Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 01-08-2014, 02:32 AM
Newbie ;)

Are tunes essential

Mantras, binaurals, zen music - I find it almost impossible to focus without background tunes, especially outdoors. I try to focus on various things, sometimes random images, other times the lyrics of songs. However, focusing on an image like a blank white canvas sends my imagination across the globe and back. I start adding things, picturing other things, everything. How can I train myself to concentrate solely on a blank white canvas? Or anything for that matter

What are useful tips for a beginner like myself?
Old 01-08-2014, 10:56 AM
Master
Quote:
Are tunes essential
No, but Halls Soothers are a must

(Apologies, I realise my flippancy isn't remotely helpful.)
Old 05-08-2014, 01:30 AM
musician1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibrations
How can I train myself to concentrate solely on a blank white canvas? Or anything for that matter

I'm a beginner as well, but I can tell you what works for me: practicing everyday. At the end of my meditation, I imagine I'm in an infinity pool and it was really difficult to keep a good picture of everything in focus, but after working on it everyday (sometimes 3 or 4 times a day) it's getting a lot easier.

I tried tunes and audio chants and I find it way too distracting to focus and stay anchored in the moment. I know this info isn't earth shattering, but maybe it'll help a little bit.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:44 AM
Master
In 1988 To 1989 I Had Intense Meditations

I Used To Sit Cross Legged On A Chair

The Meditation Was Breathing In And Out 10 Times For 4 Cycles

Then Feeling The Breath In The Same Manner

Because I Used To Do It In The Living Room

I Had The TV In The Background

This Stopped Any Thoughts And Made The Meditation More Productive

You Can Also Try The Mindfulness Of Breathing & Four Elements Meditation

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/fourelements.pdf

On My Computer It Went Into The Downloads Drawer

https://www.facebook.com/Sean Baker
https://twitter.com/Sean Baker
[/color]
Old 05-08-2014, 04:55 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibrations
Mantras, binaurals, zen music - I find it almost impossible to focus without background tunes, especially outdoors. I try to focus on various things, sometimes random images, other times the lyrics of songs. However, focusing on an image like a blank white canvas sends my imagination across the globe and back. I start adding things, picturing other things, everything. How can I train myself to concentrate solely on a blank white canvas? Or anything for that matter

Hello goodvibrations, cool name choice ! Welcome to the forum !

In answer to your question " How can I train myself to concentrate solely on a blank white canvas ? " .... practice seriously .... things like that take practice.

For me, all the other sounds, etc would be like distractions to me and to focusing. I can listen to meditation cds or instrumental music while meditating, but other than that there is just too much clutter going on, lol.

if the blank white canvas isn't working, try a chalkboard perhaps ? or some kind of visual like taking a walk into a garden, finding a place to sit down and relax and just let your mind wander or perhaps a beach scene and just imagine hearing the sounds of the ocean as it touches the shore , visualize a lovely sunset or sunrise and just let your thoughts wander.

Sometimes I think people make meditation too complicated, when it should just be something simple.

Best wishes to you on finding something that works for you

Dream Angel xx
Old 05-08-2014, 11:22 PM
Experiencer

Focus on your imagination and merely observe it, notice that you see your imagination. Attention is not imagination, can you now shift/move your attention?

Less external stimulation = harder to focus, doesn't seem like our minds likes to idle. If you manage to get some control over your imagination you can focus on imaginary objects, or do self-guided imagery. In any case it takes practice.