Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 31-03-2019, 02:16 PM
Seeker

Jiddu krishnamurty lecture

Youtube video s9IS1zW6In4
Someone asked him about value of observing thoughts.
Is he saying yes or no?
Old 31-03-2019, 07:06 PM
Master

Well, I tried watching the video but unfortunately I find Krishnamurti very dry and tedious, so I soon gave up.

The question asked was along the lines of "Is observing thoughts a practice, a method, and therefore of no value?"

The problem with Krishnamurti was that he dismissed all practices as obstacles to realising truth, but at the same time over the years he became quite frustrated because none of his followers seemed to realise the truth he spoke about. Practices have their place, they are a means to an end. Once you have reached the end then you no longer need the practices, but until then there is value in doing spiritual practices.

Observing thoughts has value because we learn about the nature of the mind and we realise that we (the observer) are separate from our thoughts (that which is observed). We then become less identified with thoughts and more identified with the Witness.

Eventually we aim to still thoughts as they arise, resting in the empty space between thoughts. When we stop giving energy to our thoughts then the mind becomes quiet.

Of course, the irony with Krishnamurti was that he said that teachers were unnecessary and people should not be followers, and yet the video shows Krishnamurti in the role of a teacher speaking to his followers.

Someone else may watch the whole video and confirm if he is saying yes or no.

Peace.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:11 AM
Master

Motiveless yes ... if seeking for attaining, no.

He says that if a seeker observes thoughts or meditates or recites mantras as a doer to attain something ... then the act is self defeating. However, if we are free flowing, observing without association, without expectation, without motive, then ... yes.

In other words, as K says, be quiet naturally, without effort.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:21 PM
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Well, I tried watching the video but unfortunately I find Krishnamurti very dry and tedious, so I soon gave up.
Hahahaha ...I have only found a couple things he had to say beneficial to me 'personally'....
I am sure he is great for many.

I don't think I have ever said that out loud!!!!! You're a bad influence, iamthat !

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 01-04-2019, 01:44 PM
janielee

Agree with iamthat as well, for the most part.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:51 PM
Seeker

Excerpts from the lecture

Quote:
If you listen quietly, not saying the speaker is right or wrong, or saying, I am committed to this, I have promised not to give it up; I am this, that, the other thing", but listen to what is being said without resistance, then what you are doing is your own discovery, then your mind in the very process of investigation becomes quiet.

What do we investigate? Do we investigate why we had that thought? what led to the thought? what was the reason for the anxiety? what is my ownership in the unpleasant past event?
Old 01-04-2019, 09:33 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Hahahaha ...I have only found a couple things he had to say beneficial to me 'personally'....
I am sure he is great for many.

I don't think I have ever said that out loud!!!!! You're a bad influence, iamthat !

The last time I was called a bad influence was as a long-haired teenage hippie in the 1970s.

Peace.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:38 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverider
What do we investigate? Do we investigate why we had that thought? what led to the thought? what was the reason for the anxiety? what is my ownership in the unpleasant past event?

The mind loves to investigate and analyse, and it can go round and round in circles. Letting go of investigation and analysis leads to the quiet mind we all seek.

Peace.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:00 PM
Quote:
The last time I was called a bad influence was as a long-haired teenage hippie in the 1970s.

Peace.
See?

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 02-04-2019, 04:31 AM
Seeker

Quote:
The mind loves to investigate and analyse, and it can go round and round in circles. Letting go of investigation and analysis leads to the quiet mind we all seek.

Peace.
Yes true. But he says “in the process of investigation the mind becomes quiet”. He said the same thing in other speeches as well.