Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Healing

Old 28-04-2015, 09:17 AM
Ascender

Integral/Holistic view & approach to schizophrenia

Hi all.

i've had a 30 year history of mental health difficulties (also some strange experiences in childhood) & a diagnosis of severe paranoid schizophrenia.

i have been exploring & more focused on an alternative healing path with it all for the past 13 years.

i personally take an integral/holistic view of my condition/experiences - bio/psycho/social/spiritual - that things are mediated across spirit - soul/psyche - physical body/brain - social/environmental. i don't see any either/or with it all, but rather that everything is interrelated & interdependent.
imo Carl Jung spoke a lot of sense on all these matters, as have others.

Current mainstream psychiatry primarily focuses on the physical - the physical body/brain. Psychological & social elements often seem secondary to that, & the areas of the soul & spirit are usually excluded.

Obviously it is impossible to argue a case for the spiritual with a materialist, as many now appear to be. Many people also seem fixed on the idea that 'functional' (no known/identifiable biological aetiology [cause]) mental health disorders are brain conditions - i don't think they primarily are - Not to exclude the physiological (biologic) aspects of them - although imo primarily in the vast majority of cases i think the primary aetiology is psychogenic (cause in the mind/psyche).

i've spent the past 10 years on-line trying to raise awareness of & explore the spiritual in mental health, to little avail. Am interested in other people thoughts on the matter. Thanks.
Old 28-04-2015, 09:30 AM
Ascender

Is it OK to post a short poem?

Are not my eyes reflected in yours?
And don’t all things press
On your head and heart,
And weave, in eternal mystery,
Visibly: invisibly, around you?
Fill your heart from it: it is so vast,
And when you are blessed by the deepest feeling,
Call it then what you wish,
Joy! Heart! Love! God!
I have no name
For it! Feeling is all:
Names are sound and smoke,
Veiling Heaven’s bright glow.

Goethe's Faust
Old 28-04-2015, 09:37 AM
Ascender

There are a lot of very interesting fringe areas within the subject of mental health.

Try searching - mystical psychosis, spiritual emergency, shamanism & schizophrenia, as some examples.

i don't deny that people are unwell/ill in various ways & to various degrees - But i also feel there are spiritual/transpersonal elements to peoples conditions/experiences. i don't see any either/or.

i do think that people could be being far better helped in most cases - i think the 'mentally ill' are being terribly & tragically failed by our current society & mental health systems.
Old 30-04-2015, 07:00 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Being
There are a lot of very interesting fringe areas within the subject of mental health.

Try searching - mystical psychosis, spiritual emergency, shamanism & schizophrenia, as some examples.

i don't deny that people are unwell/ill in various ways & to various degrees - But i also feel there are spiritual/transpersonal elements to peoples conditions/experiences. i don't see any either/or.

i do think that people could be being far better helped in most cases - i think the 'mentally ill' are being terribly & tragically failed by our current society & mental health systems.

unfortunately, our society is broken right across the board. you are right to do your own research to find other avenues for your issues. Long ago, people such as yourself were thought to have a calling for the life of shaman, there were plant medicines and elders to guide you, now they brand you as ill.
Old 30-04-2015, 09:03 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer
unfortunately, our society is broken right across the board. you are right to do your own research to find other avenues for your issues. Long ago, people such as yourself were thought to have a calling for the life of shaman, there were plant medicines and elders to guide you, now they brand you as ill.

The 'schizophrenics' would certainly be treated/approached differently within other cultures/times.
Old 28-04-2015, 09:41 AM
Experiencer

You may be interested possibly in the Spiritual Crisis Network which is a support group etc for people with an interest in the relationship between spirituality and mental health.

http://http://spiritualcrisisnetwork.uk/
Old 28-04-2015, 09:45 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly233
You may be interested possibly in the Spiritual Crisis Network which is a support group etc for people with an interest in the relationship between spirituality and mental health.

http://http://spiritualcrisisnetwork.uk/

Thanks. Yes, have been a member of their e-mail discussion group for years.
Old 28-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Ascender

Interesting to note the root meanings -

Etymology The word psyche comes from the ancient Greek for soul or butterfly. The fluttering insect appears in the coat of arms of Britain’s Royal College of Psychiatrists.

The term “psychiatry” was first coined by the German physician Johann Christian Reil in 1808 and literally means the ‘medical treatment of the soul’ (psych- “soul” from Ancient Greek psykhē “soul”; -iatry “medical treatment” from Gk. iātrikos “medical” from iāsthai “to heal”).
Old 28-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Suspended

You might be better off looking into Spirit-Release therapy, because if it isn't caused by an actual physical deformity, it's usually (fron an occult standpoint) a spirit attachment. These attachments can follow us from other lives too - so can be there from birth.
This is not just promoted by psychics, but by some reputable psychiatrists/psychologists as well. The books below are worth reading:

Spirit Release: A Practical Handbook by Sue Allen.

