Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Tarot and Oracle Cards

Old 26-08-2018, 06:30 AM
Master
The Major Arcana Come In Pairs

This is something I have noticed about the Trump cards which does not get much mention.

They come in pairs. The pairs go as follows:

The Fool and The World (the first and last cards)

The Magician and The Priestess

The Empress and The Emperor

The Pope and The Lovers

The Chariot and Strength

The Hermit and Fortune

Justice and The Hanged Man

Death couples with Judgement. In between Death and Judgement we get the final six cards.

Temperance and The Devil

The Tower and The Star

The Moon and The Sun

What is interesting is that the meanings of the cards which are paired together complement each other.

There are four cards which stand out from the others because they are not placed NEXT to their complementary pair.

The Fool and The World - in between these two we get all the other cards.

Death and Judgement - in between these two we get the pairs of cards which are the most polarised. They are like light and dark. Or opposites.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 26-08-2018, 10:26 PM
Master
That's how you see it?
I'm not certain if I totally agree. You could come up with different pairing, depending on what aspect you base it on.
Old 27-08-2018, 09:40 AM
Master
I'm sure the trumps could be categorised into all sorts of combinations. But while I was studying the meanings of the cards it occurred to me that the pairing of the cards as above was accurate to their meaning.

For example the Magician is expression and the Priestess is in comparison reception. The Empress is femininity while the Emperor is masculinity.

The meaning of the pairs of cards complement each other.

Old 27-08-2018, 12:28 PM
Master

I don't necessarily disagree with strong links between the abovementioned cards (I was taught the major arcana kind of follow a story)

however I would argue very similar links exist between the cards in a different format, eg

Fool + Magician

High Priestess + Empress

Emperor + Hierophant etc etc

In my head, it all smushes together in one big fat line of Fool - Magician - High Priestess - Empress - Emperor etc etc :)
My first tarot teacher also had a point of saying any reversed major arcana indicated that the upright version of the preceeding major arcana was the lesson that needed to be learned.
Old 27-08-2018, 12:30 PM
Deactivated Account

Hm, I guess I can't see it that way. Although, I can see to Tealilys point..

For me, they are pretty direct 'archetypes' with their own astrological sign/ influence. Its like saying, Capricorns ( The Devil) and The Lovers ( Gemini) are perfect matches. We are pretty much the worst. Emperor is the hot headed fire Aries and the Hierophant is earth elemental Taurus, seems like the Hiero would advice the Emperor to chill out lol. Anywho, each card is ruled by different planets as well. My point--each card i just seems so different to me to be matching pairs.

Also, It's the fools journey, starting with the fool and the path goes on. Thats just the way I see. If it makes sense for you to see what you described, than I suppose that is what matters, your using your own knowledge and intuition to create a subjective opinion of what you picked up.. although it probably would help the game play with others to just see each card as it's own individual archetype.
Old 27-08-2018, 02:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealily
I don't necessarily disagree with strong links between the abovementioned cards (I was taught the major arcana kind of follow a story)

however I would argue very similar links exist between the cards in a different format, eg

Fool + Magician

High Priestess + Empress

Emperor + Hierophant etc etc

In my head, it all smushes together in one big fat line of Fool - Magician - High Priestess - Empress - Emperor etc etc :)
My first tarot teacher also had a point of saying any reversed major arcana indicated that the upright version of the preceeding major arcana was the lesson that needed to be learned.
Exactly what I see. It just depends on what you base the complementing on.
I also see strong connection between Devil & Tower: Bondage & breaking free.
In general it's indeed a story, the Fool's path.
Old 27-08-2018, 02:45 PM
Master
Thanks for the feedback. It's great to have your thoughts on the matter. I agree that the Trumps are the Fool's journey. The thing about the pairs of cards that I mentioned is that the pairs are adjacent to each other and they run in succession. Except for The Fool and The World which are the first and the last cards. Plus Death and Judgement which stand on either side of the six polarised cards.