Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 12-07-2018, 05:12 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Thank you for showing me that...but why is it that I get this distinct feeling in my gut that this is a pet cobra (not an uncommon thing in India), which was draped over the Shiva statue and the video taken straight afterwards, before the snake had a chance to slink away?...call me a critic. lol

Aum Namah Shivaya
That would explain it. The voices (though I couldn't understnd what they said) seemed to indicate 'surprise' - not a stage video, in other words.

Abnd then there's this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dpg4pQxjAA
Old 13-07-2018, 02:08 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsun
That would explain it. The voices (though I couldn't understnd what they said) seemed to indicate 'surprise' - not a stage video, in other words.

Abnd then there's this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dpg4pQxjAA
A youtube search also found quite a few instances of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdX81MavF-Q

You can believe that snakes visit Shiva temples by themselves because they know what a Shiva statue is...or you can believe that people put them there, but logic dictates the latter is more plausible.

Just like the case of statues drinking milk about a decade back...you can believe that the statues actually DID drink milk, or you can believe that capillary action caused the milk to seep into the cement/rock structure of the statue, making it appear as if the milk was being 'drank'...my rational mind likes to believe the latter.

I guess I'm just not a 'miracle person' and I don't believe in them because there is an explanation for everything, if one discounts all personal beliefs....but if people want to be superstitious and believe what they see to be concurring with their own beliefs coincidentally, that's fine.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 13-07-2018, 12:58 PM
Master
Quote:
A youtube search also found quite a few instances of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdX81MavF-Q

You can believe that snakes visit Shiva temples by themselves because they know what a Shiva statue is...or you can believe that people put them there, but logic dictates the latter is more plausible.

Just like the case of statues drinking milk about a decade back...you can believe that the statues actually DID drink milk, or you can believe that capillary action caused the milk to seep into the cement/rock structure of the statue, making it appear as if the milk was being 'drank'...my rational mind likes to believe the latter.

I guess I'm just not a 'miracle person' and I don't believe in them because there is an explanation for everything, if one discounts all personal beliefs....but if people want to be superstitious and believe what they see to be concurring with their own beliefs coincidentally, that's fine.

Aum Namah Shivaya

But I think 'spirit' is, or at least the actions of 'spiirit' are magical - as implicit in:

"Not that which the eye can see, but that whereby the eye can see: know that to be Brahman the eternal, and not what [most] people here adore;
Not that which the ear can hear, but that whereby the ear can hear: know that to be Brahman the eternal, and not what [most] people here adore;
Not that which speech can illuminate, but that by which speech can be illuminated: know that to be Brahman the eternal, and not what [most] people here adore;
Not that which the mind can think, but that whereby the mind can think: know that to be Brahman the eternal, and not what [most] people here adore."

Though, of course, as in AI, magic can be 'faked'!
Old 13-07-2018, 01:02 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsun

But I think 'spirit' is, or at least the actions of 'spiirit' are magical - as implicit in:

"Not that which the eye can see, but that whereby the eye can see: know that to be Brahman the eternal, and not what [most] people here adore;
Not that which the ear can hear, but that whereby the ear can hear: know that to be Brahman the eternal, and not what [most] people here adore;
Not that which speech can illuminate, but that by which speech can be illuminated: know that to be Brahman the eternal, and not what [most] people here adore;
Not that which the mind can think, but that whereby the mind can think: know that to be Brahman the eternal, and not what [most] people here adore."

Though, of course, as in AI, magic can be 'faked'!
I take my hat off to you, quoting the Kena Upanishad back at me in reply.
Old 13-07-2018, 01:18 PM
Master
Quote:
I take my hat off to you, quoting the Kena Upanishad back at me in reply.
As in the case of people, the thoughts and actions of snakes can be 'directed' by the power of (more powerful?) thought-n-intent 'waves' in the 'field' of thought-n-intent around them - the actions of 'schooling' and 'migrating' fish and 'flocking' and 'migrating' birds, as well as individual and mass (belief/'hypnotic'?) responses in the case of people, are just some of many cases in point.

Or so 'I' (who dat? ) think-n-intend to communicate, dear one.
Old 30-07-2018, 06:54 AM
Master
Namaste.

I would like to take this opportunity of wishing everybody a very happy Shravaan Maas..May the Light and Love of Lord Shiva bless you and yours during this auspicious occasion.

I am particularly joyous today. Starman put me back in touch with myself by making reference to the Sri Vidya Tattva...I have discovered Matt Kahn on YouTube...I am finding people who are able to bypass my analytical mind and touch that spot inside, where I need it...and this is all due to the resplendent Grace of Mahadeva.

It is also my birthday tomorrow and I am glad to realise my birthday falls within this time.
https://youtu.be/6XQnHsEKssM

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 30-07-2018, 12:53 PM
Master
Quote:
Namaste.

I would like to take this opportunity of wishing everybody a very happy Shravaan Maas..May the Light and Love of Lord Shiva bless you and yours during this auspicious occasion.

I am particularly joyous today. Starman put me back in touch with myself by making reference to the Sri Vidya Tattva...I have discovered Matt Kahn on YouTube...I am finding people who are able to bypass my analytical mind and touch that spot inside, where I need it...and this is all due to the resplendent Grace of Mahadeva.

