Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 27-05-2019, 08:33 AM
Master
Objective Truth.

I used to believe in an objective truth. A truth which would be true regardless of peoples beliefs, opinions, perceptions etc. It has occurred to me that not many people here see it the same way.

There are many people here who seem to see it that truth depends upon how *they* see it. In the sense that what is true to them is the truth. This makes truth subjective. There can be no consensus as to what truth is because it depends upon each individual person!

I'm not sure! Is truth dependent upon HOW I see it? Is there no objective truth?

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 27-05-2019, 08:52 AM
Master
Always be true to yourself is my advice.

How's your foot?
Old 27-05-2019, 09:00 AM
Master

Absolute truth

The limited self bisects & interprets
Whilst the higher unifies & connects
The interpreter, the doubter, the questioner
Is the limited self as a narrow doer
The truth is known by direct wisdom imbibed
Our blossoming which cannot be described

Old 27-05-2019, 04:14 PM
Master

Honza, you have a habit of raising interesting questions..!

Perhaps there is no satisfactory answer to your question though, because it entirely depends on what topic you are thinking about. Is there 'objective truth' in various topics in science..? Sure, YET knowledge, despite carrying truthful observations, does tend to be incomplete. Is there an 'objective truth' in people's mystical experiences..? Maybe not in the strict sense, as they cater to an individual. However, I would still say that, yes, there is even the possibility of 'objective' truth there. How it presents itself may vary..

'The truth' therefore isn't about crazy relativism nor is it really about radical objectivity. There are different perspectives, however there are also lies and false conclusions, and it's also true spiritual 'truths' may present themselves differently to individuals who do the same practice. It's really about recognizing that it's not about the destination, but a road that goes on and on. The stuff you may find along the road can be truth, but your picture will be incomplete..
Old 27-05-2019, 11:38 PM
Knower
This is a good question.

Are there certain rules, readily observed and agreed upon, that our natural world seem to follow? Yes. While there are remarkable exceptions, if a human or other similarly-built animal here on Earth falls from over a few dozen feet, our fleshy bodies will go splat and most likely begin to decompose.

Are there fairly predictable patterns of cause, effect, and correlation in regards to quite a few phenomena? Yes. A bold or short-sighted person climbs up a tall skyscraper without a parachute. They slip or lose their grip, and begin plummeting to the concrete below. Their parachute does not deploy, because they did not bring it with them, and they flail in desperation while possibly screaming. Flapping their arms fails to slow their descent. They hit the concrete, organs rupturing and bones shattering.

Can we humans as either individuals or species ever know for certain that we know all there is to know? No. While we understand a good little bit about our history, our biology, and the physics of our observable universe, we are much too tiny and limited to truly comprehend the full scope of reality. Our brains would probably explode if we really tried, like our guts if we fell from that skyscraper.

"The universe is random. Not inevitable. It's simple chaos." -- Walter White

"Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" -- Albus Dumbledore
Old 28-05-2019, 06:36 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by edithaint
This is a good question.

Are there certain rules, readily observed and agreed upon, that our natural world seem to follow? Yes. While there are remarkable exceptions, if a human or other similarly-built animal here on Earth falls from over a few dozen feet, our fleshy bodies will go splat and most likely begin to decompose.

Are there fairly predictable patterns of cause, effect, and correlation in regards to quite a few phenomena? Yes. A bold or short-sighted person climbs up a tall skyscraper without a parachute. They slip or lose their grip, and begin plummeting to the concrete below. Their parachute does not deploy, because they did not bring it with them, and they flail in desperation while possibly screaming. Flapping their arms fails to slow their descent. They hit the concrete, organs rupturing and bones shattering.

Can we humans as either individuals or species ever know for certain that we know all there is to know? No. While we understand a good little bit about our history, our biology, and the physics of our observable universe, we are much too tiny and limited to truly comprehend the full scope of reality. Our brains would probably explode if we really tried, like our guts if we fell from that skyscraper.

Admirably put in my opinion.

Aldous Huxley gave his book 'Heaven and Hell' a sub-title, 'The Doors of Perception' and indicated thus, with this sub-title, our slight and rare excursions into the full scope of reality.
For those of us who have peeped through the slightly opened doors of perception or have seen the curtain quickly lift and drop there is no doubt that the instrument we call brain would tremble in fright at the prospect of facing that immense vista. Fortunately (if that is the right word) we have a collective unconsciousness which supports our endeavours by not leaving us high and dry.

There is nothing supernatural about this hidden reality, it's simply the place where everything belongs, each of us and every leaf is embedded in its Oneness.

It's tremendous.
Old 28-05-2019, 08:24 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busby
Admirably put in my opinion.

Aldous Huxley gave his book 'Heaven and Hell' a sub-title, 'The Doors of Perception' and indicated thus, with this sub-title, our slight and rare excursions into the full scope of reality.
For those of us who have peeped through the slightly opened doors of perception or have seen the curtain quickly lift and drop there is no doubt that the instrument we call brain would tremble in fright at the prospect of facing that immense vista. Fortunately (if that is the right word) we have a collective unconsciousness which supports our endeavours by not leaving us high and dry.

There is nothing supernatural about this hidden reality, it's simply the place where everything belongs, each of us and every leaf is embedded in its Oneness.

It's tremendous.

Wise man that Aldous Huxley.
Old 28-05-2019, 10:08 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBloggs
How's your foot?

I have just had the dressing changed this morning. The wound is clean and healing slowly. Thanks!

Old 28-05-2019, 10:08 AM
Master
Some interesting answers here. Thanks everyone.

Old 28-05-2019, 10:36 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
I have just had the dressing changed this morning. The wound is clean and healing slowly. Thanks!

Not getting worse is a good thing.