Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 12-11-2010, 06:33 PM
ultra-violet

Querying Paganism...

Last edited by ultra-violet : 01-12-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 13-11-2010, 01:04 AM
Kapitan_Prien

From my view it depends upon the type of Pagan. I don't worship any gods or goddesses to start with, nor do spells or any rituals. I follow elements of Finnish paganism which is largely shamanic.

These are the things I relate with:

Finnish Heathenism pre-dates Nordic Heathenism and the two forms of Paganism are observed very differently. Finnish Heathenism is a Shamanic belief system – the Native Americans fashioned their belief system on that of the Ancient Finns. A study of both systems will reveal the great many similarities. On the other hand, the Nordic Heathenism, whilst Nature-based, is not predominantly Shamanic.

Finnish Paganism holds no absolute rules, but instead each pagan has to make their own decisions on how to practice Paganism.

Finnish magick is pragmatic. The magician is not bound by any traditionally established ritual or method of practise. It is believed that the most powerful magick is born of spontaneity and creativity.

The ancient Finns were of the mindset that life is your preparation for ritual. The ritual itself is merely the projection of the magician’s personality to effect change, thus the magician should live a magickal life, the characteristics which should include attention, compassion, courage, intuition, spontaneity, imagination and of course sisu. Sisu is summed up in an old Finnish proverb – "Strong will takes a person even through stone.". The Finns have through history been noted for their resilience. Sisu is not just a positive attitude or bravery – it is a philosophy that what must be done will be done, regardless of the cost. It is a philosophy of integrity. Sisu has allowed the Finns to survive 42 wars with Russia – losing all of them. Sisu allowed the Finns to repay their war debts even when wealthier countries chose not to. Sisu sums up to an indomitable will and this is the secret not only of their survival but to their magick as well. Finns, unlike the Nords, were peaceful and benevolent people.. In fact, theirs is the only national epic whose central theme is not based around conflict, but when conflict becomes inevitable, the warrior enters into it with his or her entire being..

Finnish Magick does not rely on spells and charms so much as it requires the magician to hone and use his/her own powers to effect change. As it should be.

http://indigocrescent.com/id40.html
Old 14-11-2010, 06:25 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra-violet
Can anyone explain what Paganism is in a short paragraph?
Is it right in saying it's about celebration of the seasons, winter/summer solstice, elements, worshiping nature and the earth, and earth-based healing rituals using magic and wisdom?
In the loosest sense of the word, paganism is any religion that is not one of the three Abrahamic faiths of the near-east; which are: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

You cannot define paganism in a short paragraph due to the fact that it's a term that simply excludes the three major monotheistic religions.

But, I have an inkling that you are referring to the more rustic beliefs that mostly died out after the spread of Christianity and Islam during the early middle ages that have been the focal point of many revivals and reconstructions.

So, my short answer to what they represent is: They are paths that value living close to the natural world, and observing the various cycles and flows throughout nature. And using this intimate experience in learning to live in harmony with the earth. Yes, many pagans do practice various magics, but it is not something universal, there are pagans who simply worship and honor deities and the earth, without really getting into the magick part. And there are many people who practice magick, but aren't pagan.

If you have any more questions or need clarification please let me know, and I will do my best to satisfy your curiosity.
Old 14-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Master
Second that ! I have never met a pagan who was not "green".
Old 14-11-2010, 03:47 PM
LightFilledHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Second that ! I have never met a pagan who was not "green".

Nor will you! Pagans have a deep and abiding love for Mother Gaia and the planet her spirit inhabits and guides! I feel this alone qualifies me to call myself a pagan... I not only love, honor and respect this earth, I am nurtured and my heart, mind and spirit fed by her... not to mention my body!!
Old 14-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Kapitan_Prien

I'm probably more green than I'm willing to admit...

...I 'adopted' two orphaned plants and am working on helping them grow again...if this keeps up, I'm not going to have any room in my apt. as I keep 'adopting' plants.
Old 15-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan_Prien
I'm probably more green than I'm willing to admit...

...I 'adopted' two orphaned plants and am working on helping them grow again...if this keeps up, I'm not going to have any room in my apt. as I keep 'adopting' plants.
Welcome to my world Kap'n!
Old 15-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Kapitan_Prien

*laughs*

I couldn't help it...I had the space...and I felt bad they were left out in the cold...