It is also my birthday tomorrow and I am glad to realise my birthday falls within this time.

Aum Namah Shivaya
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3yCcXgbKrE

Old 30-07-2018, 11:38 PM
Master
Hi.

Happy Shravaan Maas Shivani and others.

Shivani, I was wondering your thoughts as a shavite on the Vedas? I apologize if this has been addressed here already, as I have missed it, I am looking for the perspective of another, as I am currently reading the Vedas to begin my long study of Hinduism. I find I am truly enjoying it thus far, it is a lot to learn, every time I come across a word I don't understand, I take out that time to look it up and look into it, I am learning much about Hindu deities this way. Quite a lot to learn, but will take my time.

That is what I wanted to ask, your perspective on the Vedas.

Happy, Shravaan Maas.

And Happy birthday!

Blessings.
Old 31-07-2018, 01:49 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturninePluto
Hi.

Happy Shravaan Maas Shivani and others.

Shivani, I was wondering your thoughts as a shavite on the Vedas? I apologize if this has been addressed here already, as I have missed it, I am looking for the perspective of another, as I am currently reading the Vedas to begin my long study of Hinduism. I find I am truly enjoying it thus far, it is a lot to learn, every time I come across a word I don't understand, I take out that time to look it up and look into it, I am learning much about Hindu deities this way. Quite a lot to learn, but will take my time.

That is what I wanted to ask, your perspective on the Vedas.

Happy, Shravaan Maas.

And Happy birthday!

Blessings.
Namaste and happy Shravan Maas to you also.

I would be more than happy to share what I know, as both a Shaivite and a Vedic scholar.

The Vedas give a very good snapshot of what Hinduism was like at the time they were written.

What is seen as modern Hinduism today, with the current deities worshiped, the caste system, the various Agamic rituals evolved over time and they are loosely based on the Vedas, but have no direct reference to them.

The deities worshiped in Vedic times were all the tuletary elemental and planetary deities. The main four among these were Agni (Fire God), Indra (Storm God), Surya/Hiranyagarbha (Sun God) and Rudra (God of time, death and everything that didn't have a God already).

Shiva is not mentioned in the Vedas...nor is Vishnu or Brahma...All of that came later with the Puranas and epic stories.

In the Vedas, there are 11 Rudras. These comprise the five senses, the five Karmendriyas (the way each sense is perceived in the brain) and one life-force or spiritual essence. They say that at the time of death, when these things depart the body, there is a lot of crying and wailing from the one who dies and others around them...thus it was called "Rudra" which means to cry or howl.

Around the same time and place, there was a tribal Deity called Pashupati, who was a nature spirit...and basically all of the Hindu deities worshiped today had their origins as tribal Gods, irrespective of the Vedas..and of course the Vedic Gods were worshiped also...and still are today, but they have been relegated to a rather minor or insignificant status by comparison.

So, Rudra became associated with Pashupati, who also became associated with Maha Kaal (as death, birth and regeneration over time is the function of the Nature God) and the doctrine of regeneration or reincarnation became based upon the seasons.

The tribal beliefs from the South of India also infiltrated those from the North...and they also had a God which was like Pashupati, called Shiva...and thus, through a convoluted way, Rudra from the Vedas became synonymous by inference to Shiva.

The Vedas basically set out the properties of the elemental deities and their methods of worship, sciences like astronomy, astrology, medicine, rules and conduct for living, philosophy etc...until the Upanishads came along.

The Upanishads are also part of the Vedas, but they sought to do away with all of those 33 crore of Gods established in the earlier Vedic period, to only one (which also could be none) called Brahman (not to be confused with Brahma) and Brahman is everything...which is also what everybody IS in essence...As emphasized by the Mahavakyas or great sayings: " That Thou Art" and "Brahman Alone Exists" and each Upanishad is a story based on how a person or a group of people came to realise that.

Anyway, that is enough for now and I feel sure more will follow as it comes to mind, but I tire..this will be enough to get you started.

Blessings to you also.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 31-07-2018, 06:16 AM
Master
In addition...and not meaning to blow my own trumpet here...but if there is anything you, or anybody else wishes to know about Hinduism, Sanskrit or the meanings of any words and terms, please feel free to ask and I shall do my best to answer any questions put to me.

I enjoy doing this as a direct expression of the Jnana shakti which flows through my veins.

I try not to let my ego get involved, but occasionally that will happen in spite of myself. LOL

The other day, I received a PM from another member on here, showing me these tattoos, in Sanskrit, all over the arms of a famous Yoga teacher and he asked me if I could translate them, because it was nowhere on the internet..and those he asked, who could speak Hindi didn't have a clue.

https://www.google.com.au/search?tbm...V7m0o4BvpJaHM:

It was a bit of a challenge for me, but after a while, I was able to do so..

The tattoos said "Nirbija Samadhi Samaaya Pratyahar" which means "Enlightenment without seed (impetus) is attained through sensory deprivation".

Suffice to say, I was jumping around the room in an awesome mood after that because I was still able to translate Sanskrit into English after about 30 years of not having done so. This was like a watershed moment for me.

Aum Namah Shivaya