Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 03-03-2013, 05:18 AM
tenzinchoje

A story about a Tibetan Buddhist deity...

This is something that eventually any Buddhist would encounter. It's about Dorje Shugden, the supposedly demon that the Dalai Lama has banned. I believe that everyone deserves to know both sides of the story and thus, they should at least learn about Dorje Shugden's origins before deciding that that he is bad. I am not going against the Dalai Lama or anything, but shouldnt we as Buddhists have a right investigate and learn before we actually believe in something? 10 out of 10 people out there who are against Dorje Shugden have no idea how he originated and who was his previous incarnation. They only know he's bad because the Dalai Lama says so. There are many resources on him online, so I am hoping that before anyone makes a judgement or decision, please do at least learn about him before deciding. At least, knowing 2 sides of the story is better than following one side blindly.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Animus27

I think a lot of the D.L's outspoken rejection of Dorje Shugden is that it's been heavily intertwined with Tibetan nationalism, and his veneration as a deity isn't necessarily ancient. Given Tibet's tumultuous political past, I can understand why he wants to separate himself from any sect that can be seen as politically charged; but I do not think the Buddha himself would condone the banning of Dorje Shugden worshippers from dharma events, as His Holiness has done.

I fully agree that we should do investigating ourselves, rather than taking authority without question. Fire testing gold and all that.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:24 AM
tenzinchoje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
I think a lot of the D.L's outspoken rejection of Dorje Shugden is that it's been heavily intertwined with Tibetan nationalism, and his veneration as a deity isn't necessarily ancient. Given Tibet's tumultuous political past, I can understand why he wants to separate himself from any sect that can be seen as politically charged; but I do not think the Buddha himself would condone the banning of Dorje Shugden worshippers from dharma events, as His Holiness has done.

I fully agree that we should do investigating ourselves, rather than taking authority without question. Fire testing gold and all that.

yeah you are right. As soon as the Dalai Lama declared that Dorje Shugden is banned, and that practicing him is detrimental to the Tibetan cause and that it will shorten his life, and he included some very patchy and shaky evidence that has little proof, China immediately made many Tibetan monasteries practice Dorje Shugden. So its more of a political than a religious issue.

But what is extremely sad is how Buddhists are not open to discussing about Dorje Shugden or investigating him, if they did, they will know he's not an evil spirit as his practitioners include very highly attained Lamas, one of them being the Dalai Lama's own teacher, Trijang Rinpoche. And the Dalai Lama has outright said that his teacher is wrong...then later changed his mind and said only his teacher can practice.

It is incredibly ironic that this topic cannot even be mentioned in Buddhist forums and people who do are immediately banned without mercy. Where is the compassion? hahahaha