Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

View Poll Results: Cost aside, which would you prefer?
Burial 7 9.21%
Cremation 48 63.16%
I don't care 15 19.74%
Other 6 7.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-11-2018, 04:09 PM
Seeker

I'm not super sentimental about my own death. I hope they just cremate me, spread the ashes and that will be that. I don't need to be remembered
Old 21-11-2018, 11:15 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
When I was in grad-school one of the things we learned was how to do a community assessment,
and part of this process was visiting a cemetery in an outlying community and writing a paper about
what you learned about that community from visiting their local cemetery.

Its’ amazing the things you can learn, especially from the headstones, when you visit a cemetery.
Like when I did this assignment I learned that there was a couple of years when lots of young children
died in a particular community, and I learned this from looking at grave-site headstones. Family plots
can tell you something about a community. The types of headstones there are in the cemetery, religious
symbols, etc., can tell you something. There are lots of things you can learn from a grave yard.

that's really neat information and insight. yeah this thread has made me consider burial as a superior option merely for the fact that it gives people a sort of sacred place to go, though before I was thinking that cremation was better because of the liberation and freedom of scattering ashes and the adventure that they can go on lol. I guess as you mentioned in your previous post about the VA locker, people could have ashes present at a graveyard site somehow too. I mean I could argue that some people see a graveyard site or whatever as a burden because they don't end up visiting it as much as they think they should or would like to.. and also that the spirit or soul has moved on and isn't part of the ashes, or that dead burnt bodies are creepy lol.. but still, I know that the time or two I visited a grave of a beloved family member, the experience has a language of its own and does seem like soul stuff. especially because you can go with other loved ones, and being outside, etc.. thankfully the only person I was very close to that died was my grandma over a decade ago and I'd have a heart-wrenching soul-sparking experience at her gravesite.. then my dad died a couple years ago and I had moved so I haven't been back to the state and he was cremated (he didn't even have legs left so I guess it was more fitting especially how badly his poor body had gotten) and I haven't gotten any ashes yet. I do want some but I also have mixed feelings about it. and my mom who divorced him eons ago currently has them.. she and my brother spread some in California and maybe somewhere else, and my sister spread some in Asia. I suppose that the spirituality and meaning we attach to the object/ashes and activity of spreading them is what makes it most significant, same with the gravesite I guess
Old 08-11-2019, 12:56 AM
Seeker

Cremation if I had to choose. I don't want to be a financial burden on my friends and family but I know my essence is not in my body. It is all around :)
Old 08-11-2019, 02:44 AM
Master
I'd like to be frozen and hopefully revived sometime in the future.
Old 28-03-2020, 10:29 AM
Elfin

Hi, for me personally , cremation as I can't bear the thought of being buried in the cold dark earth. However , one of my son's can't bear the thought of cremation. His dad died 4 years ago and was cremated. Even though his ashes were buried , he feels there's nothing left, not even bones. But despite his feelings I just cannot think about burial.
Old 28-03-2020, 03:12 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
When I was in grad-school one of the things we learned was how to do a community assessment,
and part of this process was visiting a cemetery in an outlying community and writing a paper about
what you learned about that community from visiting their local cemetery.

Its’ amazing the things you can learn, especially from the headstones, when you visit a cemetery.
Like when I did this assignment I learned that there was a couple of years when lots of young children
died in a particular community, and I learned this from looking at grave-site headstones. Family plots
can tell you something about a community. The types of headstones there are in the cemetery, religious
symbols, etc., can tell you something. There are lots of things you can learn from a grave yard.
My sister and I visited a grave yard a few years ago.

The names on the headstones were very unique.

For example:

William Williams
Evan Evans, etc.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 28-03-2020, 03:18 PM
Master
Almost 20 years ago I watched and smelled an open cremation. The person cremated was an old lady. She was well pack with resins (like Copal, etc.) that scented the air for several days as the consuming fire raged on.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 31-07-2020, 07:33 PM
Newbie ;)

I hope to ‘tame’ all lower ego shells of being in life, but just in case i havent perfected that, cremation is the only way to disintegrate these parts to not be a nuisance to anyone else! ��
Old 03-08-2020, 12:00 PM
Seeker
Family Research

Thank you for this very interesting thread.

For some years now researching family trees has been my hobby. This year I was asked to help with military memorials on a well known genealogy website. To make it more meaningful for me, I chose to work on those at my local cemetery and it was fascinating researching the lives of WW1 and WW2 soldiers and sailors, and writing their biographies.

These people's lives would be unlikely to be remembered without there being graves, and so in these cases I do feel it is important for there to be a burial (of the body or the ashes) as a focus and memorial.

It is my belief, and my experience that family research is spiritual work. Those on the other side come to those they know are doing their family history and guide them to find their stories and life records. They want to be remembered, for their stories to be told and sometimes for help in resolving an issue.

Cassy
Old 03-08-2020, 11:44 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
This was something that I had to ponder on when I lost my husband. the kids wanted him to be buried so they could go to his grave.when they wanted to talk with him. so that is what I did.
I always said cremation with my ashes scattered into the four winds.but I will more than likely be buried with my husband.

Namaste
you can still be creamated and your kids can put a marker with your name on it next to your husband. The body does not have to be there. My sister was attached to burying my mother but my mother insisted on cremation so my sister got her ashes and put them in a grave next to her daughter.