Quote:
"Spirit Release" covers psychic attack, curses, witchcraft, spirit attachment, possession, soul retrieval, haunting, soul rescue, deliverance, exorcism and others. The term is used by healers and psychics of all religions and traditions to define the work they do in releasing and rescuing entities found with people, on land, in buildings and objects which are then redirected to somewhere more appropriate. This comprehensive guide has been developed over many years and used as course material in the College of Psychic Studies in London. Taking a responsible and careful approach to the subject, it stresses that the process should be carried out in a compassionate way, without blame or judgment of the spirit or of the individual who is seeking help.

Soul-Centered Healing: A Psychologist's Extraordinary Journey Into the Realms of Sub-Personalities, Spirits, and Past Lives.

Quote:
A remarkable journey through the hidden dimensions of our inner world . . . Soul-Centered Healing: A Psychologist's Extraordinary Journey into the Realms of Sub-Personalities, Spirits, and Past Lives When clinical psychologist Tom Zinser started working with multiple personality patients, he had no way of anticipating where his work would ultimately lead. Using hypnosis, Zinser learned how to communicate directly with the sub-personalities that, he eventually learned, exist even in healthy individuals. Oftentimes this therapeutic technique would lead to healing and psychological integration. But other times, it would lead to confusing or frustrating results. While he made substantial progress, Zinser also reached a professional impasse. The breakthrough came when Zinser was approached by Katharine Mackey, a secretary in his office, who channeled a spirit named Gerod through automatic writing. Gerod, it seemed, was interested in communicating with the psychologist. Zinser approached the suggestion of "meeting" Gerod with a cautious but curious mind, only to be astonished by the clinically useful information that Gerod provided. Gerod claimed the ability to see directly into the souls of Zinser's clients, and provided very specific guidance on how to help each one. Equally important, Gerod sketched out a map of the human soul, its structure, and destiny, far wider than models provided by clinical psychology. What started out as an experiment turned into an amazing fourteen-year collaboration with more than 650 sessions between Gerod and Dr. Zinser. These sessions enabled Zinser to breach the impasse, guiding his clients to integration at a much deeper, spiritual level. The collaboration also lead the author to a wider understanding of the soul's structure and journey, explained in this book. Soul-Centered Healing is not a book about channeling, but about the importance of seeing our own psyche in a larger context. This compelling, mind-opening account - sure to be controversial - reveals the landscape of a larger psychic and spiritual reality, of which we are a part.

Old 29-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by durgaa
You might be better off looking into Spirit-Release therapy, because if it isn't caused by an actual physical deformity, it's usually (fron an occult standpoint) a spirit attachment. These attachments can follow us from other lives too - so can be there from birth.
This is not just promoted by psychics, but by some reputable psychiatrists/psychologists as well. The books below are worth reading:

Soul-Centered Healing: A Psychologist's Extraordinary Journey Into the Realms of Sub-Personalities, Spirits, and Past Lives.

Thanks. i've read soul centred healing. Some other good books are -

The unquiet dead - By Edith Fiore

Schizophrenia or Spirit Possession
by Mr Mike Williamson

Ghosts And Earthbound Spirits: Recognise and release the spirits trapped in this world
by Linda Williamson

Spirit Releasement Therapy: A Technique Manual
by William J. Baldwin, Edith Fiore

Healing Lost Souls: Releasing Unwanted Spirits from Your Body
by William J. Baldwin

Many others. Lets also not forget Shamanism.

Step away from the orthodox/mainstream, dig a bit below the surface, & there are vast areas to these experiences. i've done a lot of reading & research into a lot of different areas - spirit release, depth & transpersonal psychology, philosophy, comparative religion, consciousness studies (NDE & OBE), Esoteric & Occult areas, all sorts.

These areas can also cover -

1. Shamanic crisis
2. Awakening of Kundalini
3. Episodes of unitive consciousness (Maslow's "peak experiences")
4. Psychological renewal through return to the center (John Perry)
5. Crisis of psychic opening
6. Past-life experiences
7. Communication with spirit guides and "channeling"
8. Near-death experiences (NDEs)
9. Close encounters with UFOs and alien abduction experiences
10. Possession states
11. Alcoholism and drug addiction

i've also worked with some highly competent spiritual healers over the past 13 years.

This is one of the more interesting documents i've come across as to what is happening in psychosis/schizophrenia from a more metaphysical perspective (links on left) -

http://www.alchemyrealm.com/schizophrenia.htm

It is still hard to come to any categorical answers/conclusions. Personally i accept the diagnosis & take the pills. i have made a lot of progress, but i also feel that there are still certain difficulties.

i don't think anyone has a categorical answer to these experiences/conditions. Best i can come up with is an integral/holistic approach & understanding - that there are the realms of the spiritual, psyche & physical. That we are mind, body & soul within environment & effected by all levels. i take a bio/psycho/social/spiritual model - i don't see things as 'either/or'. There are variables (interrelated/interdependent) on physiological/biologic, psychological/emotional, social/environmental & spiritual/transpersonal levels.

How i see it all anyway.

A good book that acknowledges the psychiatric & spiritual, by an expert in both is - 'Healing the split' by John Nelson.