs being sung aloud, as they do in Prayer.

Also, makes them easier to remember.
Old 19-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Master
The argument I am formulating in my mind in favor of following this path is as follows: the relationships we invest ourselves in should be cultivated to bring out the best in ourselves. In light of that realization, when I consider my relationship with God, dedicating myself through Islamic tradition makes a lot of sense.

It cultivates: discipline, modesty, humility, compassion, generosity, self confidence, respect for ones self and others... these are the things that most attract me to Islam. The things I would like to cultivate within myself.

That said... while my ideas revolving around this matter are good enough for me. I don't think they are good enough for the Islamic community at large and I struggle with that.

I don't want to be a poor example. But I am not perfect. It seems like I would be lying to say I fully embrace this knowing I am a terrible example of how a person should be in Islam.
Old 28-06-2016, 03:07 PM
Deactivated Account

Better understand the Koran first it will probably scare the hell out you. Once in you can never leave. It is a dead end to nowhere. God is not such a repressive, demanding and intolerant being as to require such a gloomy lifestyle.
One need not be religious to be Spiritual. A Wizard commands power to influence probabilities, stands between worlds with one foot on earth and the other in the heavens, is in tune with the Infinite, knows truth and is at peace with self and the Universe.
Old 28-06-2016, 11:38 PM
Master
Your opinions are your own. Obviously I don't feel that way about Islam or I wouldn't have created this post in the first place.
Old 29-06-2016, 05:56 PM
Deactivated Account

Take your time

I would recommend you not join anything prior to spending time doing in-depth research. Read and digest the Koran from cover to cover to be sure you agree with it's entire content and intent. Islam has not been so friendly to the Middle East for thousands of years. Not a very vibrant forward thinking society but one in endless conflict and turmoil. Even many leaders of the faith were concerned about the harsh messages in the old Koran and were advised to create a new modern version strictly for Western eyes. Be kind to yourself and think before you leap into something that burns your bridge of escape behind you.

Peace & Love
One need not be religious to be Spiritual. A Wizard commands power to influence probabilities, stands between worlds with one foot on earth and the other in the heavens, is in tune with the Infinite, knows truth and is at peace with self and the Universe.
Old 30-06-2016, 01:51 AM
Master
I'm not jumping in. I started immersing myself in Islam in March and I'm giving myself a year to decided if it is for me. I am thorough in my research with much smaller decisions in life, not going to start being impulsive now.
Old 30-06-2016, 03:22 AM
Experiencer
@002 Cents,

Sounds to me like have a handle on this. I say this just to give you a little support in the face of some of the doubt others are expressing. If I could offer one last bit of information - it would be that ultimately you do not need a religion to have a close relationship with God. Don't get me wrong, religion is a great vehicle to foster such a relationship and it is just right for many people - but it truly is not necessary. I guess what I'm saying is good for you - and it's awesome you are sticking to your will, keeping an open mind and leaving room for options. I do hope you find what you are seeking.

A man who has not passed through the inferno of his passions has not overcome them.

-- Carl Jung