Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 14-10-2010, 09:28 PM
stormdancer

Faith, Ignorance and Stupidity from a witch

I have been thinking about three words this evening that I have used a lot and heard many people often use, which I believe we use inter-changeably when we shouldn't. As I go over these words I have to tell you up front I am going to end up stepping on some of your toes, figuratively speaking, and it's not because I am trying to be mean, and not because I am trying to be rude, most definitely not, and it is not because I am trying to be cynical. I have found out that sometimes with people unfortunately in order to get a person to move and progress, move one foot in front of the other, you have to step on their toes.

I do want to define the three words I have mentioned.. Faith, Ignorance, and the one we all hate, Stupidity.

I remember as a child I went to Sunday school because of my mum, and my class Sunday school teacher thought I was a total smartarse, but the truth was I was not trying to be a smartarse, I would just come out with questions that no one else in the class would ask, and questions she probably had never asked herself and challenged what she was teaching, but not because I was being a smartarse. It was because I was trying to understand the common sense when I was learning even though it was Sunday school.

Here is one of the things I mentioned one time, and this has to do with ignorance and has to do with stupidity and it has to do with faith.

She was going over the story of Noah’s Ark, and I asked ' I have a question!' As soon as i did that i saw her knuckles clench up...she said...'yes, what’s your question?' I said ...'I want to know how did Noah get all the animals after the flood to the right place? Because we have got the polar bears in the North Pole and we have the penguins in the South Pole.. Now did he do that because he knew the Polar bears would eat the penguins? Thank God he didn't drop a polar bear off in the middle of the Sahara dessert, he put the camels there, imagine dropping the camels off in Siberia!!'...I said ..'How did he do that??'

She said I understand what you are asking but I don't have the answer...She said ' you just have to have Faith!'

I think religion is taking advantage of that word 'Faith'. They give it such a twist that it no longer means what it was intended to mean. In my definition faith is knowing that there is more knowledge , more understanding out there, its not what you see necessarily, it's beyond what you see and understand. Faith is not seen but you believe in it because you believe that there is something out there more, and you might not know what it is but you have faith that there is more to come....and you are continuously moving forward in understanding, wisdom and knowledge.. That’s faith! Faith is a belief that there is more, it's not a knowing what is more necessarily, but it is a belief there is more out there.

Ignorance is when you don't know something. We are so ignorant that we don't know so much that is out there in the Universe, and there is nothing wrong with being Ignorant, but if you take ignorance one step further and you define it as ' self imposed Ignorance', then you have crossed the line into Stupidity.....And I have seen in my life so many people including myself in times past, which now I am conscious of it so I try and avoid it at all costs....But they will cling to a belief and remain ignorant, self imposed ignorance and call it 'faith'. That’s not Faith!! That's stupidity, and stupidity is the stumble block of all progression, and like I said stupidity is self imposed Ignorance.

Here are a couple of examples ...and this will step on some peoples toes.. There is multiple not just only a little bit but in all avenues of scientific discovery, there is so much overwhelming evidence in DNA, In fossils, In Geology and in almost every field of science ...so much overwhelming amount of evidence that all life on our planet originates from a common source. There is multiple evidence that canines, primates and felines, that all of the animals around us are all our cousins. There is multiple evidence, and if you talk to someone who does not want to see that, and this is how you know you are bordering on stupidity. First of all they don't want to look at the evidence, a lot of people do that, and they hear about it and want to push it aside, so they are staying in ignorance.. ok?.. which means they are stupid because now they are not ignorant anymore they are stupid...Another form is that they will hear evidence and it scares the **** out of them, because it shook their world up, and now they don't have all the answers that they thought they did. Now the earth is not the centre of the Universe, it shakes up their picture of reality, and nobody likes that. So they will rationalise everything to the hilt, they will take shreds of evidence here and there and twist it enough , tie it in a knot and try to paint a picture to show what their faith or what their belief is, and say it is accurate when it is not....and we see this in almost every field unfortunately. Religion has done so much for humanity to help us look past the physical, reach for more that is beyond our five senses, they have helped to make us aware of a greater reality, and they have also been a big stumbling block towards greater knowledge...
A BIG STUMBLING BLOCK!

Now these people who say that we didn't come from a common ancestor, I have no doubt that if they lived 500yrs ago they would be telling everybody that the earth is the centre of the Universe too....it's what the bible says or else how they interpreted it, it was doctrine and if you didn’t believe it you were going to go to purgatory because you were a heretic!

I am asking you all please for all our sakes, for the sake of humanity and our evolution, stop being a stumbling block...If you are remaining in self imposed ignorance it is because you are afraid, afraid of being wrong, you are afraid of having your picture of what you think the world is like different, you don't want to expand it or change it, you are afraid of change and all of these things are fears.

My message today is to be aware of self imposed ignorance. When you are doing that you are no longer learning and growing, you have crossed the line from being ignorant which is totally ok, to being stupid, which is not how humanity is going to evolve.

BE A HERETIC.. Every times we have ever progressed in humanity it has been because of the Heretics. Galileo was a heretic, Martin Luther King was a heretic...they go against what people are teaching yet they bring us to a deeper reality, in one way or another. So for all our sakes, please don’t be a stumbling block, or be stupid, rise above ignorance.

Don’t be afraid and dare to be a heretic!!

Peace and Love

Storm xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by stormdancer : 14-10-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 14-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Master
Hi storm
Very interesting! Please know you are not stepping on my toes I have in the past done half my life by religion and half by science! I actually remember a part of a documentary afew years back by a world scientist that was shunned by other scientists as he proved that parts of our makeup ( dna or double helix .. actually I think it was nuleous ..Hope I spelt that right lol) was not found anywhere else on earth! Science is people .. and serves its purpose in positive ways, as does religion for some! Even stupidity serves its purpose .. it teaches us tolerance!
Ahhh its best for me to follow my own path and value where people choose to be! There are three selfs apparently .. the ideal self ( who we think we are) the public self ( who we present ourselves to others) and the real self ( the nuts and bolts of who in this reality we truly are or choose to be). Maybe thats an awareness to think about .. self awareness!

I think you will have a good talking point here!
Blessings
:)

Last edited by Smiler : 14-10-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 15-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Kapitan_Prien

Quote:
Storm: I remember as a child I went to Sunday school because of my mum, and my class Sunday school teacher thought I was a total smartarse, but the truth was I was not trying to be a smartarse, I would just come out with questions that no one else in the class would ask, and questions she probably had never asked herself and challenged what she was teaching, but not because I was being a smartarse. It was because I was trying to understand the common sense when I was learning even though it was Sunday school.

Man...don't I know the feeling. I get the same treatment as well even now.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Stephani Raven

I used to ask questions in Sunday School, too. Ussually about stuff I'd learned in school. I'd ask my mom, the preist, anyone I thought would have the answer. Questions like "If everyone came from Adam and Eve, then aren't we all related, and when related people have babies, isn't there more chance of birth defects? So is everyone just really lucky not to have birth defects, or so we really have the birth defects and the people who we think have birth defects really don't?" (I'm still surprised my mom even understood this one.) Or Adam and Eve VS evolution, or "How did Noah get all the animals from all over the world? And where did they keep the food? And how did the animals not eat each other? And how did the animals not have babies?"
Everyone was happy that I was thinking about Scripture, but my questions really bothered my mom.