Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 27-10-2019, 10:38 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
Ok that makes sense! Thanks. So would ego be at play here, I raised from birth to believe certain religious beliefs. As I got out on my own I started exploring and asking "why" like a child. You wouldn't believe how many people will NOT give you an answer when you simply ask why or question a thought.
You're welcome. Being fed religious beliefs and simply accepting therm is indicative of having a low/lesser ego because you'd simply accepted them. As your ego began to assert itself then it began to question and hopefully it struck a healthier balance that didn't blindly accept but needed the beliefs to make sense to you in your own way. What's known as ego might have happened when you wielded your beliefs to gain status within a peer group.

Oh I would believe how many people will not give you an answer and there are probably any number of reasons for that. What people also don't realise is that beliefs are only a small part of their consciousness and there's been quite a bit of unconscious 'processing' that has gone on prior to them saying "I believe that...." What would probably be the most interesting of threads is one that asks the reasons people have beliefs.

Beliefs are a very intimate part of some people, to others they're wealth and status and to others yet the bubble of an alter ego that's escaping and evading from the 'real world'. Some become as protective of their beliefs as those that are protective of material wealth - people own their beliefs and have invested quite a lot in them. The ego doesn't differentiate between what people won.
Old 27-10-2019, 11:08 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
You're welcome. Being fed religious beliefs and simply accepting therm is indicative of having a low/lesser ego because you'd simply accepted them. As your ego began to assert itself then it began to question and hopefully it struck a healthier balance that didn't blindly accept but needed the beliefs to make sense to you in your own way. What's known as ego might have happened when you wielded your beliefs to gain status within a peer group.

Oh I would believe how many people will not give you an answer and there are probably any number of reasons for that. What people also don't realise is that beliefs are only a small part of their consciousness and there's been quite a bit of unconscious 'processing' that has gone on prior to them saying "I believe that...." What would probably be the most interesting of threads is one that asks the reasons people have beliefs.

Beliefs are a very intimate part of some people, to others they're wealth and status and to others yet the bubble of an alter ego that's escaping and evading from the 'real world'. Some become as protective of their beliefs as those that are protective of material wealth - people own their beliefs and have invested quite a lot in them. The ego doesn't differentiate between what people won.
the balance you mentioned definitely did happen. As far as being within a peer group I am really not in one. Hahaha. The last number of year's I led a solitary life. I did most of my life by choice you could say. Never did fit in one single "slot" When you take beliefs from different areas, your beliefs don't match up fully with anyone's. But I don't mind it. I've really grown during this time.
Old 27-10-2019, 05:41 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
' And the world will be as one '
Without ego
Yup. One great blob of undifferentiated stuff. No need for a brain as there'd be no interaction, no individual thought or experience. It would solve a lot of human problems....except there'd be no human.

Well, I can't think the planet would be worse off for that!
Old 27-10-2019, 09:25 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
Ego gets such bad press here. Without one an entity has no identity. They'd have no public face.

Without an ego we'd be in a world of hurt or others around us would.

In the Freudian sense "the ego's job is to strike a balance between the two often competing forces and to make sure that fulfilling the needs of the id and superego conforms to the demands of reality".

Without that balance we would either swing back and forth between extremes or get stuck at one extreme or the other. From a spiritual perspective my take is awareness can be a sanity-check with veto power over ego.

Quote:
When you speak of ego and imagination remember that they exist only because of the sum total of your life experiences (and if you so believe, past lives) and how you assimilated them, much of the action stored well away from the "conscious mind" if you use Freud's model of mind.

Yup. It's all an accumulation of experience over one's life and one approach to the spiritual path is to assess all the habits of mind and sort out the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. At least that's my current take.
Old 27-10-2019, 09:31 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Yup. One great blob of undifferentiated stuff. No need for a brain as there'd be no interaction, no individual thought or experience. It would solve a lot of human problems....except there'd be no human.

Interesting this came up in this thread because this recently occurred to me in the context of the underlying non-duality, if one subscribes to such a philosophy.

Imagine that non-duality, Brahman if you will, all by its lonesome with no playground to play out and experience its intelligence and creativity.
Old 28-10-2019, 07:42 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
the balance you mentioned definitely did happen. As far as being within a peer group I am really not in one. Hahaha. The last number of year's I led a solitary life. I did most of my life by choice you could say. Never did fit in one single "slot" When you take beliefs from different areas, your beliefs don't match up fully with anyone's. But I don't mind it. I've really grown during this time.
Yeah I know well about being the square peg in the round hole, it certainly makes Life more interesting for sure. When you have a healthy ego IU think you can tell when others have the same, and when they don't so much. It's not a criticism for me but a way of better understanding myself - in Haile Selassie's definition of Spirituality it's all about the connections we make to ourselves and others. If your perception of yourself is screwed then that connection goes out of the window, and all this 'ego as the bad guy' only means that people become dissociative. Not a good basis for Spirituality.
Old 28-10-2019, 07:51 AM
Greenslade

Quote:

Well, I can't think the planet would be worse off for that!
In an ideal Spiritual world, ego would be annihilated, ego-deathed and destroyed out of existence but the brochure leaves something out. The Spiritual gurus that have actually achieved an ego-less state are spoon fed and have their nappies changed, and if they can't experience a state of non-ego without an ego???? Gotta love the irony.

What's also almost always ignored is that if people don't have an ego, they are unable to function. Jung's simplest definition of 'ego' is "It is a sense of I am" and without that we'd be in a psychiatric ward, literally with no sense of "I am hungry" or "I need to pee."

I wonder how that would change Spirituality if people took it on board.
Old 28-10-2019, 07:53 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
In an ideal Spiritual world, ego would be annihilated, ego-deathed and destroyed out of existence but the brochure leaves something out. The Spiritual gurus that have actually achieved an ego-less state are spoon fed and have their nappies changed, and if they can't experience a state of non-ego without an ego???? Gotta love the irony.

What's also almost always ignored is that if people don't have an ego, they are unable to function. Jung's simplest definition of 'ego' is "It is a sense of I am" and without that we'd be in a psychiatric ward, literally with no sense of "I am hungry" or "I need to pee."

I wonder how that would change Spirituality if people took it on board.

This is a very limited and erroneous understanding of ego and egolessness.

Peace
Old 29-10-2019, 09:39 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat

Peace
And your professional - NOT Spiritual - expertise is????
Old 29-10-2019, 01:38 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Yes it is, with the perseveration of these unfounded irrational distortions - “nappies” & forced feeding a major theme. These evident fixations probably originate in areas that become problematic to discuss on a public forum including Gs’s repeated autobiographical references in his own posts, which would tend to confirm this perspective, but out of respect and compassion we need not pursue that direction further.

However there are the by-products in discussion as projected incessantly in posts evidencing debased and distorted conception, persistent disparagement of, and (apparent) personal aversion to legitimate spirituality.

Also similar in repeated sheer deliberate evasion of legitimate spiritual resources and cogent explanation within both well established theory and practice in various spiritual traditions, in favor of:

The constant demand on others for revision, validation, and rationalization through non-spiritual “professional” and utterly irrelevant contexts (quite odd on a “spiritual forum”), while often leaning heavily on a chaotic diffusion of far-out pop-culture new-age, science-fiction conspiracy theories, and arbitrary scientist name-dropping posed as unimpeachably relevant - it seems that this train of thought will persist.

~ J