Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 27-08-2014, 11:07 PM
samsara4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar_Ice
Hey I don't mean to sound negative at all in any way but I just feel like an idiot when I spend 10 - 30 minutes chanting a sanskrit mantra - like Om Dum Durgayei Namaha. It's weird cause I feel this inner pull towards certain sanskrit mantras and I know deep within myself that their good for anyone who wishes to advance spiritually, however how come I'm just not having any experiences with any of them despite the fact that I have no expectations? Like after a year of practicing it's like nothings happening and my friends/family think I'm stupid/weird for doing this and I don't blame them at all cause it's not like I'm getting any results whatsoever despite my hard effort + open mind towards whatever.

Could anyone help me out with this at all? I can't just continue doing the same thing over and over with no results I'll eventually just quit/go crazy lol

First of all, since you clearly stated that "I feel this inner pull towards certain sanskrit mantras and I know deep within myself that they're good for anyone who wishes to advance spiritually", then I would advise you to stick with what you intuitively feel to be the best practice in the moment for you personally. All of us are unique and what works for one may not work for another. Trust in your PURE intuition but keep in mind that PURE INTUITION has no ulterior motives and no expectation for "results".

I personally have found mantra meditation to be very effective even though, like yourself, I initially thought it to be a total waste of time as I too was looking for "results". As another poster indicated, you must do more than just chant the mantra mechanically. You must become absorbed into the mantra and "become one with it". Eventually, it will chant itself in every idle moment and will help you to soar like an eagle into the sky of consciousness. If you initially have difficulty staying focused on the mantra, then you can synchronize the mantra with the breath as another poster suggested. If that is not sufficient to sustain concentration, then you can ALSO focus your attention on a particular point or chakra that intuitively feels appropriate.

You will notice that, as you become one with mantra, the power of the presiding deity (Durga in your case with the mantra you indicated) will take over. As one thinks, so one becomes. It will ultimately allow wisdom and the accompanying great peace to emerge and that is the greatest "result" - restoration of one's true nature.

My personal mantra thrust itself on me. I used to go to yoga places in my early 20s and, every time they chanted mantras, I would make a quick exit. However, there were times when I could not exit easily and had to "endure" the mantra chanting. Surprisingly, whenever I got "stuck", it was ALWAYS the same mantra that was being chanted. In the future, whenever I realized that I could not avoid the mantra practice on a particular occasion, I actually anticipated that it would be "my mantra" and it inevitably turned out to be "my mantra". The mantra grew on me until I became totally absorbed in it. Later, when I was initiated by my guru, she asked if I wanted a mantra. Although I "knew" which mantra I wanted, I felt it best to trust in the guru. Not surprisingly, she gave me the same mantra and this validated my intuition. Years later, at the Khumba Mela in Haridwar, I had an awesome experience with a materializing yogi during which he pointed out the very same mantra to me. Having said that, mantras are like rafts that carry one to the other shore. While they are helpful initially, there is a point at which they are no longer necessary.

Mantras are uplifting. They reduce one's thoughts from many to one and, once there is only one thought/mantra, then one can still that thought and abide in the Great Stillness.

The posters on this thread have all given great input, and their words are wise. Since you yourself feel drawn to certain Sanskrit mantras AT THIS POINT IN TIME, then follow your pure intuition and devote yourself to that practice. When absorbed, it becomes effortless and you will find that you can't stop and don't even want to stop as the peace inherent in the practice becomes overwhelming and THEN the revelations come naturally, spontaneously, and effortlessly.

I LOVED your post. You seem sincere and very open and apparently very receptive but, above all, trust your "inner guide", your pure intuition, and it will unerringly guide your steps one-step-at-a-time.

Om Dum Durgayei Namaha
Old 05-09-2014, 08:54 AM
Polar_Ice

Miss hepburn, Pete and sams as well as everyone else - thanks for all of the replies

I kinda have a stronger feel on how I should chant now after reading through all of your posts. I feel like it's important to be relaxed and to simply chant it over and over until your conscious tells you to stop.

And that's a good explanation of why the breath is so important to follow

Sam - that's an awesome story u have there, it's really cool when you trust another person that ends up validating your intuition! And thanks for the advice like honestly I'll practice what u said and I'll let you know how it goes sometime in the future here as this whole sanskrit mantra thing has been on my mind for a long time now.

Thanks again everyone for all of the help, this site is unlike any other site I've been to - it seems like people here actually care about the consciousness of others which is frickin cool if u ask me
Old 08-09-2014, 04:39 PM
samsara4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar_Ice
Sam - that's an awesome story u have there, it's really cool when you trust another person that ends up validating your intuition! And thanks for the advice like honestly I'll practice what u said and I'll let you know how it goes sometime in the future here as this whole sanskrit mantra thing has been on my mind for a long time now.

Thanks again everyone for all of the help, this site is unlike any other site I've been to - it seems like people here actually care about the consciousness of others which is frickin cool if u ask me

I'm glad my story was helpful to you. My personal experiences have been very good with mantras and that comes from some one who was NOT initially drawn to them. If you follow your PURE intuition, it will guide you unerringly one-step-at-a-time. Good luck.
Old 22-09-2014, 09:05 AM
hengellisyydenoppilas

Weird how you feel idiot while chanting divine mantras. Let me tell you some of my experiences. I RARELY (probably once a month) meditate/ do mantra meditation. BUT, I listen mantras daily and sometimes chant along. I was 2 years ago super depressed, I listened black metal, I cutted my self, I spreaded negativity to other peoples, I wanted to do bad things to others, I liked to drink alot alcohol in orded to get drunk. I have got free from all this! just by listening mantras and sometimes chanting along. Take it easy, maybe you are not ready to meditate yet. Just like me. Listening mantras haves HUGE benefit :)
Old 05-10-2014, 10:51 PM
Polar_Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hengellisyydenoppilas
Weird how you feel idiot while chanting divine mantras. Let me tell you some of my experiences. I RARELY (probably once a month) meditate/ do mantra meditation. BUT, I listen mantras daily and sometimes chant along. I was 2 years ago super depressed, I listened black metal, I cutted my self, I spreaded negativity to other peoples, I wanted to do bad things to others, I liked to drink alot alcohol in orded to get drunk. I have got free from all this! just by listening mantras and sometimes chanting along. Take it easy, maybe you are not ready to meditate yet. Just like me. Listening mantras haves HUGE benefit :)

I think the main reason why I feel like an idiot is because nothing happens then my parents ask me why I'm chanting words then I question myself too and I can't answer them the way I'd like to because I havn't seen any results.

It's cool that you have lifted your whole vibrational level up though by chanting/listening to mantras. I always like hearing others success stories with anything in life It lifts my spirit up
Old 05-10-2014, 11:57 PM
I wonder if I wanted to chant to get into some 'state...what
would I chant?...I think...'I Am God, I Am God'...something like that...the reason?... so my mind would be programed with that instead of...
You ungrateful kids, you ungrateful kids....Money doesn't grow on trees, Money doesn't grow on trees...haha...

No.... maybe ...You can be and do anything you want, you are
free and limitless...
yes, that would be my chant.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru