Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 19-04-2020, 08:19 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgarthaZen11
"Now beware in yourselves that your hearts do not become heavy with the eating of flesh and with the intoxication of wine and with the anxiety of the world, and that day come upon you suddenly; for as a snare it will come upon all them who sit on the surface of the earth.” (Jesus, Luke 21:34 and 35, the Old Syriac-Aramaic Gospel Manuscript: Evangelion da-Mepharreshe: the Curetonian Manuscript of the Four Gospels, with Readings of the Sinai Palimpsest and the Early Syriac Patristic Evidence)
Mostly everything in the holly books is symbolic, and in some specific context. Unfortunately the original meaning and intention are made more difficult to be inferred because of the multiple copying, translating, paraphrasing, ...

So, this quote is like "fake news" to manipulate the audience ...

A quick google search points to a ton of translations, none of them hinting to what his quote is made to hint to:
https://biblehub.com/luke/21-34.htm
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 20-04-2020, 09:50 AM
Master
True, there are multiple translations and who can claim to have the original?

Quote:
Luke 21:34
Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you suddenly like a trap.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...34&version=NIV

OP's source seems 'Hindu' so they choose a different translation, or possibly deliberately misinterpret it.

In any case, since this is the Veg forum, it should still be interesting that (1) there are multiple examples in the bible in favour of vegetarianism, and (2) many people were basically 'semi-vegetarian' or 'flexitarian', not by choice or ethics but by what was simply available. It would not be an outlandish assumption to say that some groups or communities would go on and deliberate choose the diet, perhaps also some biblical authors. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_vegetarianism

I don't believe in a creator god nor that any gods tell (or should be entitled to tell) humans what to eat and what not, but it's interesting nonetheless. If we follow the bible it does seem to support vegetarianism.
Old 20-04-2020, 06:36 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
True, there are multiple translations and who can claim to have the original? [1]

OP's source seems 'Hindu' so they choose a different translation, or possibly deliberately misinterpret it.

In any case, since this is the Veg forum, it should still be interesting that (1) there are multiple examples in the bible in favour of vegetarianism, and (2) many people were basically 'semi-vegetarian' or 'flexitarian', not by choice or ethics but by what was simply available. It would not be an outlandish assumption to say that some groups or communities would go on and deliberate choose the diet, perhaps also some biblical authors. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_vegetarianism

I don't believe in a creator god nor that any gods tell (or should be entitled [2] to tell) humans what to eat and what not, but it's interesting nonetheless. If we follow the bible it does seem to support vegetarianism.

[1] I wonder ... there should be something as an "original", or oldest reliable copy. Even that original is hearsay, isn't it? I assume that for Catholics the Vatican's interpretation is to follow, for Christian Orthodox their leading authority's.

[2] This is a little funny: "I don't believe in a creator god [] entitled to tell ..."

Wikipedia isn't an authority in anything, just a point of view, that can be as BiaSed and wrong as any opinion.

This is a veg forum, and it seems that as long as the discussion is conducted in polite terms, differing points of view are acceptable, as on all the other forums, religious included.

I don't intend to argue, I just stated that the original quote is probably an intentional stretch of the original, in my opinion. Again, I believe that most everything from ancient stories is draped in symbolism, and it shouldn't be taken ad litteram.

EDIT: By the way, I rarely eat meat, and supplement my diet with whey protein and B12. And, love all animals! Plants too ... but I have to eat something. :)
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 20-04-2020, 07:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Wikipedia isn't an authority in anything, just a point of view, that can be as BiaSed and wrong as any opinion.

You make it sound as if I think wikipedia by itself is an authority, but that is not true. I use wikipedia because it quickly allows people to read on a topic. From there on they can check the sources. This offers more than a single source elsewhere. As far as a random internet discussion goes it is often still sufficient. I don't have the patience to go through a database of science journals, or in this case a database with commentaries and articles written by theologians on this specific topic, because I don't expect people here are interested in that kind of detail. It's just a forum, not a theological conference here, so linking a wiki page feels right and is within the 'spirit' of such.

I too believe there is much about the bible that is symbolic, for example the genesis stories. Then other parts are likely just nationalistic ramblings (the anti-Egypt and anti-Babylon sentiment for example), used by people to further create and develop a sense of national identity. Then again some other parts could have really happened, though are still biased and written with a religious 'policy' in the back of their minds. So we get a complex picture.

And based on various parts of the bible I don't think it's controversial to say the bible is rather positive towards vegetarianism.